Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
UFO's, Earthquakes and Other Suspicious Events

Friends of ours recommended we watch Skin Walker Ranch about a place in Utah with UFO's, Odd Creatures and Indian Lore... Paranormal spooky stuff. This is for amateurs that never leave home to watch. Not our kind of stuff.

Many who avoid Off the Grid Boondocking fall into this category. Spooky Stuff occurs in places where 'people do not gather' for safety and comfort. You will never hear of a Glamping Rally of Airstreams in a safe and comfort zone for... believers. Nothing happens that gets your blood pressure up and forces you do step outside in your underwear wondering... WHAT????

- We HEARD an Earthquake coming AND going camped south of Pioche, Nevada. It sounded like a train coming from the north, getting louder as it approached, our trailer shook... and the sound disappeared to the south. A What the Hell moment. It was reported that day... an earthquake was experienced. No sh*t. I say.

- We were camped last Summer west of the Great Basin National Park... during the day sitting in our lawn chairs with the two Blue Heelers. I am always looking around in the distance for rock outcrops or anything out of place.

Nothing. But... there was a ranch in the distance. We were on a high point, so could see 20 miles or so. As I was looking north... a bright yellowish sparkling object was coming straight down from the blue sky. Bright with sparks. It dropped down between us and the Ranch. Nancy was reading a book. By the time I said.... what the.... it was over. She said she heard some odd sounds, but gave it no thought. Since my ears ring all of the time, thank you US Army... I did not hear it.

Obviously a meteorite or space junk. I plan to take my metal detector and look around.

- In Missouri, my brother was conducting an archaeological dig outside of Fort Osage, south of the Missouri River and east of Independence. I was driving out and my 'steering began to be erratic'. Then quit. It felt like something in my steering had come loose. A minute or so afterwards... on the radio... An Earthquake. The song playing... was... Hey Jude. That dates it for me. No analogy there.

- In the Canal Zone, this would be 1958 or so, in the middle of the night the shaking began. Earthquake. The exciting part is the sound of a neighbor's china cabinet going over and glass crashing to the floor. I was a ripe 8/9 years old. The North and South Americas are moving and Panama is, as well.

In Nevada and also likely most of the West Coast... your hot water tank is attached to the wall securely. It is not for... looks. Guess for what?

What have you experienced that caught you off guard?

No, no...no. Mother in Laws are exempt.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Friends of ours recommended we watch Skin Walker Ranch about a place in Utah with UFO's, Odd Creatures and Indian Lore... Paranormal spooky stuff. This is for amateurs that never leave home to watch. Not our kind of stuff.
I resemble that remark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
- We HEARD an Earthquake coming AND going camped south of Pioche, Nevada. It sounded like a train coming from the north, getting louder as it approached, our trailer shook... and the sound disappeared to the south. A What the Hell moment. It was reported that day... an earthquake was experienced. No sh*t. I say.
Had the same emotional experience camping at Organ Pipe NM. WTF. Then it happened again, and again. Shook the Airstream. Sonic booms from Air Force fighters playing tag. Base is nearby.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Pioche... Area 51... Hmmmm?

Lumatic may have the answer for our Pioche experience of the Third or Fourth Kind.

We were north and east of Area 51 and also north of Nellis Air Force Base 150 or so miles.

Do you think... they hate Airstreams? This was in the middle of the night and no doubt thought we could be a target?

I will pinch Nancy to make sure we are actually among the living.

Ohhhhh Ewwwww... need to try that one again.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We were in Palm Springs several months ago and about 4:00 AM in the morning we heard an awful explosion that shook the Airstream and echoed into the nearby canyons. We feared the worst as route 10 was nearby and we felt this could be the only answer. There were also two commercial airports nearby.

It was several days later we found out what it was. A commercial boiler for a very large movie complex malfunctioned and blew its top. It was 9 miles away! No moviegoers were there at the time.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Live in Southern California.

Ground shaking and other violent phenomena are routine. The smarter folks also prepare for the possible aftermath of a good sized ground shaker. Not all of the horde are that aware, sadly.

Always have 3-4 months of hard supplies available and bug-out kits at hand. I’m not paranoid, just prepared. Raised three Eagle Scouts as a Boy Scout leader. They are every bit as prepared.

By prepared, we’re talking plenty of non-perishable food, water, Ham radio communications, full gas tanks and other self defense tools always at hand.

The only thing we needed to purchase for this emergency was a case of toilet paper about a month ago. Strictly routine.

