Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #61
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One might ask: If all this was so great "back in the day" why don't we all still live that way?

Well, first off, very very few cavemen worked in crowded offices. Pack everybody into 6 square foot cubes and showers become a very high priority. If you are the boss, explaining this to various folks becomes one of your tasks ... again from personal experience ... no, not a highlight of anybody's carrier

The same "office 12 hours a day" thing cuts you off from what's going on in the real world. Sunrise and sunset may both only be a "theory" if neither is noted as part of your day. Same thing with weather and all the seasonal changes. As they become remote, they become less important (and maybe even scary).

Based on the data I've seen, the typical caveman didn't live a long life. We (at least on average) live to be much older these days. Like it or not, aging does take a toll on you. Sleeping out under a tarp (that you call a tent, but face it, this one has no poles, it goes between to trees, it's a tarp ) and wrapped in a blanket ( it's summer ...) is not as much fun. Things like a mattress, a barrier to mice crawling into bed with you, and being able to stand up *inside* the shelter go from "nice" to "needed".

Yes, we all would be looked down on by those sturdy folks who camped out in these same areas 10,000 years ago. So be it, they *earned* that right. There is an enormous lot they could teach us about the practical aspects of doing all this. Indeed, there might be one or two things we could teach them in return.

Like it or not, there are a *lot* more folks around today than way back then. That alone forces a number of changes. There simply is no way to feed everybody if you do it caveman style. Having the entire population migrate here and there on a seasonal basis ... nope ...

What we *can* do is pick out the practical part of what these folks knew and use that. Combine it with a *minimum* of what we now have available and it all works pretty well. Yes anybody using "minimum" when referring to an Airstream is rightly going to get a few chuckles. So be it. Tune into any YouTube with "overland" in the title for more details ....

Everybody has hobbies (or they should). Playing games on your tech gadget (at least to me) does not qualify. Watching TV or playing DVD's .... nope. Even reading books (by it's self) ... nope. A hobby involves more than passive engagement. It gets your head into a new place. There is no "end" to a hobby ( = you can't win it ). Fishing is a hobby. Rock collecting is a hobby. Civil War history is a hobby. All (and many others) are enabled by being out of doors. This camping out stuff is simply the start of a whole bunch of stuff .... not an end in its self !!!

If you want the "why" to getting out and about, it's not going to be emptying the black water tank. It will not be backing into that insane site past those stupid trees. It will be looking out the window and noticing that a herd of Bison have bedded down overnight around the trailer. It will be doing a variety of hobbies. It will be a whole bunch of experiences that you could never plan to have ....

Get out and have fun !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:06 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Visitors..... of All Kinds when OTG

You never know who, or what is going to show up when camped.

Often they do not knock...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2404.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	396.5 KB
ID:	393731   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2406.jpg
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	393732  

Name:	DSCN1787.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	393733  
Old 04-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #63
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Hi

One thing I am *very* glad worked out .... when the bison heard "camped out" around our trailer, Our dogs were inside the whole time. The blinds were drawn as well so they could not see what was going on. I'm a bit amazed that the *smell* didn't tip them off. Our dogs are not as well behaved as the one in you pictures ....

Bob
Old 04-22-2021, 08:32 AM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Whilst boondocking in Wyoming's Snowy Range.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:35 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Libby, Montana: FREE Aerial Airstream Camping

Can't miss the opportunity to park next to this Airstream, can you?

Libby, Montana.

You have heard 'Pie in the Sky'? This is even... better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0396.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	393863  
Old 04-22-2021, 09:46 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Tried camping at a primitive site in Teddy Roosevelt National Park. No generator or solar. With CPAC. After the 96 degree day when we could not run the fans we just left the pre paid site and found a commercial campground with power. Why fight it? That is how I feel about caveman boodocking in dry areas. Now that we have a generator and micro air installed we have toughed out some hot, dry sites for a few days and enjoyed most of it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Crowded Open Spaces in NW Colorado...

My family migrated from the Dry Low Humidity West to humid and hot Missouri.

After my two year Army Fun, Travel and Adventure I made Wyoming my home, again. Never gave it a second thought... I do not think that much.

Hot is relative to Low... humidity. You do not sweat, you dehydrate. Your hat still fits, but your pants may not...

1- A popular camping spot of ours in NW Colorado.

2- A tow vehicle in Wyoming that broke down and with no service, or parts was just left. The doors were framed in wood. There was a gully in the same area full of 'obsolete 1920's and 1930's' automobiles to prevent erosion. We did not stop to take photos, but now need to find it again.

3- Pre Historic Plains Indians in Wyoming 'tipi rings'.

The Air when traveling with the windows down without Air Condition had a popping sound with the lower humidity beginning in western Kansas (about 4,000 feet elevation) and more so heading west. Only those who have done this understand. The rest... enjoy where you are. At least you are not home getting cooked, medium well with Air Conditioning and Mildew.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5226.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	393866   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3186.jpg
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	393867  

Name:	DSCN3049.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	393868  
Old 04-22-2021, 10:13 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Not for... Old People... Just the Young at Heart at any Age

Castle Rock, Colorado.

Even Old People with gusto can climb. Met a youngster whose mother was sitting on a bench down below and was not terrified that her Son was... well, I took the photo.

On Top. No other whiners, whimps or scared Human Beings.

Just a view of the entire City and a good time to just take a deep breath and say.... "Now what?" Going Down, believe it or not, is more difficult for Amateurs who think going UP was the hard part.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1811.jpg
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	393869   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1819.jpg
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	393870  

Old 04-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Zion Park: 9-27-20

Zion National Park, September 27, 2020. Off Season is just.... GREAT.

