Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
tank sizes for boondockers

hey boondockers,

i'm in the early stages of a shell-off updating of my 22' flying cloud and my mind is on tanks at the moment. i'm planning on doing a good amount of boondocking since i've already been doing it with the tent and this is socal. i'm thinking of a 20 gallon black, 25 gallon grey, and 30 or 35 gallon fresh. what does everyone else have? are your tanks above floor or within the frame?

this is such an exciting topic, one more way to pass the work day.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
There are a number of threads that contain a lot of info regarding tank sizes and locations. They'll probably come up in a search.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
there is lots of info in the search. i am curious as to specifically what people who boondock have. i thought it would be a fun and exciting post, but maybe not.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
there is lots of info in the search. i am curious as to specifically what people who boondock have. i thought it would be a fun and exciting post, but maybe not.
David,
I should have looked at your signature line before suggesting a search!
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Our 34 has 54 fresh, 37 gray, 39 black

About 3/4 or more of what we use from the fresh tank winds up as gray water. So we're about 6 gallons short there. The other 1/4 is matched by food and other drink, and winds up in the black tank (about 27 gallons). Starting out with 2 gallons in it to prevent the black mountain under the toilet, and hoping not to get within 2 gallons of max capacity, leaves right at 6 gallons spare we can use to offset the gray water capacity shortage by dumping dishwater in the toilet, etc.

But honestly, we've never maxxed those tanks out in the Airstream. The sailboat is another story, with basically the same percentages, but on a much smaller scale.

If you go with 32 gallons fresh, the 25 gallons gray and 20 gallons black should be about right, at least the way we use water.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #6
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
hey boondockers,

i'm in the early stages of a shell-off updating of my 22' flying cloud and my mind is on tanks at the moment. i'm planning on doing a good amount of boondocking since i've already been doing it with the tent and this is socal. i'm thinking of a 20 gallon black, 25 gallon grey, and 30 or 35 gallon fresh. what does everyone else have? are your tanks above floor or within the frame?

this is such an exciting topic, one more way to pass the work day.
David.
Definetly under floor.
I plan on doing the exact conversion but not for awhile. I am/ have been doing a few on other trailers and the real question is whether you want to keep them within the existing frame depth so as to mostly enclose under the bellypan, or to drop them and gain more capacity. A lot of 5-7" depth stock tanks are available and some will get you up to 25- 27 gals but no more. Most are in the 17-20 gal range - or pay more for a custom design.
I have a catalogue of stock tanks and we can work out a system if you can give me the cavity measurements.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
The optimal sizes are:

Black tank - 10 gal
Grey tank - 28 gal
Freshwater - 27 gal

Coz that's what I have.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
David,
I should have looked at your signature line before suggesting a search!
Dave
dave, too funny. i've been thinking of a signature for awhile and i know i wanted it to say something about the search button but the words never quite came to me UNTIL i read your first response, so i went and changed my signature, and it updated it on all my posts. in other words, it wasn't there when you responded but appeared there after i changed my signature, make sense? i'm still laughing.

creampuff - i'm going to try and get the shell off this weekend so then i can assess the frame and see what i have for dimensions to work with. i can move some cross members around if needs be, i'm gonna try really hard to use stock sizes. i've looked at incaplastics.com and roncoplastics. inca looks like some possibilities. i'll send you a p.m. when i get my cavity dimensions.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
I have a 2007 20ft Safari with 22 gallon fresh water, 18 gal gray and black water. Black water tank can last a long time, however, the size of fresh and gray water tanks could be larger.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Our 22' CCD has 30 gallons fresh, 20 gallons gray and 20 gallons black. We boondock almost exclusively.... wish we had more gray water capacity (30 gallons). We use a portable "blue boy" tote for the gray water if we'll be camping for more than about 5 days. That way, we can drain off 10 gallons of gray water into the blue boy, and stretch things to 7-9 days. Also, we find that we never completely fill the black water tank, and sometimes dump excessive gray water into that. With some creativity and careful use of water we can do even better than that.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
One of the reasons I bought my trailer ('99 23' Safari) is tankage: 39 (+6 in water heater) = 45 fresh, 39 gray, 39 black. I think the consensus is that almost always, the gray tank fills first unless e.g. dishwashing water, etc. is "captured" and put down the toilet. And you can always carry additonal totes, etc. of fresh water ... so to me (and my somewhat limited experience), get the largest gray water tank you can stuff in the trailer. Then a) limit shower water use, b) minimize dish washing (paper plates?), c) put wash water down the toilet, and d) carry extra fresh water, and you can boondock for a LONG time.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote