Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The Airstream Dream is not... dead

Boondocking is a matter of mind over matter. Because if you do not mind, it does not matter.

Make your trips less than two weeks. Ten days are perfect. Experience the Airstream Dream within your trailer, not within the Tow Vehicle, driving. Often, long drives can ruin your vacation and drain the enthusiasm, faster than your fuel tank. Frequent stops, make interesting conversations, when moving on further away from these…' interesting stops'.

Avoid making reservations and a daily planner. This takes up too much precious time. DO find a PURPOSE for your trip. It could be something everyone is interested in doing. It could be found without a decision made, at all. Be flexible.

Seasonal travel is better than expecting the weather to be more pleasant, where you are not. Camp in season where you want to go. Early birds may get the snow and ice.

Everyone needs some responsibility. Nancy is in charge of what goes into the trailer. I am responsible for the maintenance, upkeep and what goes into the back of the tow vehicle.

The passenger is ALWAYS in charge of following the Atlas of the State you are traveling. The driver sees a potential area that could possibly be a good area to explore and find an Off the Grid campsite. The Captain of the Map can see where and how far the turn off will be and you, the Captain of the Tow Vehicle, use your best judgment, before or after the turn is committed. The best campsites are not next to the Highway, but beyond that hill or mountain in the distance.

Most of all. If one or everyone is tired, pick a place to stop for the hour or for the evening. An enchanted evening at the Walmart Resort, beats a truck stop, idling diesels and no one is able to rest or catch any sleep.

The first and second years of an Airstream ownership are the best. Make the third and fourth years, the next first and second years. Try things you had never dared to do. It may be the best of times and a beginning of the fifth and sixth, first and second years of renewed enthusiasm.

Your Airstream has managed to follow you for years. It will go where you take it. Explore at your comfort level and beyond. If you do not try to 'discover' new places, you will find yourself reading this post and understand. We all have been discouraged at least once, with the belief ‘I have done and seen it all’. That may seem true.

Be a Christopher Columbus. Find that 'short cut' to Eden. It is there.

Just THIS time, attach your Airstream and go with only a direction and no idea of what to expect. And… you know what? You may be living the Airstream Dream, like Nancy and I.

The map just needs you to place the X.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Very well put.

We often have final destinations, but we leave a LOT of time to get there. Our top priority on most of our trips is to find the best ever boondocking spots. We have found some duds, and we have found some amazing, secluded, quiet, pristine spots with great views and great weather. The whole family agrees that the journey to get to the destination is usually the best part of the trip.
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Ray, you say to find a purpose for your trip. I have always called it an EXCUSE to hook up and head out. I usually start with a destination in mind (or a purpose). I often never reach the destination because I find that where I am is more interesting than where I was going. The benefit of that is that it still leaves an unexplored destination for a later excuse.

Two weeks does seem to be my usual trip, although I once was at one place for 28 days. It was 3 1/2 hours from the nearest pavement and 5 hours to the nearest town of more than one building.

I find that maps are my friend and are the source of many of my excuses for destinations. A good map and a compass are necessities.

I never seem to run out of things to do. I hunt for stones... sunstones, garnets, sapphires, thunder eggs, petrified wood, agate, panning for gold, and any "sparkly" that catches my eye.

Old homesteads and early wagon roads, and fish for supper are also on the list. In other words, I just pick a "treasure" and then go look for it. I love the hunt. I carry a small 2 wheel "scooter" for travel beyond the end of the road ( I am getting a bit arthritic and can hike only 4 or 5 miles and I always want to go farther) and a canoe for when the road gets too wet.

So get out after your own excuse.

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
No purpose for us sometimes ... often the neighbor asks where we are going and we respond with ... N, S, W, or E will be decided when we get out of town ...
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
“Just go...out there”—Captain James T. Kirk
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
"Go where no one else will go. Do what no one else will do."

(Mary Lyon, 1797-1849, founder of higher education for women)
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Industrial duty air streamer

Ray,your posts are great!
Keep them coming.
You are what I consider a hard core airstreamer.
Not all of us are there yet, but someday maybe.
Great reading!
Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
Ray, ABSOLUTELY!! We have been camping for 40 years; the last 2 years in an AS!! Both retired this past year and are looking forward to that first trip of the season. Since working schedules dictated our previous trips, our camping had to be time managed. NOT this year! If we are gone for a month, 2 months...ok, If we go 50 miles in one day and like the area...ok! Always, always enjoy the moment.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Enjoy the ride! We recently drove the backroads through part of central and north Florida. While it's not exactly the boondocking experience that Ray & Nancy typically undertake, the backroads (some call them blue highways) are certainly a nice diversion from Interstates and other four-lane roads.

On this cross-Florida trip we took the better part of two days to travel what most would do in just a few hours. We stopped at a museum, ate at a local pub and sampled their beverages and stayed overnight at a Moose Lodge with water and electric hookups. As I said, not boondocking, but certainly off the beaten path.

We hope to take another trip out west/southwest again sometime soon. Ray and Nancy showed us the ropes a few years ago and we had a great time.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
I love these posts - thank you for your contributions Ray.
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Boondocking is a matter of mind over matter. Because if you do not mind, it does not matter.

Make your trips less than two weeks. Ten days are perfect. Experience the Airstream Dream within your trailer, not within the Tow Vehicle, driving. Often, long drives can ruin your vacation and drain the enthusiasm, faster than your fuel tank. Frequent stops, make interesting conversations, when moving on further away from these…' interesting stops'.

Avoid making reservations and a daily planner. This takes up too much precious time. DO find a PURPOSE for your trip. It could be something everyone is interested in doing. It could be found without a decision made, at all. Be flexible.

Seasonal travel is better than expecting the weather to be more pleasant, where you are not. Camp in season where you want to go. Early birds may get the snow and ice.

Everyone needs some responsibility. Nancy is in charge of what goes into the trailer. I am responsible for the maintenance, upkeep and what goes into the back of the tow vehicle.

The passenger is ALWAYS in charge of following the Atlas of the State you are traveling. The driver sees a potential area that could possibly be a good area to explore and find an Off the Grid campsite. The Captain of the Map can see where and how far the turn off will be and you, the Captain of the Tow Vehicle, use your best judgment, before or after the turn is committed. The best campsites are not next to the Highway, but beyond that hill or mountain in the distance.

Most of all. If one or everyone is tired, pick a place to stop for the hour or for the evening. An enchanted evening at the Walmart Resort, beats a truck stop, idling diesels and no one is able to rest or catch any sleep.

The first and second years of an Airstream ownership are the best. Make the third and fourth years, the next first and second years. Try things you had never dared to do. It may be the best of times and a beginning of the fifth and sixth, first and second years of renewed enthusiasm.

Your Airstream has managed to follow you for years. It will go where you take it. Explore at your comfort level and beyond. If you do not try to 'discover' new places, you will find yourself reading this post and understand. We all have been discouraged at least once, with the belief ‘I have done and seen it all’. That may seem true.

Be a Christopher Columbus. Find that 'short cut' to Eden. It is there.

Just THIS time, attach your Airstream and go with only a direction and no idea of what to expect. And… you know what? You may be living the Airstream Dream, like Nancy and I.

The map just needs you to place the X.

Detours are the spice of life!
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Detour... Muddy Road Ahead... is the spice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Detours are the spice of life!
As JamuJoe and I understand... Mountain Roads can be wonderful... or, as JJ says, "the spice of life".

You decide. Grey's River, western Wyoming, 3 August 2018... we backed up the road aways and managed to turn around.

This road is on the State of Wyoming map as a 'maintained road'. When, maintained... I am not sure if in the 20th or 21st Century.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5407.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	319940  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #13
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Cool Hi Ray - and this is our guide to life's travels

"Once a journey is designed, equipped, and put in process, a new factor enters and takes over. A trip, a safari, an exploration, is an entity, different from all other journeys. It has personality, temperament, individuality, uniqueness. A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. Tour masters, schedules, reservations, brass-bound and inevitable, dash themselves to wreckage on the personality of the trip. Only when this is recognized can the blown-in-the glass bum relax and go along with it. Only then do the frustrations fall away. In this a journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it." - John Steinbeck
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Bingo!

A great quote from Travels With Charley: In Search of America.

" . . . a trip takes us . . . "

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #15
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Terrific quote, Dr. Brick-- Thanks.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote