Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
SKUNKED Dogs while Boondocking

Nothing like YOUR Dog getting skunked.

A skunk slumbers through and looks like a tom cat that has been declawed. A Dog will not mess with a cat... but a bigger 'black and white 'cat'... something to sniff out. ... whamo... the big surprise. For all.

Your Dog WILL come running towards the trailer and into the trailer if the door was opened, your not knowing your Dog has been Skunked. You will know... soon.

Too late. You, your dog and your trailer has been skunked. Your dog will run those shoulders into the floor map, your bed spread... the couch... your legs.

You are skunked. Your dog is skunked. The trailer is skunked... The skunk... just slumbers and ignores all of the excitement.

Of course... this has never, ever...happened to Nancy or I. We learned from, of course, some hapless soul that was skunked... long forgotten.

Hydrogen pyroxide, Vinegar are a good starter.
Soap and water following a good washing with the above.

Your dog, as calm as he use to be... is shaking water over you, wants to run away from this cleaning process... far away. Maybe towards the skunk to be safe, but not close to you. So have a leash on Fido. You will need it.

You will toss the towels away.

My Dad in western Montana threw his clothes away after our dog was Skunked. He kept his underwear and socks, though. I believe he burned them in the barrel used to burn trash when you live in a Cabin in the back country. Took care of it for good.

Your dog will be very clean.

Immediately, if on a Ranch with cattle running loose... the first Cow Pattie, light green, warm to the touch... will be rolled upon. Creating a second attempt to clean and purify man's best friend.... of course, our Blue Heelers, never had been skunked... or rolled into Cow Patties ever.

A 'green' Blue Heeler can confuse young and old alike.

What was YOUR cure of this dramatic situation?

A porcupine is a simple method of restraint and plucking, sometimes, as we know.

Skunked... while camping... BE prepared. This was not taught at the College Level to Geologists. Skunked 101.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I recall that tomato juice was a old fashioned treatment for skunk.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
More importantly, how to de-skunk your spouse!

Dave came in the other night, after Fall cleanup into the dark, and....OMG! Dave what did you get into??!!! His response, I thought I smelled something....wasn't sure what....

What to do with his wallet, his leather boots, belt, etc? He got blasted on his left side. Ugh! All left outside for now with the odor fading. Wonder if I should do the same with the husband?

Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Santa Cruz , peterputt
Best bet is hydrogen peroxide with baking soda and a dash of dawn. Actually works! I know...
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Happened to us in a small campground in KS. We were the only rig there and I saw it all happen. It was dusk, our dog was wondering not too far from the rig and I too thought it was just a cat.....our friendly Wrigley went up for a sniff and whammo! He was skunked. The skunk ran off, I grabbed Wrigleys collar and got him under a water spigot immediately...hollered to my wife to bring the Dawn dish soap. We got him washed quickly and thoroughly, low and behold, he did not stink! I couldn’t believe it. Just another application for the miracle of a Dawn dish soap. Threw the towel away in a barrel. He honestly had no skunk smell at all. We were days away from home and no trace of the skunking during the rest of the trip.
I’m not sure if it was because we got to it so quick, the Dawn dish soap, or the combination of the two but it worked. The smell before washing him was nauseating at best. We will never forget it though. Don’t know what we would have done with Wrigley if it hadn’t worked.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Our Boxer was hit twice; once at our place in MT and here in Austin couple years later. Tomato juice did a much better job, and we did try them all! Worst of it is, the "smell" is so strong when it first happens, you don't realize it will "infect" everything in your home for a time...I was leaving for a trip the next morning after our dog got hit in Austin; had my suitcase open with my cloths and suits inside. When I arrived at my hotel next night, my boss came over to get me for dinner and said "what the hell is that smell"! I of course, could not smell it since I had been living with it the last 24hours...but how embarrassing...the meeting with clients next day was also very embarrassing. Funny now, but not then!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
There are two types of dogs. Some dogs get hit by a skunk and don't let it happen again. The other kind, well, they make the same mistake repeatedly.

It's pretty remarkable how quickly the smell dissipates, so leave stuff that got hit or rubbed off on for cleaning the next day.

For both the dog and stuff that's been hit, the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, dish soap solution actually works. No need to look farther on that one.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
OK... I have come out of Skunked Witness Protection.

Gypsydad may agree that not all Skunks skunk the same. I think the Western Skunk has a more powerful strength than those in the Ozarks.

When someone calls you a 'Dirty ole Skunk'... you may ask "Western or Ozarkian"?
Old 11-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road

Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road (1972) by Loudon Wainwright

Crossin' the highway late last night
He shoulda looked left and he shoulda looked right
He didn't see the station wagon car
The skunk got squashed and there you are
You got your
Dead skunk in the middle of the road
Stinkin' to high heaven
Take a whiff on me, that ain't no rose
Roll up yer window and hold your nose
You don't have to look and you don't have to see
'Cause you can feel it in your olfactory
You got your
And it's stinkin' to high heaven
Yeah you got your dead cat and you got your dead dog
On a moonlight night you got your dead toad frog
Got your dead rabbit and your dead raccoon
The blood and the guts they're gonna make you swoon
You got your
Dead skunk in the middle
Stinkin' to high heaven
C'mon stink
You got it
It's dead, it's in the middle
Dead skunk in the middle
Stinkin' to high heaven
All over the road, technicolor man
Oh, you got pollution
It's dead, it's in the middle
And it's stinkin' to high, high heaven
Old 11-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Google the song... your eyes will tear up and you may become a better driver.

YouTube has the song and lyrics. It also includes, of course a "Dead Skunks and other Critters' in the middle of the road. 1,240,406 views. One is mine!

Worth it if you day needs a 'picker upper'!
Old 11-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Okc , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Best bet is hydrogen peroxide with baking soda and a dash of dawn. Actually works! I know...
What Peter says works. Rub some of the baking soda in first and then the H202 and soda mixed with Dawn.
Not tomato juice, save that for the bloody mary’s
LeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Tomato juice affects your olfactory sense and MASKS the smell making you think the smell is gone...it isn't. Tomato juice does not get rid of the smell.

https://scienceline.org/2006/07/ask-cosier-skunk/

https://www.villageveterinary.com/de-skunking/

https://animals.howstuffworks.com/ma...ato-juice1.htm

There are also a number of commercial skunk odor nuetralizers on the market:

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Mirac.../dp/B000NJJKCM
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeJ View Post
What Peter says works. Rub some of the baking soda in first and then the H202 and soda mixed with Dawn.
Not tomato juice, save that for the bloody mary’s
I stand corrected by my wife; it was your mixture above that worked; not the tomato juice, as I thought... Oxiclean is supposed to also work as it has Peroxide in it, but words of caution about consumption by the pet if you use Oxiclean. Also, be careful not to get any of these mixtures in yours or your pets eyes, what ever you use.

Peroxide, Dawn, baking soda recipe from the AKC website.
The Best Solution
  • ¼ cup of baking soda
  • 1-2 teaspoons of mild dishwashing detergent like Ivory Snow
  • 1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution
  • Mix in a bucket and use immediately
  • Work the foaming mixture well into the coat
  • Leave on for five minutes
  • Rinse with warm water
  • Follow with dog shampoo if desired
The quicker you can get the dog in the tub the better the result since the oil hasn’t saturated into the hair yet.
Use Caution
Be careful around the dog’s eyes as this is a potent formula. Don’t use a higher than 3% hydrogen peroxide solution as it may burn. Mix it fresh, use it and discard it. If you store this mixture in a closed container it will explode. The hydrogen peroxide may bleach the coat (think bleached blond) so be careful on those black dogs. The less time the solution stays on the less likely for bleaching. But ultimately the choice is yours – a bleached beauty or a wrinkled nose.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Google the song... your eyes will tear up and you may become a better driver.

YouTube has the song and lyrics. It also includes, of course a "Dead Skunks and other Critters' in the middle of the road. 1,240,406 views. One is mine!

Worth it if you day needs a 'picker upper'!
Well Ray, those are word to live by, for sure! My eyes teared up and for a moment, I thought I smelled skunk odor...not sure if it was Ozarkian or Western...
Old 11-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You haven't lived until the dog grabs the skunk and spins it in a full circle around the area ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #16
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post

Yup & Yes it does work!

Use the cheap big size cans of bargain basement no-name-brand from Walmart, Sam's, Costco, Dollar, etc., bathe in the tub or outside in a plastic tub/kiddy pool/etc. depending on size of dog, let it soak on them 5-10 minutes, rinse, sniff test & see if another round is needed, if not then shampoo, re-rinse, dry .... then keep the dang dog inside ot tied up.

My Grandmother was a professional dog breeder/handler, I worked with her & another pro handler through grade, middle & high school, & college, & we had to do it many times.

Not sure how well the hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, baking soda, dawn, etc. methods work, nor how cost effective they are. Bulk no-name tomato juice was usually cheap (maybe not as much now??), & the thicker juice will cling on the dog's skin & fur well.

That's my 2 cents!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Armadillo's are... Turtles??? Nahhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMcD View Post
Tomato juice affects your olfactory sense and MASKS the smell making you think the smell is gone...it isn't. Tomato juice does not get rid of the smell.

https://scienceline.org/2006/07/ask-cosier-skunk/

https://www.villageveterinary.com/de-skunking/

https://animals.howstuffworks.com/ma...ato-juice1.htm

There are also a number of commercial skunk odor nuetralizers on the market:

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Mirac.../dp/B000NJJKCM

Alan! Obviously holding a Ph and D in Skunking. Thank You.

Our older male Blue Heeler, Dingo likes to sniff critters before deciding what one may be. Not face to face, either.

He came running to us within our fenced yard appearing he had... Rabies. Foaming from the mouth and obviously not a Happy Heeler.

He had a direct hit into his mouth sniffing the new critter. He survived. Must have been a Southern Skunk as he smelled as he always does... a Dog. Somehow a direct hit in the mouth.

In Colorado... you can smell a Skunk coming through the neighborhood. By this time our Heelers have no confusion what is coming. They now know their options are neither pleasant or fun.

My Mother in Law is an Up State New Yorker. She would come visit us in Kansas City. We took her to Central Arkansas to dig quartz crystals, north of Hot Springs. An Armadillo was squashed in the road. She said it was a 'turtle'.

She was a retired Elementary School Teacher. I was not about to argue with her saying an Armadillo is NOT a Turtle, but a mammal. A Son in Law may moan and groan about Boondocking with Newbies... but there are times to keep that big mouth... shut.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
Skunk Funk

Natures Miracle make a great product. Works well. Ask me how I know...

I have a dog that doesn’t learn. I think he’s always in revenge mode. It doesn’t work out too good for him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03D9886D-96CB-42CE-B63C-D46E3C6EE25C.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	356767  
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylorsan View Post
Natures Miracle make a great product. Works well. Ask me how I know...

I have a dog that doesn’t learn. I think he’s always in revenge mode. It doesn’t work out too good for him.
That works! And it takes little space stored in the trailer for those just in case situations!

Have used the tomato juice and hydrogen peroxide recipe in the past and as others suggest it does no work all that well and it takes gallons of juice to achieve a somewhat acceptable result. Have also used the baking sofa/Dawn recipe with somewhat better results than the juice but found Nature’s Miracle works the best.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Rock Hill , South Carolina
Way back when Haley's Comet was making it's rounds, a group of us went backpacking in NC to get in real darkness. It rained the entire hike in and we were sure we'd never see the comet because of the cloud cover. We set an alarm clock (no cell phones, no alarms on watches) and woke to cold cloudless sky and made the hike up, in the dark to rocky peak. We saw the comet, had a toast to our good fortune and headed back down to our campsite. All was good until my girl, Yffum (Muffy backwards) got skunked. We woke to that, she was outside the tent and there was snow on the ground. Needless to day, Yffum was relegated to the back of the cap covered truck on the way home. It took weeks for the smell to go away and she was so sad because no one wanted to touch her. And for months, every time she got wet, the smell came back. Ugh. GOOD LUCK!
rastapoodle is offline   Reply With Quote