And don’t forget a stock of food for your pets.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:46 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
We were south of Wendover, Nevada on the edge of the Great Salt Flats desert on a very nice day when all of a sudden there was an incredibly boom! Shook the hell out of everything and scared the bejesus out of me! It was a couple of F-16's on a practice run out of Hill Air Force base in Odgen, Utah. They were flying so low we did not see or hear them coming until they were right on top of us.

That was quite the scare.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, except for 2 years in the Army, and 6 years in Oregon, I spent my entire life in Southern California. Long Beach / Lakewood. My parent's house was in line with a runway for the Long Beach Airport. Early on, this runway was used by fighter jets. Later it was used for small private planes. Douglas Aircraft had a factory connected to the Long Beach Airport. We were used to having airplanes flying low right over our house. Goodyear blimps too. Near the end of living in that area, the longest runway at the Long Beach Airport [built for the first jet airliners DC-8] was being redone. So at this time Jet airliners were now flying directly over my Dad's house and landing on the little runway that was for small private planes. Due to the shortness of this runway and the huge passenger jets landing there, they flew very low to take full advantage of the short runway. We loved it.

After over 60 years of living in this area, we were used to feeling Earthquakes randomly. Moving a few miles away to Lakewood, we had the Lakewood Sherriff's Helicopter fly over our house daily and nightly. Just something you get used to. It got more exciting when the helicopter's bright search light lit up my yards.

One day I was on the roof of my trailer changing the plunger switch on my Fantastic Fan Vent. I just got down from the trailer's roof, took my ladder down because it was in my neighbor's yard, and put my tools away in my garage. On my way out from the garage to go buy a new plunger switch, I heard a BANG and my trailer was swaying side to side violently. My first thought was that someone in a truck came up my driveway and ran into my trailer. But as I walked to the front to get a better look, there was nothing there. Then several neighbors started to come out of their houses to see what happened. We just had a 5.0 Earthquake and in less than five minutes ago, I was on the roof of my trailer. That could have been bad.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:51 AM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
THANK YOU for those first hand "Moving Experiences". Being from, and still living, on the right side of the country we rarely have the opportunity to feel them. Not that many years ago the Baltimore / Wash DC corridor did have an EQ that moved them but, alas, I happened to be in Kansas at the time and didn't feel a thing. I live in NJ anyway and I don't think it was felt up there either. After studying some geology in college I've been waiting for the time I could " feel the earth move under my feet ". Hasn't happened yet. Just last Sept. I traveled to Hawaii in hopes of having a chance to see flowing lava pour into the blue Pacific. I was a year too late. Oh well, I guess I'll keep trying.

So, it's still on my bucket list.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
.i grew up in So Cal. Earthquakes, at least those below 5.5 were routine, if not fun. In school, you got to leave class for at least an hour, while the adults tried to figure out what to do. Above 5.5, it’s a different story. Stuff breaks, like gas lines. As a adult, I don’t find earthquakes quite so much fun. But they still don’t scare me as much as tornadoes. Severe weather in the South in the springtime is serious sh#t.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

Yup. I used to live in the South. The locals were in a panic about earthquakes when we mentioned we were moving back to California.

My response was that I could build a house that withstands an earthquake, but one that can survive a tornado hit does not exist.

Back there, we had a heavily built underground bunker built into the back of the basement, ten feet underground, designed to handle and survive the total destruction of the house by a tornado. We spent a lot of tornado alerts in the bunker, hunkered down listening to my fellow hams track funnel clouds.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #11
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
I've experienced an earthquale in Toronto, Ontario Canada while visiting a friend on the 27 floor of an Apt Building - was a "exciting?" experience.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We lived in Huntsville Al in the ‘60’s, just across from Redstone Arsenal. They would test fire the big launch rocket engines and anything hanging on the walls would move. Low frequency roars where really impressive for a bunch of kids!
We were real renegades, when ever a ball would go over the fence, we ignored the Do Not Trespass signs and would go get it with the group watching out for the never-seen Jeep sporting a machine gun trying to mow us down.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Last month on a clear dark morning I stepped outside around 5:00 AM Central time ad saw a train of stars (satellites?) following in a long straight line moving FAST from SW to NE over my house. Probably a group of 18 or more evenly spaced from horizon to horizon. Took less than a minute for the group to disappear. Clearly looked like stars following each other. Then a second wave of 10 or so on the exact same path followed. No sounds from above. Not meteorites because they just kept going until they were out of sight.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
Last month on a clear dark morning I stepped outside around 5:00 AM Central time ad saw a train of stars (satellites?) following in a long straight line moving FAST from SW to NE over my house. Probably a group of 18 or more evenly spaced from horizon to horizon. Took less than a minute for the group to disappear. Clearly looked like stars following each other. Then a second wave of 10 or so on the exact same path followed. No sounds from above. Not meteorites because they just kept going until they were out of sight.
Starlink satellites from Elon Musk. Your next RV internet solution!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Macomb , Illinois
I live in the mid-west so tornadoes happen every year. Only experienced a EQ once. That shook Hannibal and started tales of when the Mississippi ran backward.
I have enjoyed all of your posts. Its all in what you think of as "normal."
DntheRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
We HEARD an Earthquake coming AND going camped south of Pioche, Nevada.

