Old 06-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #21
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I've done several one night'ers. I level myself using the anderson levelers for Left to Right unless my head is leaning backward, I typically leave it to within reason.

At the end of the day, it is your comfort and how much work you want to do for a one night'er.

WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Also we find it's best to fuel up in the evening when arriving. This way you are ready to roll in the morning. Gas stations seem to be really busy in the mornings.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:00 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
We stay connected except for the umbilical, though we usually stick a block of wood under the jack and raise it just enough to take off some of the pressure on the WD.
That is exactly what I do as well, not only does that take pressure off the WD, it makes the trailer a little more stable when moving around inside. Just don't forget the jack in the morning before driving off!
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
What Bill M said. After our ten years and 125K miles in a 25í and Tundra.
rjack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #25

1981 31' Excella II
Wake Forest , NC
Stay connected, do not put stabilizers down, disconnect umbilical cord.
Leave place cleaner than you found it and thank manager for allowing you to spend the night
Have stayed in Walmart, Cracker Barrelís, and Cabelaís all over the US with no problems.
RKalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
To unhitch or not to unhitch

Always a good idea to check with a manager or the customer service area.

One Walmart we stopped at for supplies and a possible overnight was nice and explained while they had no issue with us overnighting, the local police did come into their lot and ticket overnighters. We thanked them, loaded up our supplies, and moved on to another. They were down the road a only few miles and had a designated area of their parking lot with a night patrol, trash cans, and video surveillance to make it even safer and convenient. We bought supplies for breakfast that evening, camped clean and moved on promptly.

We also are darn sure to clean up very thoroughly after walking our dogs wherever we stop for dog breaks. We keep Ďpoop bagsí in a container on our leashes to be ready to act.

Some Cracker Barrel stores share a parking lot with other stores. In that case, they may not be able allow overnights. Company policy is to allow wherever possible.

The quick check is look for a directional sign to RV parking. If they have RV spaces itís usually ok, but always good to check in with the store. We tend to travel from one Cracker Barrel store to the next when we are on the road. Canít beat their breakfasts! They are also dog friendly and love Airstreams!

We also try to stay well clear of other customer parking spaces and put out a couple cones to improve visibility on our corners.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Aurora , Colorado
Iím in the Ďleave it hooked upí category for overnights. Since Iím probably hooked to shore power as well, I donít bother with the umbilical either. I put chocks on the driverís front wheel of the truck. I like the idea of a leveler block on the driverís seat. My co-pilot(feline) wouldnít notice or say anything if they were in her seat.
SPS Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
Another yes

We stay hooked up too. If the AS front needs to go down, another option to disconnecting is to drive the front wheels of the TV onto blocks. Quick and easy fix.
Cheryle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Three Weeks and Six States... Hitched

Some excellent posts!

We Off the Grid Boondock and most of the time remain hitched. We camp AT the area we want to explore. Finished 4373 miles of OTG Boondocking and some truck/store parking lots when buying supplies and spend the evening.

Occasionally we will unhitch if we expand our interest in an area and use the tow vehicle to explore the area and possibly discover other OTG Campsites that we can take the trailer.

Often the staying hitched at a site chosen is NEVER LEVEL when in the Forest, Deserts or Mountains. Parking lot overnight camping will be an example that they are never level... flat yes... never level. They are graded to drain water. Our RV Garage IS FLAT... but grades downward to drain water out of the garage by code. The power jack corrects the one inch or so to be just... perfect.

An inch or two, front to back, have the BED upgrade.

An inch or four... leveling blocks from left to right. An inch... it will make little difference... although the Bathroom and/or Shower door may open/close when not latched.

Chock your trailer tires, as well if unhitched. Chock your trailer tires when the grade is a few inches or more and your tow vehicle parking brakes in either situation.

Some campsites, commercial or OTG... were not intended to be useable. WE can take an area, visually spot out the best spot and make do. It is a SKILL SET after years of experience.

All of the other details are subject to each individual. Your TOW Vehicle and be on the slope and the trailer is LEVEL. Visually... not so, but with the leveling bubbles on our front and side... perfectly level Airstream!!!!

Your AXLES on your trailer position is what you watch. Leveling blocks (set of ten at least in a package) can handle almost any situation that appears to be FLAT, but not level.

You will be amazed that your front is high, your rear is low but the axles are sitting in a spot that has the unlevel ground apparent... but your tailer is perfectly LEVEL.

The learning curve is quick and your eye will pick out the BEST campsite at a RV Park or Off the Grid pullout.

The MOST IMPORTANT skill of checking out a possible camp site...is to walk it first. You will discover that once you pull the trailer to this camp site... the road becomes... worse. As you walk the potential turnout... toss rocks, obstacles and make note of tree branches and rocks that cannot be moved.

Eventually you will be able to glance at a Service Station and KNOW which pump, how to avoid poles, signs, parked vehicles and how to exit in less time that it took you to read Three Weeks and Six States title. Have fun. At first it appears impossible... and eventually one glance and it is a NO GO or That is the Spot!
Old 06-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Well... detached to grease Equalizer Hitch

Did detach at one OTG Camp.

Cleaned all of the moving parts, yes, even the bar slides on the Equalizer Hitch for sway control. (We never had sway issues towing with the F350 4x4.)

Greased and reattached AT the campsite. Quiet. No squealing, grinding or noise when turning at any angle. Wonderful hitch. If it moves... I grease it.