Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
A few years ago I picked up some 15/20 gallon food grade plastic barrels. They were ~$10 ea used. They came with caps, so all I needed to add was a spigot and hose. From the truck bed I was able to fill my fresh tank by gravity.
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
It would be a very good idea to sanitize any vessel you are using to fill your water tank every spring. We use the jerry cans, and sanitize with a couple of tablespoons of bleach, fill with water, let sit for a couple of hours, empty, and then fill with baking soda water for a little while to take bleach taste away.
We fill at campgrounds all the time, and have never been sick.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
West Hollywood , California
easy fresh water refilling

We use a couple of Reliance Aquatainer 7-gallon water containers, and a shaker siphon. Sometimes the shaker siphon is called a safety siphon. They're on Amazon for around $10. The way we do it is first we set one Aquatainer on it's side on a small folding table next to the water inlet, up high enough to get the whole set-up higher than the level of the water inlet. Then an Aquatainer full of water sits on top of that, and then we use the siphon to feed the water into the tank. It couldn't be easier. The safety siphon is really easy to use. You just stick it into the full container and then give it a few good shakes to start the water flow. One trick I learned from TBRich is to use a small folding luggage cart to wheel around the full water containers, which is much easier than carrying them by hand. They get heavy when they're full!
R2DTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Back in my boat days, I learned there was a code for containers. Water jugs were clear/white translucent. Gas red, diesel was yellow, kerosene was blue. That way you never mixed accidentally.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I use 15GAL food grade containers and a hose to siphon it from the back of my suv into my water tank inlet. You can generally find the containers for sale on Craigslist. I have three of them but only carry two since my freshwater tank is 30 gallons. I have gotten freshwater from rest areas, fuel stations, restaurants that I frequent, my favorite was from a friendly local that even offered up a spot for me to stay behind his barn over looking a lake. We don't drink water from the holding tank but if there is any question if the water is potable I'll pass everytime.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoMN View Post
...We had been lugging a big blue 5 gallon water jug and gently lifting its 30 lbs onto the top of the propane tanks. Used a potable water safe PVC hose to gravity drain it into fresh water tank....]

I think a gallon of water weighs about 8.34 lbs. Your big blue 5 gallon jug would weight nearly 42 lbs filled, not 30.

We have a 30 gallon HD plastic barrel with a top and a spigot at the bottom. I put it in the pickup bed, near (NOT ON) the tailgate of the pickup and use a water thief and hose to fill it in the campground, then drive carefully to the campsite. My pickup bed is higher than the AS water inlet, so I run a hose from the spigot down into the AS water inlet, and soon I have 30 gallons of fresh water, gravity flow. My AS fresh water tank holds 50 gallons, so if I have let it get seriously low, it may take two trips to the water supply to completely fill it. We have a blue boy for catching the grey water. Park Service water nozzles come in several sizes so have several, and clamps are a necessity.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Wal-Mart Ozark Trail 6 Gallin Water Jug SKU 60823 85804 - best to order Walmart.com and pick up at your local store. I think they are about $ 13.00

They don't always have them in stock at store as they are seasonal.

They have nice spout as previously mentioned - check that spout is included i.e not missing from container before you leave store - mine was missing.

Store much nicer and compact than many other jugs and bottles and are boa free.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Filling a 45 gallon fresh water tank with 9, 37 lb. (including container) 5 gallon water bottles just didn't work for me -I go traveling to relax, not work.

First tried a bladder in the back of TV, but by the time I got around to needing it the water had a plastic taste - wife wouldn't use it. And yes, food grade bottles do give water a plastic taste.

So I bought a new, flat Aluminum 45 gallon gas tank and put in the back of the bed of my TV and have fresh, good tasting water that's easy to transfer to trailer by gravity. It only takes about 4" of the bed floor and has a very low center of gravity so I don't even know its there. And it has baffles in it so I can load anything on top of it. And I can easily go get more water if I need it.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
So I bought a new, flat Aluminum 45 gallon gas tank and put in the back of the bed of my TV and have fresh, good tasting water that's easy to transfer to trailer by gravity. It only takes about 4" of the bed floor and has a very low center of gravity so I don't even know its there. And it has baffles in it so I can load anything on top of it. And I can easily go get more water if I need it.
I'm interested, care to provide a link or more info please?
i2oadRunnei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #30

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxGuy View Post
Has anyone used a Water Bandit? Just curious how well they work.

http://www.camco.net/product/water-bandit-10075/
Just used mine for the first time the other day and it worked very well. I would put a clamp on it to hold the the threaded portion to the rubber portion. If you don't have a clamp on it you will need to press the metal threaded portion tightly against the rubber to keep it from spraying everywhere.

Thanks,
Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Because our TV is used as a windsurfing van and we access equipment and also change in and out if wetsuits inside, we don't like extraneous "stuff" that we're climbing over.

