Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
My very wise eighth grade teacher and mentor taught me, The intelligent won't insult you and the ignorant can't."

photography
Old 07-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #102
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
I like Walmart. It's a circus!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
When I spoke of the Walmart baby, I was referring to the movie in which a young lady finds herself homeless and camps out inside the store.It was a comedy totally unrelated to the meth junkie story. From what I've heard,huge Walmart barges empty their supplies here in the U.S. and go back to China with an empty ship.Camping on board that barge would be the proverbial SLOW BOAT TO CHINA! If I were to embark on said journey,once arriving at the wall I would proceed to bang the gong slowly in hopes of return passage.Carry on. Richie Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	work 233.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	106376  
Old 07-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #104
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Ohhh I remember that movie now, it was funny.

Where the Heart Is (2000) - Plot Summary

photography
Old 07-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I too, have used W.M. overnite. From central California, it is a long drive to get out of state, so overnite to sleep is a good option. A small fee, used as credit, is a good idea. Also, in Cali, some local govt(city) have passed no overnite in W.M. and signs are posted, so ALWAYS check with management. If posted no overnite, they will enforce it. Central coast 5 cities, Arroyo Grande it is one. Placerville is another one.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #106
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
My personal choice of refuge on the road is a rest stop. That is what they are intended for and I think very well equipped for it, and many suprisingly special. But there does come a time and not always planned that we need to just pull on over. Wal-Marts are always a welcome oasis to me for refueling on gasoline, supplies and rest. I leave you to repair as befits your granduer but I want to tell others they need not be hesitant to stop there if the local ordinances allow. Please stop before you fall asleep at the wheel. Spend up at Wal-Mart and I think that is the responsible thing to do in a pinch, or any other travel center along the highway. Not all travelers preschedule their stops and there is a need and provision made by many an establishment.

photography
Old 07-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #107
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Minnesota recently passed a law outlawing stops at rest stops longer than 6 hours except for commercial drivers.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #108
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Six hours is golden to someone needing a wink of sleep. It is regrettable that some abuse the privilege to make this mandate necessary but I wonder myself why anyone would want to spend more time at a rest stop, well except for the reason of increasing homelessness. "We don't know where you can go but you can't stay here... " Has anyone been in this situation and how have you prevailed against that?

Very much off topic but perhaps a common occurrance, I stopped at Sun City and the guard had no hesitation to visit my newly parked Airstream and inform me about infractions he could circumvent. As I told him I was not interested... And you thought seniors were benign... And yes he tried to steal a kiss!!!

photography
Old 03-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
New signs.

Hi, yesterday while driving through the Wal-Mart parking lot, I saw a guy putting up some signs. [I couldn't read them] Today we noticed some signs stating that Subway was going to open up somewhere in the Town Center and then we noticed some other signs all around the parking lot.................

I don't know why and didn't ask, but there has been more homeless RVs and quite a massive truck [big rig] congregation for the past six months. We thought all of the trucks had to do with the remodeling of Walmart, but that's been over for a few months now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3537 (Large).JPG
Views:	288
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	124907  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 03-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Only in America. A rest stop with limited time to rest. RV parks angry because people spend the night at a Walmart. When we stay at a Walmart I usually go in the store and by things we need. Wake up in the morning and get coffee so we can leave. Maybe if the RV parks would lower their prices people would stay at their parks. I called a private RV park and they wanted $41.00 dollars for me to stay there from 11:00 P.M. until 6:00 A.M. I went to the Walmart five minutes away and parked with the truckers. I guess it is OK for truckers but not RV's. Doesn't make any sense.

Brian
Old 03-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, yesterday while driving through the Wal-Mart parking lot, I saw a guy putting up some signs. [I couldn't read them] Today we noticed some signs stating that Subway was going to open up somewhere in the Town Center and then we noticed some other signs all around the parking lot.................

