Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2022, 08:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
WEIGHT added to Tow Vehicle and Trailer

We Off the Grid Boondock.

Trailer camping substituted for our pre trailer days, Tent camping.

We carry LESS to OTG Boondock when Tent Camping.

We carry MORE to OTG Boondock when towing an Airstream.

Why, you may be thinking. Think no more, I have reasons. Learned the 'hard way'.

A Tent does not need tools to Fix and Repair while on the road. An Airstream has many moving and non moving parts... that can become detached or break down. When Trailer Camping at a RV Park... help is a cell phone call away. Dial, they come at $150 an hour, more or less.

We have NO cell service most of the time in Off the Grid campsites in the Rocky Mountains. Few people in these areas do not get Cell Towers... but Satellite Service. We opt for NO television, barely have AM or FM Radio... sometimes Cell Service.

Two Blue Heelers, add six gallon water jug for them. Dog food for three weeks.

Cell Service means little. The closest town or community may not even have a full time mechanic or tow service. These options could be 50 miles, 75 miles one way.

Experience owning three Airstreams... tools needed for Wheel Bearing repair, brake adjustments, loose bolts, screws, rivets and cabinet hardware was needed to be fixed. No Tools other than pliers, screw drive, a socket set, grease, paper towels and some hardware.

Today, I can do most any mechanical repairs to an Airstream, with the tools I carry from previous needs while on the road.

If we break down in the back country... I have enough hardware to limp to civilization. I could buy wheel bearings on the older models and install them in a parking lot. I should buy a spare Wheel Bearing Set for the 27 foot... but already have too much. I can remove the tire on that axle... and limp into town. If the one behind it fails, I could take a good side off the opposite side and limp into town with one axle. You do what you would have to do.

Build up a Tool Set for YOUR kind of travel and camping. Tools weigh a lot for the heavier Hitch bolts and removing wheel bearings, wood blocks and a hammer for some needs, etc. You add as you needed them.

Eventually, as I find myself with the 2019 27FBQ... I am more confident that the tools being hauled may not be needed... for awhile. But... missing that one tool when needed... a disaster.

When figuring your Tow Vehicle option add Tool Weight. You are going to ask, "Ray what tools DO you carry on each trip?"

You need to find me and I can pull out what I carry. We gave plenty of chips, popped bags of various pop corn, and fig newtons... if you help.

If you think you will get by without some tools... count on $150 an hour for a service vehicle to find you, determine the problem, go back to town and find the part(s) needed, or have to order.

Many owners never consider a break down to happen to them. I carry some common hardware, new fuel filter, air filter for the Diesel F350, as an example.

I may not look like it, but I am mechanically inclined. Not electrical. If I can see it or smell it, I can probably fix it or do something temporarily. I have a great nose and need glasses for close up mechanical work. Like chipping an Axe, kind of skill from Flint.

Down in the Boondocks? Be prepared. Often we see no one where we are camped and it may be a major NFS or BLM road that locals use. Short cuts for locals to go from point A to B.

If this all seems confusing... Learn On the Job. You will. We did. Now we are prepared... and nothing seems to happen. Our Airstream is now... Tweaked.

The 23 and 25 foot we sold used... were TWEAKED and those new owners should be happy for it.