There is an automatic $15.00 charge to tow your trailer of any kind through the Tunnel on the South Exit and Entrance to the National Park. A Park Ranger sees you coming... will put the Orange Cone in front of you... and tell you the Bad Fat News.

Tunnels were made for two way traffic... but the Airstream is too wide and they will stop traffic from the opposite direction so your Big FAT Airstream and others, can manage not to side swipe oncoming traffic or the walls of the tunnel. Drive down the Center of the tunnel... OK? You paid for the privilege. Or... side swipe the right side of your Big Fat Airstream.

Cash... only. Cash? That worthless paper you never seem to need.

RV Camping?

Off the Grid camping, for Neanderthals, is FREE, wide Open and no charge for our Big FAT Airstream.

The 23 foot Airstream may seem not as wide... but the Park might consider it like all the others. Big and not as Fat.

Some new adventurers are discovering that RV Parks are booked up for Eternity and they pick up their new Airstream... sooner than later.

But... we all learn. If your 'new or current' Airstream has to be plugged into a Gigawatt Flux Capacitor... sorry. Boondockers OTG like Propane and Solar. Full Propane Tanks and just enough Solar for your kind of camping. AGM Batteries work just fine for us, but Hell... I chip my own tools from Flint, when needed.

IF possible... leave the Big Fat Airstream somewhere safe and save some money and also be able to park your Tow Vehicle to hike to Angel's Landing and... well, get the motivation to get past that... narrow entry. Chain or hands free.

Last photo opportunity. Wyoming. South of Montana and north of Texas. Nancy moving a rock out of my way... a real tight spot in the road... I said Last Photo Opportunity. I will be returning with help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0508.jpg
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	393885   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0498.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	393886  

Name:	DSCN0510.jpg
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	393887   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0486.jpg
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	393888  

Name:	DSCN0417.jpg
Size:	667.4 KB
ID:	393889  
Old 04-23-2021, 07:39 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Even Neanderthals Can Sit Back and Recall Better Times

Nancy and I gave comfort to our 16 year old Blue Heeler as the Vet laid him to a peaceful rest, like previous Blue Heelers. A full life with among a pack of adventures, too many to recall.

The Forums were a great distraction for me. My viewing our Boondocking Adventures and understanding these were for US and Our previous Heelers.

I am now at peace with a full life ending of a good friend and family member. As done with previous Best Friends, burying them in a special place at the residence at that time. Nancy finds a place to recall great times together.

Dingo would not be able to travel with us due to his age and failing sight, hearing and physical ability. His memory is fixed into our photographs from a Pup to an Old Friend. We will miss him.

Our search begins for another Blue Heeler who will be the Third Dingo. Our younger Heller, Blue notices a change in our routine but has already adjusted.

We will phase into the change of daily routines, as well. It takes a bit to find that empty dog pillow, which will be kept for the next Two Heelers to replace Dingo.

Now it is my time to Retire from this Thread and that those who participated. Thank you for those who added some great experiences and commentary.

We will be shutting things down at home shortly and will begin this Season with memories of our lost member of the Clan. Dingo. We miss you and will remember all of our Adventures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0728_2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	470.5 KB
ID:	393927   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0854.jpg
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	393928  

Old 04-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Stone Age Caveman Boondocking 2021 AD Style

Ray, best to you and Nancy. I’m sorry to hear of Dingo’s passing. Our old lady Chihuahua mix passed at the age of 20+. She mothered all the other pups. It’s still hard to deal with, and it’s been several years. They give so much love in their short time with us. Remember all the good times and keep going.

Name:	IMG_0058.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	492.5 KB
ID:	393938

Three of ours napping after breakfast. They are all rescues. The fourth is sleeping on his favorite basket.

Name:	IMG_4774.JPG
Size:	534.6 KB
ID:	393939
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:50 AM   #72
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Sorry to hear about Dingo. We lost one of ours in the middle of a camping trip a while back.

Take Care

Bob
Old 04-24-2021, 09:03 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Ray, very sorry about Dingo the Blue Heeler. Loosing a friend/family member is one of the hardest things ever. Hope we can meet on the trail some time. Maybe Iron County, Utah if you are still going.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Treed... Airstream and Tow Vehicle

This is an unusual Spring. Cold to the North. Cold to the South.

A friend sent to me a photo of a Falcon parked in a Tree.

Anyone would have said a Falcon cannot pull a large Airstream.

You be the judge...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nesting Falcon.jpeg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	394443  
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2021, 03:51 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Isn't that a nesting Falcon?
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:51 AM   #76
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
Isn't that a nesting Falcon?
Hi

Do nesting Falcon's have a higher payload capacity?

Bob
Old 04-30-2021, 07:37 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Feeding the Big Baby....

There are times when you just want to lay back and.... aaaaahhhhh.

Home on the Range, again. Howdy Wyoming.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0012.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	394558  
Old 04-30-2021, 10:27 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Doesn't look stone-aged to me. Pretty comfy way to enjoy a beer ... another good reason to have an Airstream.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:26 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Thanks for these threads Ray. I’m really enjoying them even though I’m not an avid boondocker myself. This is what Airstreaming and these forums should be about. Sharing knowledge and experiences. Your wit and humor certainly bring a a unique element to it as well. It’s a welcome change to a lot of the negativity that you see on here these days.

God speed and Safe travels to you and Nancy on your upcoming trip!
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:16 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2021 Tough? Fuel Prices in 5-13-2008: Nevada

When any of us purchase a Tow Vehicle and an Airstream... Fuel is a concern, but does not take over your wanting to travel.

This photo is Tonopah, Nevada.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0014.jpg
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	394573