Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 06:06 AM   #101
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Secguru, you are so right. merry christmas to all. zz
Old 12-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #102
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
need a new forum, call it down on the corner
Old 12-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
So True

Thank's Secguru.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #104
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Here's my response to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
You know I was hesitant to post in this thread fearing the responses I would get. This is exactly the type of response I was concerned about.

Translation: I was afraid someone would counter respond with a true and factual statement and you did, my links to bogus info might not convience you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW yes they do publish information about crimes here. The reason you don't hear about it much is because they don't occur as often. Your comments are just inane. We as a country and myself as an individual are concerned about violence and crime. The point is it is all too easy to squeeze the trigger and kill someone in a moment of anger. If you remove the ready access to guns then you remove the ability for this situation to occur.

Translation: Our government and liberal press go to great lenghts trying to prove that their multi million dollar gun registration and confiscation scheme works. If homeowners would just quit trying to defend themselves and be a willing victim, then there would be fewer people getting killed after awhile.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't want to argue your constitution. However the statistics tell a different story regarding the relationship between gun control and crime.
Now don't pull out your gun and start shooting at me just because we have a difference of opinion. There was no need for your sarcastic
and hostile response. I for one am glad you live where you do. Please don't post a response I do not wish to hear your response. Thank you for your opinion and enjoy your life

Translation: Look, your supposed to just believe what I tell you. I don't like your sarcastic response to me, only I am allowed to be sarcastic. I am glad you do not live where I do in Canada because your kind is unacceptable. Please don't waste your time responding to me because my mind is already made up and I don't want to be confused with facts. Keep your opinion to yourself ands kiss off.
My respose, even though wasagachris doesn't want to hear it: It is evident time and again all through out history that gun registration schemes lead to gun confiscation and that everytime you limit law abiding citizens the ability to defend themselves, crime rates increase.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:58 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

My weapon of choice would be an empty plastic wrap tube, that cardboard is especially stout and I could easily and without remorse bludgeon someone until they released me and I could make an exit. It would also fend off aggressive wildlife and not require a permit. But more than likely I would not be carrying my weapon at the opportune time and I would leave off any intrusion by my startled hi-jump and shriek...which always tends to be disarming as it leaves them rolling in the aisles with laughter.

photography
Old 12-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #106
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
The best part of this thread is everyone is thinking about what they would do!

What I like about this thread is it has many people who would not carry a "G" thinking about what they would do in the dark when they hear that bang on the trailer door or window.

This is priceless since preparation is the key to survival and if this thread gets just one (1) person to pre-plan... that they are doing to do x,y, and z. then it has been a great success.

Everyone's level of comfort and training with "G's" is different and one of the best weapons you have is between your ears. I have learned a lot reading everyone posts and there are many things I would never of thought of and others I would give careful consideration to depending on the situation and location that I was in.

Happy Holidays and thanks for the great thread!

Safe travels,

Lin.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Old 12-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #107
3 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Salem , Massachusetts
wow... I've learned so much from this thread... seriously... some laughter too... I hope nobody had to shoot anybody this weekend & that peace finds it's way into your hitch
Old 12-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #108
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by howco View Post
Nuvite F
might want to read Luke 22:35-38, your Messiah talking....
Certainly. But also read Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 .
Old 12-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #109
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Here is one of EBay's daily deals.

IR Wireless Motion Sensor Detector Alarm W/ 2 Remotes - eBay (item 390273952629 end time Jan-20-11 18:47:46 PST)
Old 12-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #110
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Just a reminder -- If you are leaving home and heading for CANADA -- leave the guns at home, as you will not get through Customs with the hardware.
If they do find guns or ammunition, you rig will be torn apart at your expense with no recourse.
There is little need for a gun anytime, or few places you will be hasseled, especially once you leave the cities.
In this day of instant communication and video and camera, you should be OK.
Paying more attention to the road, and safety on the water and other toys, will pay more dividends.
Dave
I have some expertise in the area. It's not quite as cut and dry as "leave your guns at home." Many Americans come to Canada to hunt, and it's an economic boon to the communities that attract them. There are other legitimate reasons to bring a firearm to Canada as well.

Let's just say that the bigger issue is people who do not DECLARE their firearms at the border. That's where 98% of the problems start.

Here's a useful link for any Americans thinking of bringing their guns to Canada:

Visitors / Non-Residents

A little research first can save you a lot of headaches later. ;-)
Old 12-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
I know what I would do.

Motion detectors; fine, but what do you do once motion has been detected?

