Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Flashlight in a Holster... for Evening Protection?

At NIGHT, Boondocking Off the Grid or within a RV Park one safe, a harmless first choice in protection. Not a 45... but UP TO a 100,000.

Carry the highest lumen FLASHLIGHT you can find that slides into a holster.

The bright light will temporarily blind anyone long enough, so you can run away to... safety? Much like a low lumen flash bulb used in the past to take photographs. Obviously you must have a plan of some sort after your escape.

Most potential victims have never had an event requiring Police Protection. It is usually random and you happen to be in the Right Place at the Wrong Time. You do not plan for an event that has risk or bodily harm, although you must be alert and not a passive victim in waiting.

At the worse... if you do feel the need for instant protection and the situation merits some diversion... grab a hand full of sand or dirt and ...try.... to toss it into the individual's face.

Most in a tense situation will be shaking out of control. I have watched people freeze with a harmless snake in the trail. A spider gets many to panic. Running away from Yellow Jackets or Hornets is a common instinct... which is also the dumbest way to learn to stand still. A yellow jacket or hornet does not know you from a tree if you stand still.

I offered an opportunity on a New Mexico Adventure for anyone wanting to handle a 22 caliber semi automatic pistol, do some target practice and how to safely handle a firearm. No one asked. One who did post on this Thread did carry a weapon, but did not ask to participate, but probably would have.

Security is learned from experience. Traveling in a group is a very secure way to travel and camp in new, remote locations. By your self... you are on your own. It is a learned behavior, not instinct endowed upon you at birth... which is to RUN or to stand there and mentally consider ALL the possible options available in the first second.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
The thought of shots being fired from inside your trailer...I’m not sure how to balance one’s right to protect themselves from within their trailer with the rights of someone in a trailer parked nearby. No matter the brand, trailer walls are pretty thin - it seems a miss could project a bullet through one trailer and in to another, possibly injuring or killing an innocent bystander.

No intent to infringe on 2nd amendment rights in the US - nor would I want to infringe on a fellow camper’s right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...

Feeling like the wasp, bear, pepper spray options strike a somewhat decent balance - and agree if someone is just hellbent on destruction, most bets are off anyway. Last - totally agree it’s great to be prepared for worst case AND keep in context that the odds of worst case are exceptionally small and shouldn’t paralyze us from enjoying our rolling homes as intended.

“What’s so funny ‘bout peace, love, and understanding?”

I think the rights of your neighboring camper take precedence. You shoot them by accident and you are in BIG trouble. Your right to defend yourself, loved ones, and even your Airstream will unfortunately very by state.....not so much in California but no question in Texas!
Old 11-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
The thought of shots being fired from inside your trailer...I’m not sure how to balance one’s right to protect themselves from within their trailer with the rights of someone in a trailer parked nearby. No matter the brand, trailer walls are pretty thin - it seems a miss could project a bullet through one trailer and in to another, possibly injuring or killing an innocent bystander.

No intent to infringe on 2nd amendment rights in the US - nor would I want to infringe on a fellow camper’s right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...

Feeling like the wasp, bear, pepper spray options strike a somewhat decent balance - and agree if someone is just hellbent on destruction, most bets are off anyway. Last - totally agree it’s great to be prepared for worst case AND keep in context that the odds of worst case are exceptionally small and shouldn’t paralyze us from enjoying our rolling homes as intended.

“What’s so funny ‘bout peace, love, and understanding?”
I agree that spraying bullets indiscriminately, especially in a crowded place, is never a good idea. That’s why I say that if one wants to get a gun for self protection, they need to get training that will 1) teach them how to handle a firearm safely and with confidence and, 2) teach the practicalities of using a gun for self defense. If one is not willing to do that, then stick with the bear spray.

You’re responsible for every bullet that leaves the muzzle of your gun. That’s a sobering thought.

I’m all for peace, love and understanding.... and usually try to practice that. I’m sure the family that just got shot up in Mexico were peaceful and loving, but that didn’t help when confronted by a deranged Narco trafficker who knows nothing about peace and love.

As for some of the comments regarding having no chance against overwhelming odds: I’d rather have a fighting chance than not to. There’s a saying: “it’s better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it”

When you’ve taken whatever steps that you deem reasonable to keep your family safe, there’s no need to dwell on what could go wrong; as you say, enjoy the Airstream experience.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
It is a slippery slope we stand at the edge of. Should we tempt fate and try the slope, or should we restrain ourselves and just look. Once rung, the bell of opinion cannot be un-rung.
I just want to enjoy my AS and the places I go. Refuse to be a victim.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #65
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Number 1 rule

Don't travel in Mexico. You're not going to win against a stoned guy holding a .50 cal machine gun.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 11-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
News saying the (Padre Island) suspect(s) arrested in Mexico. Career criminal who was released from federal prison recently.

