Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
TDA
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
Solar Newbie Question

We will probably end up with a new FC 25FB in the next year or two. Once we have it, I would like to use a portable solar panel (through the factory Zamp connection on the tongue) just to top off or float the coach batteries while boondocking, The dealer says that the Zamp connection is wired directly to the coach batteries. Without any kind of controller, I assume you just use the stock information panel in the trailer (batt/fresh/grey/black monitor) to watch the battery voltage? What protects the coach batteries from overcharge? I would love to use this method rather than invest in a rooftop solar installation. We are 20+ year veteran shoulder-season campers that are used to boondocking, are pretty good at making our battery charge last for multiple days without solar, and we do not normally camp in sunny, hot conditions (Pacific NW state and National Park camping, mostly). I currently use a Honda 1000w gen for charge-up after 3-4 days in the backcountry, if necessary. In other words, given our current camping style, a more extensive solar installation on the new trailer would probably be a waste for us, if the portable would work as described above!
TDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
If the Zamp connector really is going to the battery directly, you have two options:

1. Get a suitcase panel that has a controller on it. You can typically order the portable panels either way.

2. Modify the wiring so it goes to a solar controller instead, and then the solar controller output goes to the battery.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
You will find that the portable systems made by Zamp and others include controllers, which is why the connector ties directly to the batteries.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #4
TDA
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
You will find that the portable systems made by Zamp and others include controllers, which is why the connector ties directly to the batteries.

Very good- thanks for the info!
TDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Having just ripped into one of these gizmos - indeed the Zamp adapter is nothing more than two wires to the battery. You could do the same basic thing by clamping onto the battery posts.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDA View Post
We will probably end up with a new FC 25FB in the next year or two. Once we have it, I would like to use a portable solar panel (through the factory Zamp connection on the tongue) just to top off or float the coach batteries while boondocking, The dealer says that the Zamp connection is wired directly to the coach batteries. Without any kind of controller, I assume you just use the stock information panel in the trailer (batt/fresh/grey/black monitor) to watch the battery voltage? What protects the coach batteries from overcharge? I would love to use this method rather than invest in a rooftop solar installation. We are 20+ year veteran shoulder-season campers that are used to boondocking, are pretty good at making our battery charge last for multiple days without solar, and we do not normally camp in sunny, hot conditions (Pacific NW state and National Park camping, mostly). I currently use a Honda 1000w gen for charge-up after 3-4 days in the backcountry, if necessary. In other words, given our current camping style, a more extensive solar installation on the new trailer would probably be a waste for us, if the portable would work as described above!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0732.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	314271

I recently purchased the 100 watt portable solar package from Harbor Freight which included a controller. Downside was there really was no way to monitor what it was doing to the batteries.

I picked up a cheap meter which came with a 100 amp shunt and wired it all into a portable case which just happens to fit between the propane tank cover and the front of my 25 RB on top of the battery compartment.

I added the plug for the Zamp connector and just plug the panels in.... quick and easy. Works well to keep the system topped off. On a sunny day, the system gives me about 75 watts and charges with about 6 amps.
jrenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I have used the GoPower 80W for past 5 years, with 3 different AS's. Works great and I like you can move it around...even to a "new" AS! You can hook directly to the batteries with the clip-on's, or it also comes with a cable hook up including a quick disconnect to the batteries. I just tuck it inside the propane cover when traveling...works great overall. I use a 6' cable tie with lock to secure when we are out and about during our camping.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote