Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2020, 08:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Lincoln , 68512
suggestions for on a River campsite in Wyoming?

We are looking for suggestions on any riverside campsites in the Eastern half of Wyoming that we would be able to get our 27' Globetrotter into. Trying to plan out an early spring or late summer trip.
JMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Following.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
State parks

Try Boysen SP on the Wind River or Buffalo Bill SP.

Both are great. And on the eastern half of the state?

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
River campsite in Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAirS View Post
Try Boysen SP on the Wind River or Buffalo Bill SP.

Both are great. And on the eastern half of the state?

John
I agree with John about these being wonderful campgrounds. Boysen State Park is more toward the center of the state. After we left Yellowstone and the Tetons on our trip out west in 2015 we planned to spend some time in Thermopolis. We wanted to explore the Hot Springs State Park there. We camped at a private campground in Thermopolis, but after leaving there and continuing on our journey we drove down the Wind River Valley toward Shoshoni, WY. What a spectacular drive. https://travelwyoming.com/listing/sh...n-scenic-byway

We saw the campgrounds of Boysen State Park (BSP) there, right on the river as we drove through. They were beautiful and we wished we had stayed there. Thermopolis is an easy drive from BSP campgrounds and the mineral Hot Spring is worth seeing. However, camping is prettier and better in the Wind River Canyon, Boysen State Park.
https://www.reserveamerica.com/explo...20021/overview

We stayed on some friends property near Yellowstone in Powell, Wyoming. On our day trips into the east entrance of Yellowstone we passed by Buffalo Bill State Park although a more western location than BSP. It is beautiful too! Some sites overlook the Shoshone River. The Buffalo Bill Cody Dam is there closer into Cody, WY. and a must see.
https://wyoparks.wyo.gov/index.php/a...s-buffalo-bill

If you just need a place to overnight, there is a city park in Powell, Wy. which is not too far from, Yellowstone and Thermopolis and very close to Cody, Wy. It is Homesteader City Park - 1049 E Coulter Ave Powell, WY 82435.
They allow 48 hour stay parking. It is first come first serve. There is a little museum with nice restroom facilities, picnic tables and grilling areas, and a dump station with potable water for refilling fresh water tanks. It is free.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:21 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Lincoln , 68512
Thanks for all the info, we will heck them out
Old 12-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
You might also want to look at Glendo and Keyhole reservoirs.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMann View Post
Thanks for all the info, we will heck them out
You specified “eastern” right? Buffalo Bill SP is western Wyoming as indirectly mentioned by virtue of fact it is about 15 miles west of Cody. If you do not already have the apps Allstays and Campendium you should get. They will help you find what you need. I just used them on my first long trailer trip (52 days) to the western states from NC. I have lived in Wyoming and Arizona and went back 2 years ago tent camping and cheap hotelling. But this time with the trailer I needed far more info. I used these apps extensively. My first main stop along the way was in Beatrice, NE where I visited a friend and the very nice Homesteader’s National Monument.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Lincoln , 68512
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsasf View Post
You specified “eastern” right? Buffalo Bill SP is western Wyoming as indirectly mentioned by virtue of fact it is about 15 miles west of Cody. If you do not already have the apps Allstays and Campendium you should get. They will help you find what you need. I just used them on my first long trailer trip (52 days) to the western states from NC. I have lived in Wyoming and Arizona and went back 2 years ago tent camping and cheap hotelling. But this time with the trailer I needed far more info. I used these apps extensively. My first main stop along the way was in Beatrice, NE where I visited a friend and the very nice Homesteader’s National Monument.
Thanks smsasf, we use both those apps and really like them. we just recently sold our '17 flying cloud 23 and we typically stayed in established campgrounds (never have spent time in Wyoming though) and since we still have to work we tend to take shorter trips and that is why I am thinking Eastern part of Wyoming, that would be about 1.5 day drive. We can't wait for the days where we can take those longer trips. A little jealous of ya. We pick up our 27' Globetrotter the end of January and we are determined to find places we can set up, walk out the door and start fly fishing but a little nervous about finding places we can pull the trailer to without to much difficulty. Thanks for your advice and safe travels.