A guy could camp for many years and not have a story as good as that one.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #17

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Reynolds , Georgia
I've had quite a few such experiences during my 32 years of service (Marines and CIA). During a TDY to Dushanbe (Tajikistan) we lived in a small compound of concrete apartment buildings. One day several of us sat on an uncomfortable Soviet-era sofa watching a movie when the building began to shake. The earthquake induced the sofa to literally dance across the floor!

Also experienced a low fly by while on R&R. Driving down Georgia state hwy 96 I heard a low pitched whine growing louder. Seconds later an F-4 boomed past the roof of my car. Pilot must've been about 60 feet off the ground!

Hope you're all maintaining your sanity during this pandemic. God bless and keep.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
California, Alaska... and then Nevada Shakers

When in Nevada... do you feel... LUCKY?

The Great Nevada Shake Out: Western Nevada Earthquake Hazards

(1,000 people are registered, 821 are from western Nevada for the 2020 Shake Out in 191 days, but no month or day was found. States other than Nevada are also listed for those who are bored and need to be shaken back to life.)

www.shakeout.org

The Western Nevada area has the highest earthquake hazard in the state. The area has the largest earthquake faults, some of the highest levels of recorded earthquake activity, and the highest slip-rates and geodetically measured deformation in the state, all indicating the high earthquake hazard. Major earthquakes occurred in Western Nevada in 1857, 1860, 1869 (two events), 1887, 1914 (two events), 1948, and 1966. The most recent damaging earthquakes occurred in 1994 (south of Gardnerville) and in 2008 (western Reno).

Earthquakes in Western Nevada are caused by the extension that is pulling Nevada apart and wrenching created as the Sierra Nevada is pulled to the north because it is caught up in the Pacific-North America plate motion. The extension creates normal faults such as the Genoa fault, which bounds Carson Valley, the Mt. Rose fault, which bounds Reno, and the basin-bounding faults in the Tahoe basin, including the West Tahoe—Dollar Point fault. When an earthquake occurs on a normal fault, the ground is offset vertically, with one side dropping down and the other side going up. The wrenching creates strike-slip faults that have horizontal movement, such as the over 50-mile-long Warm Springs Valley fault system, north of Reno.

The chance of having a damaging, magnitude 6 earthquake within 30 miles of any location in the Reno-Carson City-Tahoe urban corridor over the next 50 years ranges between 60% and 75%. This high likelihood of an event is not surprising because earthquake damage in the urban corridor has occurred over 10 times since the 1850s. People in the Western Nevada area need to be prepared for earthquakes.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Post #18...."Genoa fault, which bounds Carson Valley, the Mt. Rose fault, which bounds Reno"...

We have friends who just moved into their New Home near... Mt. Rose / Carson Valley. Do you think it appropriate that I pass on the Great Nevada Shake Out, or not?

This was news to me. Maybe best to defer until we visit in our trailer and use FOUR Chocks just in case.... and leave attached to the tow vehicle.

(I did a cut and paste after the post. They like our discussions about OTHER People having weird things happening to them. Now it is their turn.)
Old 04-07-2020, 09:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California

Living in Nevada and California for most of my life I have been through many earthquakes including the Loma Prieta in 1989 which took out the Bay Bridge and ended the World Series. Let me tell you, That was an eye opener.

The only one I feared for my safety was when I was working for Pacific Telephone in Sunnyvale, CA. It was the late 70's. I had a 28' ladder on the side of a building running in a new drop. When I heard/felt a load rumbling then my ladder started to dance around as the building was moving and vibrating. Car alarms started going off all around the place. I couldn't get off that darn ladder fast enough.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote