Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Orange City , Florida
SOLAR and Lithium with the Caravel

I have two questions regarding the 16ft Caravel:

1) after our AGM batteries go bad we would like to replace them with Lithium. Does the charger/controller that comes with the Caravel (we have the solar package) have a setting for Lithium batteries? I have heard if we upgrade to lithium it needs a specific charge with a setting change on the controller for lithium.

Also has anyone put the lithium batteries where the AGMs currently are on the outside of the vehicle (in the box)? If so how do they stay warm to charge in cold climate?

2) Ive now heard varying answers to this but if we get a suitcase external solar panel and plug into the pre-wired outlet will it work WITH our already installed 90 watt panel or will it cancel it out? Ive heard both answers to this unfortunately. Obviously if I purchase 100 w suitcase I would hope it then gives 90+100= 190 vs 100 or 90.

Thanks!
Srwpnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:07 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Oakland , California
We have two lithium batteries in lieu of stock placed in the outside battery box of our 16 ft 2020 Caravel. No charging issues but have only camped in 40 to 45 degree weather at the lowest.
Caravel16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:52 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srwpnh View Post

1) after our AGM batteries go bad we would like to replace them with Lithium. Does the charger/controller that comes with the Caravel (we have the solar package) have a setting for Lithium batteries? I have heard if we upgrade to lithium it needs a specific charge with a setting change on the controller for lithium.

Also has anyone put the lithium batteries where the AGMs currently are on the outside of the vehicle (in the box)? If so how do they stay warm to charge in cold climate?

2) Ive now heard varying answers to this but if we get a suitcase external solar panel and plug into the pre-wired outlet will it work WITH our already installed 90 watt panel or will it cancel it out? Ive heard both answers to this unfortunately. Obviously if I purchase 100 w suitcase I would hope it then gives 90+100= 190 vs 100 or 90.

Thanks!

Yes, the external/portable solar will work with your roof mounted solar as long as it has its own controller. If you get just a panel, it will not work with the plug. I have the Zamp 140w portable panel, works great with my 170w on the roof.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:14 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Fullerton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravel16 View Post
We have two lithium batteries in lieu of stock placed in the outside battery box of our 16 ft 2020 Caravel. No charging issues but have only camped in 40 to 45 degree weather at the lowest.

Did you need to do any modification to the external box? I'm about to order the Battle Born GC2 for our 2021 Caravel 16, and it looks like its a really tight fit. I'll modify the box if necessary, but would like to know ahead of time.

- Bob
NeahBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Fullerton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srwpnh View Post

Thanks!

We too have the Caravel 16rb with the solar options. We are about to put in lithium. We purchased additional Zamp Osidian 90w panels for the roof (45w x 2, installing tomorrow) as well as the Obsidian 200w portables (100w x 2). I spoke with my Airstream dealer just yesterday to get some answers clarified about the "Solar Plus" (lithium upgrade). I didn't learn anything I didn't already know, except confirming how high dealer costs are, VERY high for what you get, even after you factor in their labor costs. $3,800 to install 2 lithium batteries and swap out the power converter ($2,300 in components, no wiring changes).

To answer your questions:
1a) The solar Charge Controller does not need to be upgraded, but the Power Converter does. The Victron 150/35 Charge Controller will handle the lithium batteries (it's under the dinette bench, next to the fresh water tank). HOWEVER, the WYCO (brand name) Power Converter DOES need to be upgraded in order to handle lithium's higher voltage. The new unit is WYCO 8950L2 MBA (not be confused with the 9850L2). This power converter is the bottom part of the breaker panel unit under the bed. I purchased from United RV for $170. Best price I could find that was in stock (hard to find item right now). Price ranged from $160 to $240 (dealer said $500). It is a DIY install.

1b) The Battle Born GC2 (BBGC2) is the lithium battery model Airstream installs in the box for the 16rb (according to their website). In measuring the box, I'm confident they will fit with a little room to spare getting them in. Once in the box, they'll have a little more room. This is the only lithium battery model of any manufacturer I can find that will fit into the 16rb battery box. I will not be doing any wiring modifications at this time (no shunt, no disconnect switch, etc). Any modification or additions will have to be outside the battery box, and space is extremely limited inside the trailer. I will order my batteries next week ($1,050 ea), and install the week after that (after our 2nd trip). I live in Southern California where freezing temps are rare for us, BUT, these BB batts have a battery management system (BMS) and internal warmers. Info on keeping lithiums healthy is easy to obtain on almost all makes and models.

2). The roof panels and portable panels (suitcase) WILL both work at the same time, which I confirmed myself after wondering the same thing. Your suitcase MUST have it's own Charge Controller. The auxilary solar plug inside the tongue next to the battery box is wired directly to the batteries, not to the Victron 150/35 Charge Controller like the roof panels. So, the good news, all of your panels will charge your batteries at the same time (in your case 90+100=190, or whatever each panel actually generates depending on angle of the sun to panel). The most I've seen my 90w roof panel generate so far is 65w, but summer is coming. My two new 100w portable panels generate more because I can point them directly towards the sun (and are each slightly larger of course). I purchased these two larger panels to help on those days when the weather or trees reduce the output of my system on our trip(s) to the north west. Hopefully the 180w on the roof will keep the frig running without having to pull out the portables while we still have the AGMs for our trip next week. Either way, we won't have to worry with the beautiful weather we'll have. We got through 2 days of dry camping in beautiful sunny weather with our current 90w roof panel and AGMs, but we reduced all other electrical use dramatically to make sure the frig had power. We actually had plenty of power as it turned out, and a generator just to be case.

It hasn't been easy getting to this point, I've learned a lot these last couple of months. Air Forums has been the best sources of info, even though rarely anything specific towards the 2021 Caravel 16rb. The install of the Power Converter, solar panels on the roof, and the BB batts are all DIY installs, if you follow the directions, hint hint. If you're comfortable with tools, even better.

Hope this helps.

- Bob
NeahBay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel