Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Stone Age Caveman Boondocking 2021 AD Style

We, as Airstream owners and wanna beeeeeees, have seen changes each and every year in our choice of trailer camping.

Some Airstream changes include mostly color changes, flooring design and texture. Some really in Bad Taste and Flooring going from great when covered with floor mats and some seen in 2020 is... well, not for us if it were free.

- "Boondocking" had updated our style from Tent Camping, to an Airstream in 2006 as a huge upgrade over a nylon tear protected colorful Tent. We rediscovered this after selling the 2014 International 25 and spent 2019 in a dome tent with two old people and two Blue Heelers. Old is relative. I know relatives who think camping went out with wagons being pulled by oxen.

We forgot why we bought the 2006 Airstream after tent camping for several decades in weather, real weather where it would get cold, hot, wet, humid... well you know... camping. Our biggest issue would be a Zipper getting hung up when the wind was howling louder than the two Blue Heelers wanting inside, totally wet from a downpour... kind of wonderful experience. The vestibule was not their choice of comfort at times.

- "Boondocking Off the Grid" became infiltrated with my relatives. RV Parks are roughing it. Power Grid KWatt Camping is now top of the list. Fiber optic computer hookups available for a fee, enough electricity to power up computers and televisions, vent fans, microwave, refrigerator and outside lights that appear to be a Brothel in Clark County, Nevada. It is all about OTG and not leaving any comforts behind from home cooking and life styles of the, well whatever it is today.

Now 2021AD is Stone Age Caveman Boondocking. Energy has always come from using the SUN. That bright object at night. That is called the Moon. Wow... Solar Panels are now inexpensive and the instructions easy to read in small print on a sheet of paper no larger than a couple postage stamps.

The problem is Homo sapiens have difficulty today to adapt to the Neanderthal experience. Camping is camping in a tent or a lavish trailer when you can use the Toilet at a whim and not have to rush the process, like when you used the shovel and digging technique. Not a hole in the tent floor, the one in the Airstream. Although I would consider than if the tent was much larger in mid January.

Sit down and reconsider WHAT kind of camper you may be or become. If you TENT camped and now going into an Airstream... you are already Stone Age Caveman Boondocking material. Stop reading and write the check for that pre electric refrigerator Airstream if one can be found.

Those who believe that an Airstream is like a high end mobile Hotel Room overlooking Miami Beach with white beaches and people with some clothing or a hat only... wake up. You are day dreaming. This is still Camping, if you want to admit it or not.

Well... I could go on, but why? There are some SAC Boondockers out there and lots and lots of Homo sapiens lining up for the experience of their lifetime. In less than 12 months these Airstreams will be for sale... lots of them. Enough to keep everyone happy for years. But... read the Forums. There are a few SACB's following these Threads when not on the road... avoiding the rest needing to borrow some tools and how to get into their Airstream as the door is stuck... again.

Advice and comments are welcome. You be the judge. The jury is about to make a decision. Tent or Airstream... bring a shovel and get a BIG Tent.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:45 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
PERRY , UT
Great post Ray! Well said.

I'd like to think I am one of the geriatric Neanderthal campers. My reasons for getting an AS are mostly to make camping more comfortable, getting too old for the tent and shovel. Compared to my old tent I think my 16ft Caravel (when it finally gets here) will seem like the Taj Mahal!

My only trailer camping experience was from back in the 70s, in college I spent summers working in the woods (Mostly in Teton NF) and living in a bunk trailer, for months at a time. No power, no water, no bathroom. Water came from the nearest creek, and the best bathroom I can remember was a big log to sit on with a hole dug on one side... Easier than finding a new place every morning. Worked fine, except you had to beware porcupines at night. At the time I actually preferred my tent and sometimes set it up to avoid the crowded smelly trailer.

Fast forward 50 years and I still want to camp, just in an easier way. If I was one of those cavemen I know I'd be long dead by now... If anyone mistakes my trailer for a brothel they will be sorely disappointed.

Interesting comment you make about all the new buyers who will likely be disillusioned and selling next year. You are probably right, and I gave that some thought before buying at this time. But I ain't getting any younger, waiting another year just wasn't something I wanted to do. Hope I don't end up being one of those, have not gotten rid of the tent just yet though.
alligatorob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Tucson , AZ
Coming to AS from backpacking and camping, but now with 4 kids and wanting to see some of the country... no, a lot of the country, and having the flexibility to work and school on the road while doing it. It seems like Airstreams are meant to stay on the pavement but that's not our goal. Trying to make an electric budget to figure out how much solar, or types of batteries, and realizing that we never had an energy budget camping before, but sometimes we wouldn't be able to find the spare batteries for the flashlights or sometimes we would forget the fuel and have too cook over the campfire. This is going to be an interesting experience.
aaryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Nice read Ray!
When I saw caveman in the title, count me in!
Anyone who read that recent entertaining thread here, concerning the horror of dirt associated with camping, by a brand new glamper, knows that there will be a lot of 1 yr old/ one owner rigs of all brands, soon for sale...
Old 04-13-2021, 01:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. The one that couldn’t handle dust and had to wash their dusty dogs every day...I refrained from commenting on that silliness.

My SWMBO and I travel with a pack of four dogs and CrackerDock on the road, usually because we’re going somewhere in a hurry. Started out tent camping with three kids, built a van, then got the family Airstream because we’re gettin a bit too old to sleep on the ground.

I shovel out the “big chunks” when we get back from a trip. The dogs visit the groomer for a bath and trim maybe every three months or so. Around our house, dog hair is considered an occasional condiment.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
ICE AGE Refers operate well by Neanderthals! :)

I find three Airstream owners who can Grunt without accents. Great..

On another Thread, someone mentioned that HIS Airstream has Propane AND Electric options. That is WHY you want ONLY an Airstream made WITH those two Options. Some are thinking and it is hurting the soft tissue, between those things hanging on each side your your head.

For Stone Age Caveman Boondockers to read, only, please... IF you are not a Neanderthal this is not going to be pleasant. It could be borderline offensive to those whose brain mass and contents exceed the maximum for Men at 3.1 pounds or 1600 grams for the transitional members advanced in mathematics.

... Before you leave on a SACB trip, use that 1600g that operate 125 trillion synapses and can store 4.7 bits per synapse. More than your lap top? Well, probably mine. This sounds scientific and so will the following...

Plug your Airstream into your wall outlet in the garage BEFORE leaving on your adventure. Turn the 'magical switch' on the Refer to Electric. Let the Refer cool down to operating temperature, set the Refer in the 3 to 5 range. If the garage is hot, the higher for... cooler. If the garage is cold, the lower end which is hotter, but cooler. It is NOT a ONE SETTING operation... recall the 125,000,000,000,000 bytes? Probably not, but you made it this far. Hot Air is YOUR issue. Not mine. I have plenty to share.

Now fill the freezer with PRE Frozen ice cubes in plastic bags. Bring an ice cube tray when you use them up for later cubes. Yes... your brain is heating up and the the REFER is cooling down at the same time. (Not fill the freeze compartment with 1400 ice cubes... just enough. Geeez... I could sense some comments coming.)

On hot days the Refer number goes up. On cooler days the Refer number goes down. Conserve your propane. Keeping the Refer at 37F to 39F on the outside display is Ohhhh Weee Cave temperature.

The Freezer in the 'Referze' (new term) will be around 2F to 4F. If you have a couple of US or Canadian Dollars... get a small temperature gauge for the freezer. With BIG Numbers as the longer you are trying to read the temperature, the 103F outside air may be affecting it.

Cavemen and Cavewomen understand all of this. The Homo erectus of the species might, and the sapien... well, buy that used twice Airstream with the factory Ice Cube tray installed and frozen for your starter set..

(I had to ask Nancy for exact numbers as this is much too complicated to do with a stone axe and large walking stick. I do not touch anything with my fingers inside the trailer. I am the outside Neanderthal, day or night. Oh... I am the one responsible for removing the Power cord from the outlet. So far 100%.)
Old 04-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
It’s interesting to see how people feel about camping, boondocking, “glamping”, etc.

My brother and his wife bought an SOB trailer last year around the same time we bought our Airstream. They’ve never camped anywhere outside of a big commercial campground, usually KOA. They have never had water in their fresh water tank. They love to park at a campground, stretch out in their big recliners, and watch TV. They call it glamping, and they love it. I’m happy for them.

When we compare our camping experiences, it’s almost like we’re speaking different languages. Looking back at 2020, we camped with hookups less than 15% of the time. I don’t think we used the television at all. We like to be outside, hiking or enjoying whatever the area has to offer. I enjoy the challenge of trying to conserve water and electricity.

I’m no expert on boondocking; I’m far from it. However, I know enough to know that you’re missing out on some great experiences if you don’t give it a try.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Tying this into another thread .....

Part of what makes this work is fire. Indeed that is still "in bounds" when using flint tools. It's been around for quite a while. What's a bit odd in an RV is that fire was used to make things cold ( = absorption fridge). Yes, past tense.

Take your ~ 1A fridge load and turn it into 3 or 4A .... yikes .... That's going 24 hours a day while you are camping. Chilled beer *is* on the list of "minimum requirements". Others *might* argue that the fridge has higher priorities .... I'm not buying it.

On the first trailer I ever used, you went and got a block of ice to put in the "ice box". Needless to say, that approach had its limits. It was fun in the 1950's. That trailer bit the dust when the Fed's ruled you needed trailer brakes.

Indeed tents (at least the ones we spent decades in) don't seem to come with a fridge. Somehow we survived. I even seem to remember having fun in tents. A lot (though by no means all) of it was two to four day outings. That made running with a cooler semi-practical. We generally were within range of an ice machine at some point in the trip.

It's raining here right now. That reminds me that tents also had some drawbacks ..

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:12 AM   #9
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Funny that thing about tents. I lived in the rescue site in Camp IV in Yosemite in the early 1970’s. One winter in my Glacier Tent. Some nights you had to get up hourly to sweep the snow off the tent. Great memories and grateful for the lovely maids that had heated rooms.
Now I live and travel in my Airstream. It is a nice creature comfort at this age especially since I find myself waking up, but not for snow, several times a night.
Perspective. I am currently presiding in the Owens Valley with lovely views of the Sierra (Mt.Whitney!). I visit here every year for many reasons including the daily flybys of the men from a Ellis and Fallon. Having an F-35 fly 100 feet overhead gets the dogs attention (and mine).
Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Tying this into another thread .....

Part of what makes this work is fire. Indeed that is still "in bounds" when using flint tools. It's been around for quite a while. What's a bit odd in an RV is that fire was used to make things cold ( = absorption fridge). Yes, past tense.

Take your ~ 1A fridge load and turn it into 3 or 4A .... yikes .... That's going 24 hours a day while you are camping. Chilled beer *is* on the list of "minimum requirements". Others *might* argue that the fridge has higher priorities .... I'm not buying it.

On the first trailer I ever used, you went and got a block of ice to put in the "ice box". Needless to say, that approach had its limits. It was fun in the 1950's. That trailer bit the dust when the Fed's ruled you needed trailer brakes.

Indeed tents (at least the ones we spent decades in) don't seem to come with a fridge. Somehow we survived. I even seem to remember having fun in tents. A lot (though by no means all) of it was two to four day outings. That made running with a cooler semi-practical. We generally were within range of an ice machine at some point in the trip.

It's raining here right now. That reminds me that tents also had some drawbacks ..

Bob
Thanks for the laughs Uncle Bob!
Here's how to eliminate the tiny Airstream fridge cooling issues, when caveman style boondocking.
These new Airstream " boondockers" can go to Walmart, and buy a big Coleman Extreme 6,( or 5 )in different sizes.Ive got a couple 120 quart, ( hold 200 cans of beer) for fishing.
These are made in USA, and keep ice for 5 or 6 days.Freeze a bunch of gallon water jugs in chest freezer at home.Add a lot of frozen food, no electric needed.
if that cooler is too big for them to put in tow vehicle, they need a bigger tow vehicle.That solves 2 problems at once!
When the water jugs eventually thaw, keep one handy outside, for steralizing camping related cuts, cave man style
Old 04-14-2021, 11:46 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Is boondocking scary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
It’s interesting to see how people feel about camping, boondocking, “glamping”, etc.

My brother and his wife bought an SOB trailer last year around the same time we bought our Airstream. They’ve never camped anywhere outside of a big commercial campground, usually KOA. They have never had water in their fresh water tank. They love to park at a campground, stretch out in their big recliners, and watch TV. They call it glamping, and they love it. I’m happy for them.
In a post I made a few years back I put up a picture of our rig on the Gulf Coast, after having driven a few miles south on the beach of North Padre Island (you need a 4x4). We were surrounded by a variety of beautiful birds, waves, dunes, wind and not much else, paradise. A comment that was posted was "Weren't you scared?". I think that says a lot about the state of evolution of homo sapiens.

We are a gregarious species, but it doesn't seem to me that being in the middle of nature has to be scary...
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Gorilla Glue the Entire Fragile Airstream Interior....

Three Dog Night trailer camping still in the Rocky Mountains from weather reports. We have only Two Blue Heelers, so Nancy is following the weekly highs and lows predicted for south central New Mexico now. A 'Custer Reversal' for camping in the central Rocky Mountains until... June, mid-May at best.

The trip on horse to the Little Big Horn in June, really was a pleasant time of the year to travel in 1876. Finding a better area to camp, next time is the lesson learned. Crowded camp grounds are always unpleasant. You will learn that as well.

Some people are offended when Cavemen and Cavewomen step out of their high tech Airstream to promote... low tech appliances. Propane. Solar. Yikes...

Airstreams are RARE within the Off the Grid camping community. Mostly fifth wheels. Hmmm... they make it with two ATV's in tow and an Airstream... can't do... what, again? Having a bicycle or tow rack in the back of an Airstream, causing dangerous wind shear and the trailer could flip off the road?

We encountered one, a new Airstream, at Cedar Breaks, Utah in the High Country east of Cedar City. The couple would not come out of their Airstream as they were afraid of possibly being infected by 'paleostream' owners. We were out hiking at 8,000 feet and breathing, normal. Nancy and myself, as well. We looked a bit hairy to them. I do not get hair cuts while in the forest, deserts or at a Costco parking lot in Kalispell, Montana. We... rough it out. Toughens us up.

Many Airstream owners believe that anyone taking their trailer off the paved roads and into the deep forests are... ruining their Airstream.

The BLM and NFS improved roads... they must be horrible for Airstream travel. Hmm... Wally Byam believed that is why Airstreams were riveted, like an Airplane withstanding high speeds and maintain high interior pressure, which today, keeps our trailers from sucking too much dust into the interior, towed on dusty roads.

Not glued or screwed outside shells of fiber glass. They also traveled with 'parts and service' on the African paleoAirstream adventures.

It is NOT the Airstream that is fragile and suffering from off the pavement travel. It is the contents within the tow vehicle. The 'worry warts' found under the carpets and leather seats...

One good suggestion since you made it this far and hung in their like a true Neanderthal.

Those hinges that are pulling out of the curved cabinet doors under the sink. Remove the hinge with loose screws... Gorilla Glue them and reinstall. Glop it into the recess and also each screw. The curved doors are some kind of fake looking wood grained material, as using plywood in multiple layers and steam them to the curve costs too much. So take it like a Paleo Camper... Gorilla Glue everything that comes loose when you travel. Don't monkey around with this stuff. No monkey glue. Gorilla.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Cave man camping? Count me out. Glamping? Count me out. Dirt and dust and wind blown dust? As little as possible. A cold beer? Yes. And a trout stream. I am not putting up with dirt unless I get something in return. Like a trout stream.

I sorta like the Forest Service and COE sites with electricity personally. I prefer to run my CPAP full out than to cut off all the heaters and watch the battery voltage.

My wife loves to camp for the joy of spending all day poking a smokey fire and the joy of spending 3 hours trying to cook dinner while the fish are biting and sitting around one 12 volt light to draw the mosquitoes.
I don't. But I can and sometimes do. A Kindle supplies its own light for reading.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:28 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We like to say "we moved up the food chain" from sleeping bags under the stars to a small tent, a big tent, a small tent trailer, a big tent trailer, a hybrid trailer and finally to our Airstream. It took 45 years -we do boondock and occasionally we "glamp" as well. In the olden days, KOA (Kamping on Asphalt) never happened at all, but in our golden years sometimes it seems like a valid choice.

But, laughter abounds when we read about someone who wants to boondock and needs to know how big a generator they need to run the refrigerator, the microwave and a hair dryer all at once! Or how much solar they need to dry camp for 2 weeks. Hum...our solar recharges every day, it's fresh water, gray and black tanks that require tending during the 2 weeks. Guess they will learn.

And a bit of head shaking when the nearest camper in a remote and beautiful woodland setting pulls out his portable bar, plush recliners, his 65" television, hooks up his generator and gets angry when he has no reception for the game he was hoping to see. It was fun to watch though, we were betting on whether he had a satellite dish or not (NOT!).
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
PaleoFishing at a Rock Quarry in Kemmerer, Wyoming

The Best Trout Glamping can be done at Bennett Spring State Park, Missouri. March 1 to October 31. The Fish Hatchery have large Rainbow Trout to feed, so keep a roll of quarter dollars in your pocket and get Fish Food to toss. Crystal clear water flows out of the CAVERN ,so Cavemen Fisherman had to move out of the cavern and leave it to the Fish. Lost my taste for those trout. Cavey.

I never fished at Bennett Spring, but on opening day they are probably less than 400 maybe 500 shoulder to shoulder for a week, month? Lots of civilized camping around the area, too. We were tent camping and floating upstream on inner tubes and our PaleoBlueHeller. Lost our CaveDirt Tans, too.

Another great area to fish are Granite and Crystal Reservoirs west of Cheyenne, Wyoming. $100 a year and Out of Staters can fish ALL year. Ice fishing included.

Park the Airstream in Cheyenne if any can be found. Get a newspaper and find out when the Fish and Game STOCK the reservoir. Those 12 inch trout go after dog food to what is left of your ham sandwich. Flies are my favorite, if they are on my arm and did not crush it beyond recognition.

Montana... Ooooohhhhh Weeee. Park along the highway. Beat the brush out of the way, cat tails and mosquitos for private fishing. Moose and Bear like it as well. Missouri River... BIG trout moving upstream on either side. You have to swim to get the to better fishing... always. NO trout on the side you will be fishing.

Do I fish anymore? Yes. At Kemmerer, Wyoming Fossil Butte. Big ones. 40,000,000 years old and as hard as rock. My favorites run about 30 inches and just bone. The flesh was eaten by bacteria. Not me.

Nancy likes to read a book sitting in a lawn chair while I am chipping stone tools.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Atwebs... when they ask those questions.

Ask why they have not purchased a Lunar or Moon Panel to take advantage of Moonshine? Sun Light is reflected from the Moon and focused onto a small round area on the Earth's Surface during the evenings, during the Full Moon.

Animals in the forests eyes are adapted to seeing better at night as it is not as bright, since the Moon Shine is filtered by the atmosphere on the Moon.

I had my shirt off one evening and had a terrible Moon Burn.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:47 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
I love these threads! I miss the propane only fridge in my 64 overlander-no control board to go bad. Grew up camping in the sierras on the cold hard ground. Love my AS because I don't have to prove myself to anyone. My wife thinks i'm crazy for where i pull the AS, I have thousands of acres of public land to see. My flint is ready and so is my shovel! Kurt
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:37 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
.......A 'Custer Reversal' for camping in the central Rocky Mountains until... June, mid-May at best.

The trip on horse to the Little Big Horn in June, really was a pleasant time of the year to travel in 1876. Finding a better area to camp, next time is the lesson learned. Crowded camp grounds are always unpleasant. You will learn that as well.

Hi

One tidbit learned back in the day: If you push and push and push so hard on your trip that nobody even has time to water the horses .... when you "get there" it's not going to be a lot of fun ...

Packing *way* too much into a trip is a problem, regardless of what you think the constraints are ( even Custer could have taken a bit more time ....). Most constraints are self imposed. Change your planning approach and they tend to go away.

One of the great things about camping "out in a cave" is that there aren't any reservations required. Indeed, there may not even be a defined location to go to. Want to spend another day / week / month .. here? Do it. This cave not what you hoped it would be? move on. Does the area you are driving through look interesting? Stop for a day or ten and check it out.

One can be *very* flexible doing it "the old way". Cavemen did *not* have an app on their phone to reserve a campsite a year in advance

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
How each individual or family utilizes their silver tent is up to the user. We try not to judge. We use ours as a simply complex shelter from the weather, and as a vessel to explore. For instance, we never take a television camping. Our little girls don't completely understand that, but that is OK. If we want to watch TV, we can stay home. For us, that is not the point of traveling with an Airstream.

I am an Eagle Scout from an era when that really meant something. I have slept under the stars, in self-built lean-tos, in canvas and nylon tents, cabins, etc. I feel I don't have much to prove when talking about "camping." I have hiked out with the camp on my back and survived a week. What we do with our Airstream is not camping, it is RVing.

My family, growing up, used the Airstream the same way, though mom and dad did always have a TV along. We camped mostly in campgrounds or State Parks, but we did boondock occasionally. The longest stretches were two week jaunts when we worked selling ice cream at semi-local fairs and the Airstream became our literal home away from home. This was in a '66 and then a '72 Airstream, with no gray water tank, small-ish black water tanks, and a single deep cycle battery. No lithium. No Solar. The battery was maintained, we conserved energy and water, and it worked great.

It seems to me no one can fathom boondocking anymore without thousands of watts of solar and a lithium battery bank. Again, to each his own.

We can spend a week off-grid with the basics. Our Bambi II only has a single battery. We have changed our interior lights to LED. That helps. We conserve all things and enjoy the challenge.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
A 32 inch Louisville Slugger- A Cavewoman's Tool of Choice

PA Bambi II: There are experienced SACBknockers posting. Would you take a bag of salt and sugar for those two standing in the doorway? They will remember these camping days more than going to Disney World. You can have a pocket knife and know how to whittle as a Cub Scout, but today that is much too dangerous. Dangerous in the hands of adults... not young boys and girls.

I forgot to mention two or three of us traveled 550 miles, one way, in a 1956 and later the 1964 Volkswagen 'Curved Bug'. Near Hays, Kansas was a Rest Area and we would sleep for a few hours on a picnic table. No Cave Patrol bothered us. Wildlife, we were, in those days.

When you follow some Threads or just for entertainment... you have to scratch your thick skull and wonder, what is up? To some, an Airstream is something you can enter and know that this does that and this does not. Why would I ask which end of the Airstream is the Front? Come on. Get with it. The license plate is the Butt and the Propane Tanks and the hitch attachment thingie... well, that is the front.

If any Glampers, Newbies and, of course, the PIA Stone Age Caveman/woman Boondockers reading the short posts want to comment... we already see your names as Active Users, step up. You cannot insult a Caveman no more than insulting a Flat Tire. Neither give a Coprolite (a fossil term you would know from the Badlands).

A tire does what it does and so does someone looking for that 'special campsite' in the middle of a large City.

A local newspaper, after penning some words of Mark Twain wisdom from time to time that were no doubt printed by mistake, wanted me to.... ha ha ha... write a weekly 'memo' or something worth mentioning to other residents. I asked if I could us a 'Caveman Name' and not my real name of Bungi-no-gotti-any-common-cents-for-numb-knobers. They said not really. I then said how about Bungi the Great Ape... That was also a no. I passed.

Pick up Local Newspapers at the local Restaurants on your travels and READ THEM. You can chew on a leg of a roasted gopher and read, can't you? Lots of good stuff. Also look at the newspaper name. If it says 'Laramie Boomerang', you are probably not in San Diego any longer. That is why the map is important to some of us. I go by memory. I cannot get lost, either. ...'cause if you do not where you are going, where you are going to set up camp... does it matter? Nope... never does. Problem solved.

Those who Plan to stop at X Restroom at Quinter, Kansas and then eat when you arrive at North Platte, Nebraska at 3AM and complain that the entire town is dark and shut down... you need to tough it out. Too much planning. You need to make a note that you have a Home on Wheels and the address is on the Plate mounted above the rear... that is in the back, bumper.

Where are the Cavewomen that should be stepping out of their cavern Airstream?

Foraging for crickets and bird eggs is not for men to do. How do you manage the Caveman in your life? Can you handle a Louisville Slugger 32 inch piece of oak, or not?

You have to be able to Kick some Weasel to get things done. My wife says that all of the time... well, not really, but YOU get the idea. Weasels can read, also, but rarely have enough memory to write anything making any more sense, than I have.