Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2020, 09:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I have made that trip on my bicycle a couple times. I think I might be slower pulling my AS. There are some fun spots without any guardrail and the painted marker line is falling off the cliff. You are so right, that is a long way down!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:19 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Centennial , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Highly recommend Cayton NF Campground on Lizard Head Pass. Eighteen sites offer electric hookups. Each site is equipped with a picnic table and campfire ring. Vault toilets, drinking water and a dump station are provided.

The campground is situated near the banks of the Dolores River, in a grassy meadow surrounded by fir and aspen trees. At an elevation of 9,400 feet, campers should expect cool evenings.
Thank you! I'll keep that in mind on my next trip down that way!
daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Ouray, Colorado 9-25-2011

Found a 'vintage' Ouray photograph while towing our 2006 23 foot Safari.

From memory... Ouray has not changed, but my memory has.

The third photo was the camping area to the South on 9-25-2011. That was described earlier on this Thread. You will note... we were the ONLY people and Blue Heeler there. So... if you find Summer busy... try September. Toss the Heelers into the small creek aka river and say Ahhhhh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2470.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	375993   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2474.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	375994  

Name:	DSCN2476.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	375995  
Old 08-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
We just white-knuckled the Million Dollar Highway last weekend.
Earlier in the day I rented a Jeep and did the Alpine Loop and Cinnamon Pass and Engineer Pass. As a flatlander with little off-roading experience, this was fun and challenging and nerve-racking. So why do we do these things to ourselves? Quite simply, the scenery. You can't see anything like these places unless you get off road and trust the Jeep will know how to keep the rubber side down--even when 1 or 2 wheels are in the air and it's 1000 feet straight down the side. 8 hours (and a change of underwear) later, we were safely back towing the Airstream.

After all the Jeeping, Highway 550 (with that immaculately-maintained tarmac paving!) was a breeze. If you're anywhere near Durango, this is a must-do.
There's a trail over Imogene Pass (11,114') that I've attempted numerous times on a dual sport motorcycle. I've chickened out every time.
My heart gets pounding and I can see how people die on these "roads". This road was carved in the 1880's for mules to haul provisions to the mines. The road runs between Ouray and Telluride. It's 17 miles. The highway around the mountain is 65 miles. I've tried it from both ends. I can't do it. I finally took a jeep tour over Imogene pass and it was wonderful, although there's a few "Oh, no" moments there too. Like when two jeeps meet and your tires are 6" from the edge and a 400' drop off.
This is the 'good' part.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Imogene.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	571.5 KB
ID:	376004  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
There's a trail over Imogene Pass (11,114') that I've attempted numerous times on a dual sport motorcycle. I've chickened out every time.
My heart gets pounding and I can see how people die on these "roads". This road was carved in the 1880's for mules to haul provisions to the mines. The road runs between Ouray and Telluride. It's 17 miles. The highway around the mountain is 65 miles. I've tried it from both ends. I can't do it. I finally took a jeep tour over Imogene pass and it was wonderful, although there's a few "Oh, no" moments there too. Like when two jeeps meet and your tires are 6" from the edge and a 400' drop off.
This is the 'good' part.
If you drive the Jeep trails like I do (i.e. s-l-o-w-l-y), the 65-mile roundabout will take far less time than the 17 miles of OMGs.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:12 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Florence , Alabama
Drove through there about 6 weeks ago and had a huge mountain lion leap out of the trees on the passenger side and run across the road near the top of one of the passes south of Ouray. No chance for a picture (or braking!). It was beautiful!
losfeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Back in 1967, when I was a lot younger and less experienced than I am now, I drove it in the DARK! All I saw was my headlights lighting up waterfalls, then empty space, then cliff faces, then.... We made it safely to Durango at about 2:00 a.m. My wife wouldn't speak to me for days.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin View Post
Back in 1967, when I was a lot younger and less experienced than I am now, I drove it in the DARK! All I saw was my headlights lighting up waterfalls, then empty space, then cliff faces, then.... We made it safely to Durango at about 2:00 a.m. My wife wouldn't speak to me for days.

Randy
Have her follow the map and navigate while you drive. It works for me. Nancy knows where we ARE on the map... and I make up how to get somewhere else that is NOT. It is a diversion that works.

I do wear Sun Glasses driving the 550. Not the same, is it?

That highway we have not tried at night... and I think we will pass the opportunity if it ever presents itself. Good story.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:36 PM   #29
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Ouray hot springs

Definitely take a day to soak in the hot springs in Ouray, don't know what minerals are in the water, but it sure revitalized me.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Definitely take a day to soak in the hot springs in Ouray, don't know what minerals are in the water, but it sure revitalized me.
Magic of the Internet:

This year-round hot springs, most noteworthy, has been operating since 1927. It is certainly large, holding 750,000 gallons of sulfur-free mineral water. Similarly, other great minerals also include iron, manganese, zinc, fluoride, and potassium.