Our solution is a combo of one 2.5 gallon hard sided plastic jug (easiest to use and one fits nicely into the back of our rear bedroom wardrobes in our International 28 when not in use) and six 2 gallon collapsible containers with a "custom" pour spout that consists of a piece of clear flexible tube that has the matching OD to the collapsible bottles' fill openings' ID. We then found a tapered spout that fit snugly in the end of the flexible tube and have screwed/jammed them together into one piece for convenience. Found both at Ace Hardware.

As we fill our fresh tank and empty our gray and black prior to entering dry camping area, we fill the hard tank and the six soft ones and carry them in ion the floor of the van. Together they hold 6 x 2= 12 gal plus the 2.5 from the hard van ='s 14.5. No individual container weighs more than about 20 lbs, so easy enough to handle.

When we site the Airstream, we remove the water vessels and place them under the AS right by the water fill. Once we use 1/2 of the fresh, we spend 1/2 hour emptying the 14.5 gallons into the fresh, or I may do a little bit every other morning, instead.

I believe each of our three tanks is 37-38 gallons, so this gives us about 52 gallons of fresh to spread over the other two tanks. We can comfortably go 10 days this way, even washing dishes inside and showering inside to remove salt water. We could go longer with outside washing, paper plates, and outside showering, and then would bring in more water in more containers, but decided that this is plenty for our lifestyle and we're boondocking "glam." We also have the option when leaving the area (groceries or going to a different site fir sailing that day) of refilling the containers, but typically that's about the right amount if extra water if we're dishwashing and showering inside before the grey tank fills.

When not using the tanks, the collapsible vessels mold nicely into the awkward, narrow section of the back of our one wardrobe with the hard sided can on top of them and/or just in front. This still leaves plenty of clothes storage in front of the deflated vessels. We keep our collapsible clothes hamper and workout roller and resistance bands there, too.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Whatever you put in the freshwater tank ultimately ends up in the grey or black, so what do you do when those fill up? If you have to go somewhere to dump, you can likely refill your freshwater tank at the same time. Start with ways to conserve. I filled my 20 gal fresh tank when I left home 14 days ago. I still have 10 gallons. I buy bottled water for drinking, I dirty no more than one pan or pot and one plate (or use paper and throw it away), and really use on-board water for flushing. Showers? Sponge baths work unless you're really stinky. Of course, you could set up a free standing outdoor shower as well. I have used restrooms/showers in state parks the past two weeks. BTW, we purchased one of those 40 gal water bladders, have never used it, would be too onerous when full!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Instead of filling a sink to do dishes use a spritz bottle with a bit of soap in the water. Spray on and wipe off with paper towel. 2 cups of water can clean all of your dishes.
Reducing waste is preferable to increasing capacity.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:41 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
Scepter military water cans. Used with the water bandit and a short length of white rv water hose to fill the water tank. They are pricey, but very heavy duty and the only ones we found would survive hunting camps year after year.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...8-YaAk6H8P8HAQ
Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We prefer the hard sided water "jugs" after the seams failed on several collapsibles. We especially like the Rotapax because of the handles and rectangular shapes which allow for easier storage ... also they have dedicated storage mounts. I had great luck with them not giving up while bouncing around in a truck full of LE gear driven over a variety of speeds and road surfaces.
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #36
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We use hard sided 6 gal jugs. I sit them in the bed of the truck. Fill them with the hose. Then tilt them into the fresh water tank to empty. We are getting better at using less and less water. One week is easy. No need to add or empty. Longer than that, I don't know.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:42 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
This is a expensive product but I love the Lifesaver water filter products. This is there 5 gallon jerrycan. If you do any reading Lifesaver is a top notch product it filters out every known virus with Polio being the smallest known one and it does that. Good for 20,000 liters.

Whats cool is has a hose with sprayer so you can do outdoor washing. Ive filled this thing up with pond water, river water, lake water and it comes out cleaner then any water you can buy.

They also sell a hand held bottle version that does 4000 litters.

https://www.amazon.com/LIFESAVER-Exp...saver+jerrycan
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwiz View Post
Ive filled this thing up with pond water, river water, lake water and it comes out cleaner then any water you can buy.
Doesn't that mean that all the stuff taken out is now stuck in the filter?

The problem with any filter is that they need replacing much more often than most people are willing to do, and they're expensive.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:05 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
water refilling when dry camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Doesn't that mean that all the stuff taken out is now stuck in the filter?

The problem with any filter is that they need replacing much more often than most people are willing to do, and they're expensive.

Yes you shake it out. Well that is a issue with any filter your right but that filters out 20,000 liters of water before it requires replacement. I bought it because I'm a prepper and you can go at most 3-4 days without water.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
R U serious?? $245 for 5 gal water container?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwiz View Post
Yes you shake it out. Well that is a issue with any filter your right but that filters out 20,000 liters of water before it requires replacement. I bought it because I'm a prepper and you can go at most 3-4 days without water.
Wow! $245 for a 5 gal. water container and the filters run $41.00 for a 4 pack? This is some serious "filtration" for a water container! I guess for some folks, you can not be too safe and money is no object? Can you imagine getting 4 of these puppies and use to fill your AS tank? That's almost a down payment on an AS! Think how much bottled water that would buy at Costco!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote