Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
in 25 years of camping, I have never been accosted by sketchy people.
But I also don't frequent boon docking spots.
I suspect many more people carry firearms than post about it. I tried it (I'm pro gun) but I spent too much time worrying about it being stolen, or being stopped while crossing Illinois, for example. So I stopped.
Once we were considering a COE campground on Flaming George. I drove in (very remote, but beautiful) and the other campers just made me feel vulnerable. I moved on to the dismay of my buddy.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:07 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Earlier this year we were campground hosts at a State park. About 3 a.m. we heard a soft knock. It woke us up, but at first we thought it was just the cat using the litter box. Then we heard it again. I quickly put some warmer clothes on and opened the door. There stood a man, with a motor home parked on the road. He was looking for a campsite with 50A service. I explained to him that (a) all the electric sites were taken and (b) not even the two host sites had 50A service.

After the brief conversation about any other commercial parks (we're not from the area, so we don't know), I went back inside and called 911. A deputy was dispatched, but about 4 a.m. the man drove off. I called 911 back to tell them that. I found out later that day that the deputy DID make contact with the man - at the dump station. It seems that he thought 4:00 a.m. was the proper time to dump and fill! I really wish I had known about that at that time, as the park charges $10 for non-campers to dump.

After what happened to that couple, we're going to be rethinking how we will answer knocks on the door, especially middle of the night ones.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
Old 11-05-2019, 07:16 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
BUCKEYE , AZ
Your security

The most important thing for you to know is that you are responsible for your own safety. When seconds count remember law enforcement is minutes or an hour away.
There are many schools out there that can teach you self defense. BUT like me your probably not a young person. Even with years of training at my age I would not want to go up against 2or3 dirt bags. Someone coming at you with a knife, don't reach for the fire extinguisher, they will find your dead body with it in your hand. Police are taught 20 ft away from you is reason to shot to kill.
With this said, the choice is yours, do you value your family? Your loved ones? Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
This is not a particularly fun topic. The RV community is generally a happy, adventurous, sociable bunch of folks where many are living their dream of freedom and their love of nature, but the recent tragic deaths of a New-Hampshire couple who had their TV and trailer stolen (not found yet) in the Corpus Christi / Padre Island TX area does raise questions about security for the many who love to boondock.

Some will say that they never leave home without packing some fire power, so be it, but for those who can’t or do not wish to do so, are there any other security tips or technologies (cameras, alarms, satellite tracking, etc.) that you use to secure your prized rig and more importantly your personal safety? Are you concerned by security? Some have stated that the further you are from cities the safer you are, true or not? Others will only stay in “secured” campgrounds and wouldn’t consider boondocking. Does security influence your decision as to where you stay overnight or for longer periods?

There are new members joining the airstream community every year; do the more experienced “old salts” have any recommendations based on their years on the road?
Old 11-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I’ll open the door if I see a police car and a cop, maybe security, otherwise there’s no reason to knock on my door. If you knock on my door in the middle of the night I automatically assume you’re crazy and will not open the door as avoiding confrontation with a stranger in that situation is my first priority. I will shout through the door. One of the great benefits of owning a firearm is the pride you find in yourself when handling it (an object of such controversy) with great respect and responsibility. If everybody did that we would have zero issues.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:00 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Ya know, an Airstream or any other RV for that matter is not exactly a fortress. If you’re in a secluded area and thugs are outside your door intent on coming in or gettting access to you, you’re really not in a very good position. As for me, a can of bug spray doesn’t cut it as a defensive tool.

We all agree that situations like that are extremely rare, but that’s little consolation for the 0.01% of folks who may experience such a situation.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:07 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Do not turn on lights in the trailer. You will make a shadow of yourself and if you open the door, you will most likely have night blindness. Also a shot fired inside will make you temporary deaf.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
xxxx
Old 11-05-2019, 11:07 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Frightening and sad story. In my work I had to send people into war zones. The most important safety device is instinct. If you remain aware you will get a feeling when something isn’t right . Listen to your FIRST gut. And don’t worry about insulting someone.
As travelers we tend to be open and enjoy meeting strangers but some people are just strange—or worse. And finally while it’s easy to believe cities are the most dangerous, think about this: people who live in the “boondocks” often don’t want to be found for good reason.
P.S. Unless you are a sociopath or a well & recently trained sharp shooter, you’re not likely to disable an armed criminal. He/she will not think twice about pulling the trigger .
Prayers for all travelers...
Old 11-06-2019, 03:04 AM   #49
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I’ve been traveling by RV my entire life and never had an incident that was remotely a concern.
Hotel parking lots and hallways are what worry me the most.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Old 11-06-2019, 05:50 AM   #50
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If somebody is out to kill to take your stuff, you don’t have a chance. They have all the advantages and you simply can’t react fast enough. This sort of event is incredibly rare. There are many far more likely ways to die sitting in your nice warm house.

There *is* a very real possibility is your plan going sideways, resulting in harm to an innocent bystander. Even with a lot of training, this sort of thing happens. In a “real” situation, a second or two is about all you have. There isn’t much time to do a lot of analysis.

There are an enormous range of situations. 99% of them do not escalate. This or that may indeed make them less likely to do so. It still is my belief that stuff can happen anywhere. The parking lot at the local pizza joint is no safer than the typical campground.

Lots of variables.....