Comparing self defense to combat action in Vietnam, any other war related situation or the true spirit of the Second Amendment... not applicable.

Comparing State laws, local laws, conceal & carry to the Second Amendment? Do your homework.

Boondocking or otherwise...what's the difference?

Yes, research other threads on the gun (I refuse to use the "G" alternative) issue here at Air Forums, as most have been closed due to political correctness... IMHO.

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
Old 12-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
In an early thread I stated I bring mine when I boondock. That is only on my own property. I called the State Police in the state where I have property and asked about the laws. I was told that particular state honors Georgia's gun laws. The police also told me certain city's have their own gun laws and if you break them you go to jail. That goes for law inforcement individuals from other states who bring their service revolver with them .

If I use a state, national, or private park I don't worry about weapons. I feel very safe in those places.

Brian
Old 12-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Most states still have the Castle Law. My trailer is my Castle. If anyone comes through a locked door, trailer or house, I would fear for my life and would not fire a shot in the floor as some suggest or say stop. The only sound would be from a 357 magnum.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Old 12-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch View Post
Yes, research other threads on the gun (I refuse to use the "G" alternative) issue here at Air Forums, as most have been closed due to political correctness... IMHO.
If I may disagree. The threads wherein a fellow member asks a gun related question are usually closed because there are a couple of folks who strongly disagree with firearms and they post insulting type replies usually insinuating lack of brains or suggesting someone is using a gun to make up for another "shortage." Other members become offended and the thread goes downhill.

On other forums this might be called trolling but fortunately we don't do that here.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Garfunkle, my 40 kg. (90 lb.) deterrent...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC130012 comp.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	117996  

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
If I may disagree. The threads wherein a fellow member asks a gun related question are usually closed because there are a couple of folks who strongly disagree with firearms and they post insulting type replies usually insinuating lack of brains or suggesting someone is using a gun to make up for another "shortage." Other members become offended and the thread goes downhill.

On other forums this might be called trolling but fortunately we don't do that here.
Yes, I do agree, but I don't understand why those suffering from gunfobia(a term which may not actually exsist, but should, as long as we already have other sorts of "phobia" floating about) continue to post to such threads. In other words, why don't the anti-gun, anti-firearm, anti-Second Amendment folks start their own thread and post their thoughts there? I am not being negative here, but I would like to see the responses.

OH-OH, O.K., OOPS, I'VE SAID IT!

"We don't do that here." Who are "we?" Are you a moderator? I have seen some very rude and offensive threads kept open which have nothing to do with firearms, while firearm threads have been slam shut.

I hope this little exchange does not contribute to the closing of this thread. Now, back to the original subject please: Self defense - what is your weapon of choice?

Old 12-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Yes, I do agree, but I don't understand why those suffering from gunfobia(a term which may not actually exsist, but should, as long as we already have other sorts of "phobia" floating about) continue to post to such threads. In other words, why don't the anti-gun, anti-firearm, anti-Second Amendment folks start their own thread and post their thoughts there? I am not being negative here, but I would like to see the responses.

OH-OH, O.K., OOPS, I'VE SAID IT!

"We don't do that here." Who are "we?" Are you a moderator? I have seen some very rude and offensive threads kept open which have nothing to do with firearms, while firearm threads have been slam shut.

I hope this little exchange does not contribute to the closing of this thread. Now, back to the original subject please: Self defense - what is your weapon of choice?
I agree that if someone wanted to discuss how bad/undesirable guns are they should start a thread on that rather than expressing that in a thread where someone is asking for gun advice. Although I would not agree with that premise I would be very interested in hearing their views. In that thread.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
O.K., but I am not really interested in hearing their opposing views, as it is not pertinent to the discussion and only seems to contribute to the closing of the thread, which actually defeats the propose of the thread (which I fear we are doing here,) so I will restate; back to the original subject please: Self defense - what is your weapon of choice?

Old 12-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:

Self defense - what is your weapon of choice?
Common sense, good judgment and lack of paranoia.....

Regards,

Ken
Old 12-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #120
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
My bad

After reading all the post in this thread, I can see that my initial post were misguided. Henceforth, when camping I intend to clear all vegetation surrounding my camper out to a distance not less than 100 yards (clear field of fire). The outer perimeter will have canteena wire. Then comes the mine field. The inner ring will be defended by Gatling guns directed by dual sonar/heat seeking guided targeting systems. I am working on a system to electrify the outer skin of the camper ( I never should have fixed the polarity issue). After all, I finally realized that I should be guided by random stories and vague fears rather than statistically validated threats.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Closed Thread