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
News saying the (Padre Island) suspect(s) arrested in Mexico. Career criminal who was released from federal prison recently.
I think that guy will soon have a date with a needle. Texas doesn’t mess around.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renascence View Post
It is a slippery slope we stand at the edge of. Should we tempt fate and try the slope, or should we restrain ourselves and just look. Once rung, the bell of opinion cannot be un-rung.
I just want to enjoy my AS and the places I go. Refuse to be a victim.
I don’t feel any sliding or other movement currently. I’m good where I am 😀
Old 11-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by isuzusweet View Post
number 1 rule

don't travel in mexico. You're not going to win against a stoned guy holding a .50 cal machine gun.

Cheers
sidekick tony
+1.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
I think that guy will soon have a date with a needle. Texas doesn’t mess around.

Only if his extradition from Mexico has no conditions attached. It can get legally interesting down there when it comes to capital murder. Mexico does not believe in capital punishment.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I hope he fesses up, and tells us exactly what happened.

Police are witholding cause of death...

Maggie
Old 11-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Only if his extradition from Mexico has no conditions attached. It can get legally interesting down there when it comes to capital murder. Mexico does not believe in capital punishment.
I didn’t realize he was apprehended in Mexico. That’s a real shame. Mexico apparently doesn’t believe in law & order. That’s why I have no interest in going there.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:04 AM   #73
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Most in a tense situation will be shaking out of control. I have watched people freeze with a harmless snake in the trail. A spider gets many to panic. Running away from Yellow Jackets or Hornets is a common instinct... which is also the dumbest way to learn to stand still. A yellow jacket or hornet does not know you from a tree if you stand still.

Hi

When you get hit by about 6 gallons of adrenaline, you are in a very different state than normal. Fight or flee, staying in control becomes *much* more difficult. If this kind of thing isn't part of your normal experience, managing it can be quite difficult. Indeed coming back off that rush also requires a bit of management ....

Bob
Old 11-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My husband used to say “when things go bad, they go bad very quickly”, and I have found that to be true.

Best to hope your instincts serve you well, because that’s where your safety will lie.

Maggie
Old 11-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This recent article states the NH couple were found “three miles south of Bob Hall pier”, in a “desolate” section of beach.

https://abc7chicago.com/man-arrested...beach/5678724/

That is good for clarification.

Maggie
Old 11-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #76
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
I find this whole discussion about Boondocking and carrying Guns to be safe in America very sad - I am glad I live in Canada. While Toronto seems to becoming a bit scary (for me as a Canadian) with around 35 murders by guns each year (I wonder where these guns come from?).

Also like most of you have written, I too use common sense and listen to that wee small voice inside me is saying when it come to being smart where I camp. If I have to be armed with a gun each place I go camping to feel safe in the US, because of my Canadian cultural background perhaps I just wouldn't go there. So thank you for inferring through this discussion that perhaps I should change my future Travel Plans.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
Old 11-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #77
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , AB
In my very real experience, thugs are scared of two things:
1. A woman with a handgun/shotgun.
2. A man with a big knife.

A man with a gun is not feared so much. The thugs 'know' that common folks will hesitate to use it, which gives them time to take it from you.

I am a vet, so nobody can take my pistol, but a thug will not turn and run away from a man with a gun, until a bullet grazes his earlobe.

However, a thug will move off, if you have a big hunting knife, with the tip lodged under his chin and a trickle of blood running down his neck... but whatever you do, you need to be fast, since you will get only one chance.

The point is that there are a small number of incredibly horrible people in the world and you need to be prepared to handle them one way or another. Being a sheep, only works if there is a big flock and you are in the middle.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #78
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
The only significant risk in boondocking is the high chance of death or injury in a vehicle accident getting there
Trip map at Spotwalla
Old 11-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
Well, for the personal safety part, I'm a gun guy, been around firearms all my life. My Mrs was not and didn't used to like them but, was opened minded and wanted to learn to shoot. Now she thinks it is a fun past time, and she's become a way better shot than me. She's the one in the family bugging to go to the range!

Anyway, we carry when we travel. My favorite sidearm is a 44 mag revolver (yes, the dirty harry caliber)with a 4 inch barrel BUT loaded with .44 shot rounds. Lethal at close range(10 feet...pretty close), the shot rounds have the advantage of close up power and lethality, but the advantage of the small shot not traveling far with enough power to penetrate your neighbors house or camper. Shot rounds also do not make the gun recoil like 245 GR lead bullet so you won't end up with sprained wrist from it.

If you carry: practice, know your firearm, know the law where ever you are, and know the rules of engagement. It's not about being macho or a tv(that's 'tv' for 'television', not 'tow vehicle'!) hero. It's about surviving in an 'us or them' life and death circumstance.
Your best defense is your mind; if you think an area or the people look sketchy...keep going.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #80

North Charleston , South Carolina
I have a gun in case of bears
Closed Thread