Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #61
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Cool, thanks Rodney. Can't wait to get this rig out on the beach! In fact, one of the pictures earlier on this thread is how I got my wife to agree to buy an Airstream. She loves the idea of boondocking directly on the beach.

-Marcus
I would spend at least a night in the campground. Drive out on the sand, find out about the tides and wind conditions. Remember: wet sand good, dry sand bad.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:07 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
I would spend at least a night in the campground. Drive out on the sand, find out about the tides and wind conditions. Remember: wet sand good, dry sand bad.
We'll be getting there before noon, and we've only got two nights. Maybe I can unhitch somewhere and drive out to test the sand conditions? I'd rather not blow one of our two nights in the campground if I can help it.

I don't imagine we'll go too far anyway, this being our first beach camping experience and having a 2.5-year-old and a 0.5-year-old.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:43 AM   #63
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
We'll be getting there before noon, and we've only got two nights. Maybe I can unhitch somewhere and drive out to test the sand conditions? I'd rather not blow one of our two nights in the campground if I can help it.

I don't imagine we'll go too far anyway, this being our first beach camping experience and having a 2.5-year-old and a 0.5-year-old.
The visitor center has a huge lot, from there South Beach is less than a mile. My experience has been that about once every week and a half or so tides and wind combine to bring the water up to high to stay on the sand. Pay attention to what everyone else is doing, if the RVs are coming off the sand, that might be good notice for you. The idea time to arrive is right after the cycle of high tides has peaked and the sand is wet and packed as there is less chance of getting stuck. If the sand is really dry, be careful going out on the sand. Also, make sure to get boards to put under your tires and hitch. You WILL settle into the sand otherwise, and if water gets under your tires, you can drop down to your axles. I would think about having a dish pan with water to wash feet as you come in from the beach. Beach camping is great, but you will never get rid of all the sand. Ever.

I'm not trying to scare you off the sand, I camp on it a lot and love it.But you DO need to understand the potential to get stuck in the sand or caught by the tides.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks Rodney, I appreciate the advice. I think you mentioned the pan outside the door before, and I was definitely planning on that, it's such a great idea. I'll also take plenty of boards. should I put them under the TV tires too, or just the trailer?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:21 AM   #65
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
I'll also take plenty of boards. should I put them under the TV tires too, or just the trailer?
I just do the trailer. You get a lot of wind and rocking out on the sand and the sand isnt the most stable of surfaces. I also suggest parking parallel to the beach up as close to the berm as you can get with the front of the trailer pointed back toward the way in. This will put you far up from the water and you will be pointed the right direction if you do need to bug out. Incidentally, this will put your camper door facing the water.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
I just do the trailer. You get a lot of wind and rocking out on the sand and the sand isnt the most stable of surfaces. I also suggest parking parallel to the beach up as close to the berm as you can get with the front of the trailer pointed back toward the way in. This will put you far up from the water and you will be pointed the right direction if you do need to bug out. Incidentally, this will put your camper door facing the water.

Right, sounds good. I saw your pictures earlier up the thread, it looks fantastic. A couple of years ago, it was pictures like that, of camping directly on the beach, that helped me sell my wife on the idea of getting an Airstream. So, thanks!

-Marcus
Old 04-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #67
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The "road" conditions change quickly, drastically (from the standpoint of ease). I've made 4WD trips well down the Island, and, on return, one would think it an entirely new road. 45-minutes that can change your life . . . .
Keep abreast of NOAA indicators. Am back in CC this week to work on house (I come & go), I never expect conditions on the Seashore to in any way mimic CC except for temperatures. (Thus, the pleasure of living here).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #68
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
The "road" conditions change quickly, drastically (from the standpoint of ease). I've made 4WD trips well down the Island, and, on return, one would think it an entirely new road. 45-minutes that can change your life . . . .
Keep abreast of NOAA indicators. Am back in CC this week to work on house (I come & go), I never expect conditions on the Seashore to in any way mimic CC except for temperatures. (Thus, the pleasure of living here).
Words of wisdom.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Just got back from our weekend trip to PINS, and man we had a fantastic time. Didn't want to leave!

Thanks so much to Gen Disarray aka Boondocker, and others, for the tips and tricks.

Here are a few pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2579.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	101736   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2617.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	101737  

Name:	IMG_2764.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	101738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2623.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	101739  

Old 05-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
We had to good fortune to check out the PINS a few months ago and scout the conditions, as well as wheel down the beach about 25 miles or so. It is a beautiful area indeed. I did take it upon myself to load the back of my truck with washed up 'debris' at the 25 mile mark and other points from our return.

We will be down at PINS for a single night this coming Friday but will move to a RV park up in Port A for the remainder of the weekend to meet up with some family that has a condo up there. We wanted to get down there before big globs a tar started to show up from the big spill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7715.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	102231   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7690.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	102232  

Name:	IMG_7710 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	102233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7723.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	102234  

Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Just visited PINS again over Memorial Day weekend, that makes our 3rd trip down and to think, it was photos on this very thread that three years ago helped spur my wife and me to buy an Airstream in the first place.

Didn't see any tar at all, I don't know if there ever was any but there's no evidence now.

Here are a few pictures from this most recent trip: