Old 06-21-2020, 07:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Simple Shower

I had never seen nor heard of this item before this morning, but it is a very simple solution to the endless question of “how best to shower using very little water”.

https://www.simple-shower.com/produc...-simple-shower

This item fits a 1 or 2 liter bottle of water, also the Platypus collapsibles, and currently only about $14, including s&h.

My favorite way of minimalist showering when traveling is to use a large, premoistened washcloth...like those marketed for bedridden individuals...squirted with just a little of my favorite body wash.

Wash, discard the washcloth, rinse.

I would bet that 1 liter of water would provide an adequate and refreshing rinse, and you could set it outside in the sun to warm.

If very remote and feeling especially daring, strip down under a hospitable tree and have at it.

Or, in your own shower, with or without standing in a small basin to catch rinse water that can then be disposed of under a nearby welcoming bush or tree.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0EB9A2BE-2AB8-413B-8C09-F3EE48457C44.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	370817   Click image for larger version

Name:	EDF5E174-65B8-4EC8-9ACA-2972DDD19806.png
Views:	18
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	370818  

Old 06-21-2020, 07:10 AM   #2

We just called this “showering” when I was deployed to Afghanistan. That said, I like to create some separation between war and boondocking experiences.

Would much rather use cheap water in a gravity shower setup. We built something similar to the video below and use it exclusively for cleaning off people and dogs without tapping the fresh water tank.

https://youtu.be/NodTvFcK0Mc

uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Once when delivering a boat from Belize, we rationed our showers. We simply used a 2 lt. soda bottle with a few holes punched in the cap. Sat in the head and was amazed at how thorough one could be with 2 lt. of water.
Later, on my own boat, we kept the "Solar Shower". Put it in the Sun and I was surprised at how hot the water really got.
However, that might be a bit over the social mores of a campground.
Lastly, I read how world sailors used to shower in the rain. So I did. Got all lathered up and the rain stopped.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
When you use a basin to catch grey water and then dump it outside isn’t that just away around dumping the grey tank on the ground.
I’m not looking to fault anyone. The thought just occurred to me a few times when I read about people doing this. Lily&me”s post is referencing shower water which to me seems harmless. I have seen some do this with dish water. Would a campground frown upon this?
Shiny16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have read about punching holes in 2 liter bottles for shower purposes, but I liked the shower nozzle on this and it’s very inexpensive.

I would not dump shower water or dishwater on the ground in a private campground, nor in a public use area where it is prohibited...like where there are bears.

But, unless it is prohibited I will wash my hair outside with a solar shower, and dump a little water under a bush.

Tent campers do this all the time.

I do think that is different than unloading gallons of a grey tank onto the ground, but there are differing opinions on this.

Maggie