Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2022, 07:19 AM   #41
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueVelvet View Post
Hi Bob,
Well, I mean, obviously another huge part of my needing/wanting to do a portable solar generator is also the cost of install.
I talked with my dealer and discussed why you can’t just drop two lithium batteries in, slap solar panels on top and keep driving. He said there’s a whole system that needs to be changed to do the lithium/solar install. I am not about to take on what would go into what you described as an easy install and definitely not what my dealer explained.
I’m a pretty handy gal I’d say but I’ve watched a lot of lithium solar installs and idk, I’m ok with saying it’s above my skill set. I want it to be done right and I don’t know that I want it in my trailer permanently.
Now I could be totally wrong on the lithium install- am I?
Hi

Solar is a different beast than just putting in some batteries. With the "solar generator" you don't get solar. ( = it does not come with any panels ....). If you just look at the part you *do* get, then it's pretty much what I listed.

How much *should* this sort of thing cost to install? How much of the quoted price is markup on parts? How much better a job does the dealer do than you would? None of that is easy to answer.

Doing the install as I described without adding an inverter / bigger inverter would not require much re-wiring. If you go for 4 batteries a cable would need to be run to them. If they are "up front" in the trailer, that's not a big deal. Indeed this is very much a "that depends" sort of thing.

In the simple case ( two batteries into the battery box) this is a "couple of weekends" sort of project. The first one would be tearing into things to work out what's what. Things like missing tools, mounting locations / fit, and wire lengths would be figured out. This and that would be borrowed or bought. The completion would be a weekend later on once everything was in place.

The "full detail" obviously will be specific to your trailer, here's what it would have been on mine if I stopped at 2 batteries:

1) Pull the old batteries ... wow are they heavy.

2) Chop off the battery post mounts and crimp terminals on the ends of two cables.

3) Drop in the new batteries, see that the other two terminals need to be bigger, replace them. Screw down all the terminals with the hardware that came with the batteries.

4) Pull the (broken) converter and toss it in the dumpster. Mount a new fixed voltage version in the same space. Same wires used for all of that.

Poof !!! It's all done. You now have two lithiums where you had two lead acid's before.

For 4 batteries the process is the same except for mounting them somewhere and running a pair of cables to them.

Again, that's the "no new inverter" case. It's also the "don't add solar" case.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:42 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
So let me get this straight:
A box with a lead acid battery inside and an inverter is now called a generator?
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:55 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
So let me get this straight:
A box with a lead acid battery inside and an inverter is now called a generator?
Yeah...but you gotta add a couple of various outlets and some wire adapters...maybe a whiz bang digital readout.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:21 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueVelvet View Post
Hi guys!
So I'm still waiting to take delivery of my 2023 25FC and so since I have nothing to do until then but dream and plan... lol I have a question I can't find an answer to. Hoping ya'll can help?
I will mostly be boondocking and do NOT want to use a gas or propane generator. I just don't. (I will carry one for emergencies)
I have not had solar added yet for a lot of reasons-the main one would be having to park in the sun just to get solar. Anyway, my plan was, instead of having TONS of lithium batteries and solar and a 3000 inverter installed-was to plug into a portable power generator with lots of solar panels. Like a hella ton Bluetti's (Just like you would plug into shore power)
Anyway the question is- By doing that, does my energy get converted TWICE? (once by the solar power generator's inverter and once again by the Airstream's 1000 inverter when it comes through the airstream?
Thanks so much in advance!
Yes, this is absolutely viable. And maybe more cost effective than many here appreciate. For the cost of Battleborns (which are $$$), you get the bonus of more sophisticated BMS, charge controllers, inverter, display, in a tiny package. The capacity is added on top of what's built into the trailer, rather than replacing installed capacity there. With much more flexibility of use to boot. Not to mention potential labor charges to upgrade a trailer.

Checkout this thread where I have a "solar generator" battery integrated in my trailer. Integral charging with roof-top solar. Integrated 120V with an auto transfer switch.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...um-196422.html

To answer your question, yes you would be loosing efficiency by converting twice. But it's still a reasonable strategy for bulk fast charging. That said, many portable solar panels come with a plethora of adapters. You can set them up to charge a standalone Bluetti. Or add a small charge controller to charge your AS 12V batteries directly via the Zamp port and not suffer any conversion losses.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote