Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #81
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Valdosta , Georgia
New River Gorge National Park

My wife and I stayed at the Army Camp at the new river gorge national park. The entire time we were waiting for someone to come over to us and ask us to pay, but nothing. The rangers were very nice, and campground was empty, we were the only ones there most of the time. We would have overnighters show up and leave the next morning. But overall, 90%+ of the time we were alone out there about 100 feet from the river.
AirAbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirAbe View Post
My wife and I stayed at the Army Camp at the new river gorge national park. The entire time we were waiting for someone to come over to us and ask us to pay, but nothing. The rangers were very nice, and campground was empty, we were the only ones there most of the time. We would have overnighters show up and leave the next morning. But overall, 90%+ of the time we were alone out there about 100 feet from the river.
Sounds like a great place to camp.
What is the signicance of the "Army Camp"?

Thanks, dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Sounds like a great place to camp.
What is the signicance of the "Army Camp"?

Thanks, dan
Army Camp - New River Gorge National River (U.S. National Park Service)
Old 04-16-2019, 09:26 AM   #84
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Celina , MI
Best generators for boondocking?

I'm new to all this too, I bought an AS in October but couldn't start using it until I finished work and got some other things in order. I have been on the road since April 4th, but I have only been staying in RV parks with electrical and water hookups but I want to start boondocking. Can anyone recommend a good generator for it, preferably one that is on the smaller size because I will most likely have to get it in and out of my truck by myself every time I stop. Thanks.
pjmacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

Thanks for the information Alan.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:26 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmacer View Post
I'm new to all this too, I bought an AS in October but couldn't start using it until I finished work and got some other things in order. I have been on the road since April 4th, but I have only been staying in RV parks with electrical and water hookups but I want to start boondocking. Can anyone recommend a good generator for it, preferably one that is on the smaller size because I will most likely have to get it in and out of my truck by myself every time I stop. Thanks.
If size and weight is your most important characteristic, a Honda EU2200I or similar generator would be the first choice among those on Airforums. Many say it will run their A/C without an "EasyStart". I would suggest buying that one and trying it with your A/C without the EasyStart to see if works for you. You can always add an EasyStart to your A/C unit later. There are generic (less expensive) versions of the Honda if you want to save some money, but these may be slightly louder, less powerful and not have the Honda dealer support.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #87
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Celina , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
If size and weight is your most important characteristic, a Honda EU2200I or similar generator would be the first choice among those on Airforums. Many say it will run their A/C without an "EasyStart". I would suggest buying that one and trying it with your A/C without the EasyStart to see if works for you. You can always add an EasyStart to your A/C unit later. There are generic (less expensive) versions of the Honda if you want to save some money, but these may be slightly louder, less powerful and not have the Honda dealer support.
Thanks!
pjmacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #88
1 Rivet Member

BRIGHTON , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynon View Post
Hi. Boondocking is "camping out" with your Airstream as opposed to parking in a parking lot with hookups in your AS. It got its name because it is usually done out in the boondocks, that is, way out there away from things. It has come to mean parking anywhere without hookups, even at Wally World to some folks. Some people love it, and the AS is ideally set up for it if your batteries are strong and/or you have a generator or solar panel for back up. There's nothing like parking in the piney woods when the dogwoods are blooming with ALL those windows for a great view. You are in all that luxury completely out in the wild with the mockingbirds singing and the squirrels chattering, but safe from mosquitos and downpours, with the fridge full of good food and drinks. You can have whatever you want for supper, no reason to have to eat beanie-weenies and junk food. For me there is almost nothing like being the only human in ten miles in the national forests of Louisiana in the spring or fall. I don't have to listen to the neighbors choice of what he thinks is music, or smell his supper cooking on the grill, or put up with the mutt that to him is "man's best friend" but is just a barking machine to me, or keep all the curtains closed because there is an RV on all sides. It's great.

UNLESS it's not spring or summer, and it's 90 or better and the humidity is 90 or better and you REALLY CRAVE AC! Or you are not well prepared and your electrical needs exceed your supply and you wind up with dead batteries, or you just crave a little company, or if you are socialized to feeling more secure around people. Some people get lonely and bored.

I read where someone wrote on another thread that they didn't like boondocking because they had to give up the luxuries -- "isn't that why we bought an AS in the first place?" Well, what I like is that with my AS and a small generator I can go to an unspoiled place and stay as long as I want and take my luxuries with me, sleep in my own bed, have everything I want right in the drawer or closet. There's nothing like sitting up in the morning with all the drapes open and watching a herd of deer walking across the clearing ...

Waynon
What size is your "small generator"? Does it allow you to keep your fridge going? If not, what do you pack for food?
juliesAS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #89
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliesAS22 View Post
What size is your "small generator"? Does it allow you to keep your fridge going? If not, what do you pack for food?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynon View Post
... Well, what I like is that with my AS and a small generator I can go to an unspoiled place and stay as long as I want ...
It was an unspoiled place until they fired up the generator.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
This thread was started in 2006... just in case you didn't notice.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #91
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliesAS22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
This thread was started in 2006... just in case you didn't notice.
Resurrecting an old thread can sometimes lead to useful information. However, the Air Forums member quoted by juliesAS22 in post #88 hasn't been active on Air Forums since September 2010 so it's not likely Waynon will reply.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:04 PM   #92
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
So - providing an answer the question might help.

Yes, a generator will provide enough power to charge the batteries. That provides 12 volt power to run the refrigerator control circuits. The refrigerator cooling runs on propane. Assume you need a 2000/2200 watt generator. Some folks use a 3000-3500 watt unit so they can run AC. Note - a soft start modification will let a 2000/2200 generator run AC.

Enjoy your research. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:14 PM   #93
1 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Sure. But there are measures you can take to minimize this risk. For example, hitch ball locks and tire locks. Criminals like easy targets. Make it not worth the time it would take to steal.
Narallieda is offline   Reply With Quote