Also try Saratoga, Wyoming hot spring. It is HOT in the Winter and hotter in the Summer. Right in town, as well and the last time we drove through this Summer... we did not recognize where it was and headed up the headwaters of the North Platte...
Old 08-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
One year, my riding buddy came down while I was in the Ouray area. We motorcycled everywhere, and he was new to the area. So we went to Durango via Wolf Creek pass through Lake City and on to Durango. We did the train loop (OMG! Fantastic!) then came back to the RV via the Million Dollar Highway. Unfortunately everything takes longer and we rode in the dark. When we arrived back at the RV his first words were "What the H**L did we just do?" "I want to see it in the daylight." That led to many trips between Ouray and Silverton on the bikes. Awesome!
Old 08-16-2020, 06:19 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Yahoo

did it in a 40' class a. was more difficult on the wife looking over the edge, I was fine. If a semi can do you, so can I. Beautiful area, loved both Silverton and Ouray
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_4964.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	376061   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4976.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	376062  

Name:	DSC_4985.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	376063   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5066.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	376064  

Old 08-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Birmingham , Alabama
My wife and I drove Ouray to Durango with our ‘59 Globetrotter 18. It is the most incredible short drives we have ever done. Well worth doing at least once. That was our first time but we will likely do it again heading north rather than south.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick tracy View Post
did it in a 40' class a. was more difficult on the wife looking over the edge, I was fine. If a semi can do you, so can I. Beautiful area, loved both Silverton and Ouray
I will follow you anywhere!

Those with no stomach for vertical drops of a thousand feet, more or less... can do an option.

If you drive past Ouray and South to Durango, along the 550, you will be driving on the 'inside lane'. Probably a compromise if anyone traveling with you may become nervous with Attitude Sickness. You just need to watch oncoming traffic moving into your lane on the curves.

If you drive to Ouray from Durango, from the South, the passenger is hanging over the guard rails and will be fixated on the steep vertical drop into the canyon.

You choose. We do both ways so both driver and passenger get some experience. Some stop at some of the pullouts scattered for photo opportunities to strengthen the knees, as they are a bit wobbly if this is your first opportunity.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
... photo opportunities to strengthen the knees, as they are a bit wobbly if this is your first opportunity.
Knees are wobbly for the first opportunity...and the 2nd and the 3rd and the 4th and...I never get used to that road.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Thanks for this thread Ray.

I was on my way to Telluride to go skiing with my oldest son (5 years ago). I was driving my new VW Golf, 2wd, and I was in heaven. My youngest son is very familiar with Colorado and so he sent my on the scenic route heading north on 550 from Durango to Ouray. The only problem is that it was in the middle of a snowstorm! Traffic was minimal as I only saw two cars and two snow plows. I stopped to take a photo and the snow plow driver told me I shouldn’t stop. I told him that I was fine as I wouldn’t get stuck as I was heading downhill. He told me that I didn’t understand. I shouldn’t stop because I WAS IN AN AVALANCHE ZONE. I sheepishly drove on and made it to Ouray and then to Telluride fine. It was a huge snowstorm! I went on the internet the next day to find out more about the road that I had just driven in a snowstorm and found out that it had been closed down the previous evening by an avalanche about an hour or so after I had driven it. Yikes!

I look forward to driving 550 in the summer with our Airstream in tow and camping at some of the wonderful sites along this road.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
I’ve driven that route a few times lately. It’s “exciting” towing the 30’er.

Took the Ram over Ophir pass last week while we were staying in Ouray too. You want some tight road...

Full-timing it in a 2020 International Serenity 30RB!
https://AdventureToaster.com
TV: 2020 Ram 2500 Limited CCSB Hemi
AdvToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:16 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I will follow you anywhere!

Those with no stomach for vertical drops of a thousand feet, more or less... can do an option.

If you drive past Ouray and South to Durango, along the 550, you will be driving on the 'inside lane'. Probably a compromise if anyone traveling with you may become nervous with Attitude Sickness. You just need to watch oncoming traffic moving into your lane on the curves.

If you drive to Ouray from Durango, from the South, the passenger is hanging over the guard rails and will be fixated on the steep vertical drop into the canyon.

You choose. We do both ways so both driver and passenger get some experience. Some stop at some of the pullouts scattered for photo opportunities to strengthen the knees, as they are a bit wobbly if this is your first opportunity.
Ray,
If you head south from Ouray the canyon will be on the right so you would be on the outside lane, correct?
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:34 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Another Scary One

I was riding my Dirt bike between Crested Butte and Marble along Crystal River Rd (HWY 3 / 317) and there were some challenging spots for me. When we came up on a guy pulling a teardrop trailer with a full 8' bed Ram 2500. He had the road blocked in both directions and if it wasn't for all the bike riders and people driving rock crawlers, he could very well still be there. He said he had done it before with a shorter wheel base truck and without the camper, so he thought he would give it a go. It was definitely a NO GO! But I do admire his willingness to give it try. For all of us involved in helping him out by moving boulders and placing boulders in the perfect spot for him, added to the fun of our adventure too. I just hope no one was in a hurry that day.
Here is a picture after the trailer was pulled out of the way by another Land Cruiser but the truck is still stuck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Road to Marbel.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	376573  
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:21 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvToaster View Post
Took the Ram over Ophir pass last week while we were staying in Ouray too. You want some tight road...
Ophir was on my list for the dual sport KLR. Never did go. Did you know that Nikola Tesla almost burned Ophir to the ground while developing his DC powered street lights?
Ophir Pass with snow. Nope, nope, nope.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79b538db907284b34ca6d181a3446d6e.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	376581