Bob
Old 11-06-2019, 06:01 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Hermes - I purchased a small pepper spray "gun" 2 summers ago in a gun shop in Montana. I even have a little holster for it that snugly wraps around my ankle with velcro so it's always on me. It can "shoot" twice (and then its depleted) and the range is 12-15 feet and the speed of the blast is fast (don't have the specs on me) and it gives me a sense of security in that I don't feel totally defenseless. It incapacitates the 'bad person' for 45 minutes, plenty of time for me to run. It is legal in all 50 states. It is 8-9 times more potent than bear spray so would probably stop a bear as well.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:56 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Been towing a travel trailer around since 1970....been Coast to coast several times...using rest areas, wide spots..truck stops..Walmart’s...never had any problems...we don’t carry any firearms ..if you run across someone who is desperate,it will do no good...
Old 11-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
Fortune Cookie

I recall a Fortune Cookie statement,

"It is better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all."

I think there is a lesson there somewhere. Interpret it in any way you wish.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Also a big dog bowl and 3 camping chairs. We leave our target practice stuff up when boondocking. Have a can of bear spray right by the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylorsan View Post
I second the wasp spray. You can 'paint' your target with it from 20'+ away. Press the button and spray away. Even with bad aim, you can hit the target before the can runs out. We always carry 2-3 cans with us. No questions ever asked about it at boarder crossings or camp grounds.

The Kimber Blaster mentioned earlier in the thread is very nice; and gives you 2 shots. Unfortunately, the Canadian Boarder Crossing crew did not like them, or the Bear spray that we had. Those led us to a long 'secondary inspection' that I'd rather not go thru again.

We also have two large dogs (90+ pounds) with a solid bark.

Our take is always common sense and the 'vibe'. Over the years, we left only two campgrounds; things just didn't seem right.

A clever tip I've heard from a solo female traveler is that she always leaves a muddy pair of size 14 boots outside her trailer along side of her shoes. She says it keeps away a lot of unwelcome visitors.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:54 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Do not turn on lights in the trailer. You will make a shadow of yourself and if you open the door, you will most likely have night blindness. Also a shot fired inside will make you temporary deaf.

Ha....if I am firing a firearm inside my trailer, temporary deafness, is the last thought in my mind!
Old 11-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
The thought of shots being fired from inside your trailer...I’m not sure how to balance one’s right to protect themselves from within their trailer with the rights of someone in a trailer parked nearby. No matter the brand, trailer walls are pretty thin - it seems a miss could project a bullet through one trailer and in to another, possibly injuring or killing an innocent bystander.

No intent to infringe on 2nd amendment rights in the US - nor would I want to infringe on a fellow camper’s right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...

Feeling like the wasp, bear, pepper spray options strike a somewhat decent balance - and agree if someone is just hellbent on destruction, most bets are off anyway. Last - totally agree it’s great to be prepared for worst case AND keep in context that the odds of worst case are exceptionally small and shouldn’t paralyze us from enjoying our rolling homes as intended.

“What’s so funny ‘bout peace, love, and understanding?”
Old 11-06-2019, 09:20 AM   #57
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Just Use Common Sense

There are lots of random things that can happen to you every day, but don't let that stop you from walking out the door in the morning. All one can really do is use common sense and avoid risky situations to begin with, e.g. keep a safe distance when driving, look both ways after the light turns green just in case, don't climb a mountain when a thunderstorm is in the forecast, don't hike alone in Grizzly country, don't go body surfing during a hurricane, wear high visibility gear when cycling on public roads, etc.

During our six years of full-timing, mostly on the move, we boondock frequently with the worst problem having been beggars in retail parking lots: three times. A good rule of thumb is if you find yourself wanting to park in a place where you feel the need for self protection, DON"T PARK THERE. Still, wherever you choose to boondock, there always exists the possibility that three ax murderers with AK-47's decide to attack you in the middle of the night while you're sleeping. Not much we can do about that scenario so it's not worth worrying about and definitely not a reason not to boondock.

It's all about using your common sense and living your life to the fullest so that in case your number does come up early, you'll have no regrets.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #58
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Trik, really, you need a $3500, 26 round shotgun for protection? Let me know where you camp with the Zombie Appocalypse creatures. I thought Brooklyn was tough but ...
Brooklyn used to be tough but now.....it's becoming a third world dump. Maybe I think that would be more effective because of my military experience as a Fire Control Tech. Although we had an AEGIS Combat System that fired SM2 missiles, I found the Phalanx CIWS much more interesting. The Phalanx put up a wall of projectiles in seconds. That's why I like this setup. I was always one for overkill. Any situation that is needing less than overkill is fine with me.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Well lots of good stuff here. I have never had a problem boondocking or in campground as a host.But I never go where I can not have a fire arm.
I have not seen 1 post that said DO NOT get to neighborly to fast when in new area.Some times bad folks want to act friendly so they can get physically close to you to do you harm.Remember physical distance is you friend
Try and avoid confrontations,BUT when all that fails.
Do not bring less than a lethal weapon. NO bear spray,fire extinguisher,knifes are good enough if your in a confrontation or even worse under attacked and in fear for your life.
Do not camp in fear but be ready.
If your in California camping or living there you are more likely to have problems with fires or earthquakes doing you harm.KEEP your gas tank full and have cash money in your pocket remember when the power is out no ATMs and no gas pumps.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
“There is no overkill. There is only ‘open fire’ and ‘time to reload’.

That said, you absolutely must be sure if your situation and target as well as what is behind your intended target.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Closed Thread