I don't know why and didn't ask, but there has been more homeless RVs and quite a massive truck [big rig] congregation for the past six months. We thought all of the trucks had to do with the remodeling of Walmart, but that's been over for a few months now.
We saw the same signs at a Walmart in North Carolina. I went in and asked the manager and she said it was fine to stay the night, the signs are to allow them to get rid of trouble makers. We stayed the night with no problem.
1950 Spartan
Old 03-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #112
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
It seems like a decent compromise would be for them to implement some sort "one night only —*in after sunset, out before 10am" rule (or something similar).
Old 03-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Robert
We have the same signs here. They dont want the big trucks on thier lot. Delieverys only. There is a Bob Evans and a Subway and the one Drive In Resturant that they deliver the meal on skates. I also ask and its a CITY Ordinance NO BIG TRUCK PARKING .I did ask about RV's and they said it was ok as long as people ask.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #114
1 Rivet Member

Williamsburg , Virginia
Wow - this is the first I've heard of this. I guess I'd always figured we could use Wal-Mart in case of "emergency"!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Sounds like a tough argument actually... If campgrounds closed up and campers were forced to stay at Wally World I could then see them turning around and charging for the right to stay... that's their business practice in everything else they do so why not camping? Tough one.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #116
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Sounds like a tough argument actually... If campgrounds closed up and campers were forced to stay at Wally World I could then see them turning around and charging for the right to stay... that's their business practice in everything else they do so why not camping? Tough one.
Nothing tough about this story at all. If I’m traveling through a town on a longer trip and just need a place to rest/sleep for 8 to 10 hours, if the local campgrounds can’t accomodate me for a reduced fee, then they better not try and keep me from staying at a Walmart or local truckstop.

Walmart is accomodating a group of folks who by their nature, shop alot at Walmart. Campgrounds should follow suite - good business, good karma. By trying to force me to use their place of business by trying to shut down alternative resources for RV’ers, that crosses the line.

If they feel they’re “loosing” business to Walmart, then instead of strong-arming the customer and whinning about it, why not try to accomodate campers and adjust their business model. Maybe their reluctance to change and adapt to changing conditions is the reason for the lack of business and loss of revenues?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Old 09-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #117
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Ahh yes, unfettered capitalism. We can all hope that one day Wal-Mart can just buy up all the campgrounds and public parks and pave them over too. God forbid there should be any push to keep anyone away from Wal-mart so they can get at all of their quality Chinese merchandise after spending the night under their beautiful mercury halide lights.
You're actually using terms like "Strong Arming" for local campgrounds and those who support them? HA, Wal-Mart strong arms local governments, local shops and their own workforce, it's just disgraceful. I've been through many small southern towns with decaying down towns and boarded up businesses because of your friends at Wal-Mart. And FYI, "Wal-Mart" and "Good Karma" don't belong in the same paragraph.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #118
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
I remember when there were just "local" shops. They closed at 5 PM except some were open Wednesday night until 9 PM. They closed at 5 PM on Saturday and were closed Sunday. Walmart changed the game...banks used to close at 3 PM (Bankers Hours), Doctors were closed every Thursday, and hardware stores charged $30 for a claw hammer. They charged $30 because the cost to produce it in America was ridiculously high, so the jobs moved overseas...not Walmart's fault. Should they sell only American products and go bankrupt?

I know, I know, Don't argue with an idiot, he'll pull you down to his level and beat you with experience...
Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
wake-up people; it isn't Wally, George or the Big O, it is you causing alll the problems. As Navy said, why pay $30 for a hammer when you can get from the same thing from Eastern markets fro $15. Same goes for oil, gas, cars etc.Things are produced for less money there thean we can and it all goes back to the american greed. We can't afford the items we produce and that is mostly because of wages. We talk about "sweat shops and the items produced, but look who is purchasing them, we are! The same for cars, if it wasn't for the high import taxes the big 3 still doesn't compete. Also look at the quality of the cars.
Next is health care; who is causing the prices to rise? About half of us are paying for the other half and that proportion is changing. I just had a Dr visit that was $125
medicare allowed $68 and paid 61 cents; who do think is paying that bill?
So don't blame Wally, George or Obama for our problems, look in a mirror.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #120
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We CHOOSE not too use Walmart, that's a option we all have.

We also choose not to share the reasons...

Bob