Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Golden , Colorado
What do I need to do to Boondock

Hello - I am new to Rv’ing (2018 Airstream Motorhome). What do I need to do (e.g. turn on something - inverter?) to successfully boondock?

Much Appreciated.
jgummoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
what model do you have?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:31 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Littleton , Colorado
Boondocking simply put is just camping without hookups, you will need water in your fresh water tank, propane in your tanks and charged batteries. We do it all the time, you will need to figure out how to conserve your water and batteries to make them last. Get out and enjoy the great outdoors
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Best way to learn what you need and how to do it is to boondock in your driveway. If you are going to do it for 3 days boondock in the driveway for 3 days and so on. I will give you a hint, if you don't use a generator, don't use the inverter. It uses 2 amps just idling.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:54 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
what model do you have?
2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Old 10-15-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Best way to learn what you need and how to do it is to boondock in your driveway. If you are going to do it for 3 days boondock in the driveway for 3 days and so on. I will give you a hint, if you don't use a generator, don't use the inverter. It uses 2 amps just idling.
Thanks Brian. So when do I or should I use the inverter?
Old 10-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Your owner's manual can instruct you on the function of the inverter, and the multitude of other topics which relate to boondocking. Also, the following forum for your 2018 Interstate model has many threads discussing the issues you are raising:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/

Good luck,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Avoid mud with a trialer.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:22 AM   #9
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
The technique I used to learn my trailer's capabilities is to start the day in a full hookup site with a full fresh water tank, charged batteries and food stores...and disconnect shore power and water.
Then just go about your day. Do the things you would normally do. Cook, clean, read, use the facilities, take a shower, watch a movie or use the computer - whatever you feel like doing...while monitoring your electrical and water usage through the day. You will quickly learn what activities might need to be shortened or curtailed, and how long you can last cut off from outside sources. Hook up, charge up, and try it again with the behavioral modifications. Try it at different times of the year. Observe how that propane heater fan sucks down the battery in cold weather. Keep a record of how many days before you need to switch propane tanks, and when your water runs low. Will blankets and water cans stretch your day? Another solar panel? More batteries? Lithium? All depends on what you want to do when boondocking.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgummoe View Post
Thanks Brian. So when do I or should I use the inverter?
Use the Inverter when you know you have excess battery storage, or when you can easily recharge the batteries, for example if you are planning to run a generator for a few hours. While boon docking, use the inverter to watch a movie or to run a small appliance for a short time and then turn it off. If you plan to boon dock for more than a couple days without a generator or solar charger, it would be best to avoid using the inverter, the entertainment equipment and whatnot. A 2 hour movie could use about 15-25 Amp-hr or 20% of your battery useful capacity. Overnight with an electric blanket same thing.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
I usually keep my fresh water tank mostly full and my black tank empty. Regarding electrical consumption, it’s simple math. Let’s say that you have 2 AGM batteries with an 80 amp hour usable capacity. If you have the fridge and freezer running and are going about burning lights and washing hands, then you might be using 10 amps per hour. You can stay off grid with no input for 8 hours which means, with the fridge and freezer running, your 2 AGM's will be out of energy by 2 am. The Interstate is not designed to boondock. You do not want your battery capacity to drop below 12.2. I bought a Goal Zero 3000 which has a 250 amp hour usable capacity. The coach batteries can manage the normal 1 amp draw plus the lights and pump, etc. The fridge and freezer plug into the GZ. With 400 watts on the roof, the coach batteries rarely drop below 100%. I can easily go overnight without any issues. I then replenish the GZ while driving or by running the Onan. Leave the propane switch in the off position while not in use. If you are parked somewhere and need heat while sleeping, plug an electric blanket into the GZ. Also, please update your profile to show what Airstream that you have.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Golden , Colorado
Great info. I do have 300 watts of solar. And btw... I have been reading the manuals but just trying to get an idea of what I should or shouldn’t do/use for various scenarios (30 amp Vs 15 amp vs boondocking).

Thanks again Brian.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #13

1995 30' Limited
Amity , Oregon
Boondocking

BOONDOCKING requires thinking over everything when there is no water, RV dump and electricity. Test and practice are key things.

WATER: We bought food grade blue 55 gallon drums and connected a spicket to one of the bungs. We built a half-moon holder from old crates to set it on inside of our truck. Then we got a 10ft and 25 ft food grade hoses. We connected the one hose to the spicket and other end we connected it to a water pump, that ran off of the trailer connected to a Cumming generator. From there the another hose was connected to a water filter and a clear hose with a lever to turn on that fills the trailer. To refill the water, we went to a nearby State Park and got free water into the 55 gal drum.

RV DUMP: About once a week we took the RV to the State Park to dump black and gray water.

POWER: We used a remote start 4500i Cummins generator for power. We turned it off at night and used batteries and propane for fridge and stove. Then restarted it during the day to charge batteries. You will need a ground. We used an old gun barrel actually.

Constantly check your levels for black and gray water. We filled up our gray water much quicker and had to dump it into a ditch. Black water we emptied at the RV Dump at the nearest State Park.

We were on our property in Montana for a week. We had no issues with our 1995 Airstream. It was awesome.
General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:12 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
GR8 suggestion! Better than driveway camping--imho
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote