Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-12-2019, 06:09 AM   #141
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
You are right.....but where does your right to carry a gun, out way a person that doesn't. That's the problem with gun folks that talk of unarmed people as "sheep". Gun people think they are somehow smarter than people that don't carry.

As for an assault rifle.....why by your own definition would you want an untrained civilian processing an "assault" weapon? There is NO reason whatsoever a civilian should possess any weapon capable of delivering hundreds of high velocity rounds, period!

Don't even try to define them as hunting rifles. True hunting rifles are bolt action, and by their design force you to wait, make sure you have correctly identified your target, calculated range, windage, patience and practice......because you have just one shot! It gives the hunted a sporting chance if the hunter or weapon isn't up to snuff.

Spraying a target with ammo from a crap gun like the AR series isn't hunting. At least use a FN FAL! Trust me, after three shots from a FN FAL, most people are shooting the sky.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
My right to carry a firearm in no way impacts you... unless you decide to attempt to assault me! If 'being smarter' means being more prepared in the event a criminal attempts to victimize someone and they are able to thwart that attack by having a firearm available.... then YES... that potential victim was and is smarter by having that ability to protect themselves.
SnowWanderer is offline  
Old 11-12-2019, 06:19 AM   #142
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
You are right.....but where does your right to carry a gun, out way a person that doesn't. That's the problem with gun folks that talk of unarmed people as "sheep". Gun people think they are somehow smarter than people that don't carry.

As for an assault rifle.....why by your own definition would you want an untrained civilian processing an "assault" weapon? There is NO reason whatsoever a civilian should possess any weapon capable of delivering hundreds of high velocity rounds, period!

Don't even try to define them as hunting rifles. True hunting rifles are bolt action, and by their design force you to wait, make sure you have correctly identified your target, calculated range, windage, patience and practice......because you have just one shot! It gives the hunted a sporting chance if the hunter or weapon isn't up to snuff.

Spraying a target with ammo from a crap gun like the AR series isn't hunting. At least use a FN FAL! Trust me, after three shots from a FN FAL, most people are shooting the sky.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Tony.... what is an 'assault rifle' and how does that differ from a baseball bat being used to assault and kill someone? Doesn't that make it an 'assault bat'? And a butcher knife being used to stab a victim.... is that an 'assault knife'? What about a flare gun used to kill someone.... is that an 'assault flare gun'?

Any firearm can be improperly used to 'spray the sky' by rapid finger pulls.

But don't get started on the 'assault rifle' tangent... you obviously are clueless when it comes to firearm types, nomenclature, identification, uses, capabilities etc., or the intelligence of those who utilize the otherwise inanimate object.
SnowWanderer is offline  
Old 11-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #143
Rivet Master
 
billrector's Avatar
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermy1987 View Post
As for the OP's thread going off topic. Well. Nobody could have ever saw that coming now could they? You're literally asking a bunch of Americans on how to best protect yourself!!!!!
It was on the path to this from the get go. Still. Even though theres a bit of "I'm right, You're wrong" going on. It's much more interesting reading than the usual bunch of guys banging on about pick up trucks and the best tires to buy.

From reading all the posts. So far I have learnt that people have too much fear of going out into the wild where they're infinitely safer residing for the weekend than in any city anywhere. And also:

You should keep bright paint at your door so after you get attacked, the police can find the suspect easier.

Something about security cameras. I guess they can watch the guy who attacked you running around with paint all over him.

Calling the cops (if you even have reception) will result in them arriving 5 to 24 hours later.

Some people like guns. Some people hate them.

Canadians don't have as many guns, so Americans shouldn't either.

Spraying chemicals into peoples eyes is pretty effective at dehabilitating them.

Dogs bark at strange noises and can protect their owners.

Something about men running away from men with knives, but not from men with guns.

And lastly. If someone tries to attack you and you happen to shoot them with a gun. Chances are they wont be attacking you. But it is important to get training first. Cause I said so and if I didn't say that, I'd be irresponsible, so there for I have to.


Great summary!
billrector is offline  
Old 11-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #144
3 Rivet Member
 
1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
So there has been a genocide in Britain since it constituted a handgun ban; or Australia? Has there been a genocide in New Zealand, since that governments decision to ban assault and semi automatic weapons?
It hasn't, because they are civilized sociaties that value life over death; however, this could never happen in the US.

As for your suggestion that AR's are fantastic hunting rifles.....if you and I faced off; you with your AR, and me with a FN FAL, (British SLR); or better yet, my 50 year old bolt action L42A1; you'd lose.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
I'm sorry to say. But no society, civilized or other is exempt from falling under the powers of a tyrannical government. It's this naive position you take that allows it to happen. Do you think all the people in Germany, which was a civilized society foresaw their futures. Or Russia. Or. Geez the list goes on until before the Roman empire. That was then, this is now, We're civilized. Perhaps you need to take another look at history. And take a look at how extreme people are behaving right now over their arbitrary leaders.

Auatralians gave up their guns in 1994. Its hardly generations ago. What about 10, 20 or 30 years from now? Is it still going to be the same country? I'm Australian myself. And I sure as hell don't know the answer to that one. Britain has been oppressed by its own government time and time again through history. It just happens to be before modern technology. But. Yes the were still "civilized".

As I have no intention to "face off" with anyone. I'll leave that one alone.
Shermy1987 is offline  
Old 11-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #145
Newbie Wannabe
 
darcym's Avatar
 
San Diego , CA
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWanderer View Post
Cops and ready access to guns???!!! Keep in mind that police officers generally REACT to situations. As such, when a bad guy starts to assault an officer, the officer has to recognize the threat, evaluate the severity of the threat, determine an appropriate response to that threat and begin to act upon that threat... in a split second. The bad guy always has the upper hand. When the bad guy gets the first shot off and hits the officer in the head or heart, it did not matter that the officer had a gun!
By your own logic then, it would not matter for you either.

My worry will always be in pulling the trigger, because that's the whole point of having it in the first place. Also, because I recognize that I could be wrong. Anyone who's ever been guilty of misjudgment would realize that's a potentiality. There are no take backs once the weapon has fired (and even a bullet shot into the air has to come down somewhere).
__________________
Have no airstream yet
Definitely want a twin bed, maybe a 25 footer
Want Ford Expedition tow vehicle
Retirement pending
darcym is offline  
Old 11-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #146
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,805
If you don't know what an "assault" rifle is, then it is you that is clueless.

As a former RM Commando with extensive weapons training on a number of weapons systems, I'd be the first to admit to being pretty rusty; but far from clueless

Again, another gun owner trying to demean a person that doesn't share his opinion, all because he doesn't have a logical argument to counter with.

I don't argue with fools, as from a distance, who can tell who the fool is.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWanderer View Post
Tony.... what is an 'assault rifle' and how does that differ from a baseball bat being used to assault and kill someone? Doesn't that make it an 'assault bat'? And a butcher knife being used to stab a victim.... is that an 'assault knife'? What about a flare gun used to kill someone.... is that an 'assault flare gun'?

Any firearm can be improperly used to 'spray the sky' by rapid finger pulls.

But don't get started on the 'assault rifle' tangent... you obviously are clueless when it comes to firearm types, nomenclature, identification, uses, capabilities etc., or the intelligence of those who utilize the otherwise inanimate object.
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline  
Old 11-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #147
Rivet Master
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post
........

If all it took was ready access to a gun, along with exceptional training and skill, then there would never be a police officer killed in the line of duty.

In the martial arts, we're trained to not use our skills. But even if you do, you never know if your opponent has better skills. Even if you have a gun, they may have one too. You don't know. My biggest issue with a gun is that I don't know that I would be able to use it ... knowing that I would kill another person. Or worse, if I would harm an innocent. Even that split second of hesitation has put me in a far more dangerous situation than not having the weapon at all. Also, any weapon you have in a fight is a weapon that can be used against you. It's only a deterrent if someone is deterred.

I think that situational awareness is key. Just because I don't have a gun, doesn't mean I'm defenseless, or a victim. There is a reason I haven't been a victim (yet), and I intend to keep it that way. But there is always the possibility that someone with bad intent, or bad thoughts, will want to do me harm. Not all will be easily deterred, but some will choose another target if I can make myself appear to be more dangerous. Part of that is not panicking, not being afraid, refusing to back down, and being ready. But mostly it's not letting you get to the point where you have to defend yourself. In the end, there may be nothing that I can do to stop it, short of walling myself away in a fortress. So I accept that I am mortal. It is not sticking my head in the sand. It is reality. We all become a statistic, eventually.......
I disagree with the first statement concerning police officers. No two situations are the same. And nobody ever said having a gun guarantees your safety; it just improves your chances of survival. Unfortunately in certain areas of the country cops have targets on their back.

I agree with the next 2 paragraphs. This is pretty much what youíre taught in defensive pistol training. Funny, isnít it?
KK4YZ is offline  
Old 11-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #148
Moderator
 
Kevin245's Avatar

 
Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,699
Images: 9
This thread is closed.
__________________

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vehicle Security - What have you done? Tiato Sprinter and B-van Forum 93 07-24-2020 10:56 AM
A ponder - Would Have,Could Have ,Should Have Life is a Highway Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 37 11-01-2019 07:55 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.