Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
saniflush hoses dont fit?

I'm new to AS, I see we have a sewer flush input. However, the saniflush hoses by the dumps (some state park, rest area) can't fit in. Is there an adapter I'm missing?

Thanks! I'm in WA.
shockfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy..
Are you talking about the Black Tank flush?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
The black tank flush accepts a standard garden hose thread. I have yet to see a dump station on the interstate or at a state campground that has a threaded water hose.

When I am on the road I just dump the tanks and don't worry about flushing them. Once I return home I go to a local spot that provided a hose and I clean everything there.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yes.. need the 'garden hose' connection..

To 'solution' this, after I dump the Black tank, I close the valve and have my wife fill the toilet and flush using our fresh water system on the AS. With water in there, as we tow, there will be 'agitation' of the remnants in the Black tank. Some folks dump the remaining ice from their ice chests in the tank too... as the solid ice can 'scrub' things up a bit while underway towing.

Put in some 'toilet conditioner' from your favorite RV store... to keep things 'in check'.. it can also break down things..

Another option is to get a hose special for use on this operation when you dump tanks. Remember it is only for this operation.. you can unscrew the site hose and connect up to your tank... flush then restore the site to original condition.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We too don't use it at every dump. When on the road moving from site to site I will do a quick dump when needed. On the way home I try to plan our final nights stop at a full service CG where I can be sure to do a thorough flush. So usually, while at the site, I will (using a dedicated hose) connect the flush and allow it to "do it's thing" and at the same time fill the black tank with water. THEN, at the dump station ( or on site) I can get a nice and thorough flush. Our former trailer did not have a built in flush and I also have a "Flush King" device to accomplish the same thing but it works faster than the built in tank flush. So I'm sure to go through this process on the last stop before getting home and a few times in between during the camping season. In doing this we find no need to use any additives and find no odors in the cabin area. Most travelers recommend putting a few gallons of water in the black tank to help keep things in solution rather than an accumulation of solids which make it more difficult to drain off. The sloshing action while traveling helps all this along.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
You can pick up a a "water thief" adapter for about $5 at Camping World, some Wal-Marts, amazon.com. Pick up two -- one for black tank flush, and another for fresh water (in case you are ever at a camp site where the water spigot threads are stripped). Just be sure to label them so you know which is which.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If we are going home or done for the season I make sure our last stop is a full hook up. There I dump the black and rinse, then fill it part way up by flushing the commode a number of times, then rinse again with the connection and dump out. Once the black tank is done I empty the grey to clean out the hoses. Then we move on.

The hose connection at dump facilities is to clean out the hose one connects to the trailer and the sewer, not to flush out the tanks.

Safe Travels,
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Thanks you guys good practices. While I want to give a try on "water thief". Hope it works. I do want to have the ability to flush and clean my combined gray and black tank in any dump place.
shockfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Every day I seem to get a reminder that says, "Wow Paula you are so OLD" - and the water thief is just one more. When I was a kid - we had a bathroom with a tub and no shower. The house had been built in about 1933 and even in the tub showers weren't common in modest houses. The rich and famous up on the hill maybe. Also 2 bathrooms in a house with 5 children and 2 adults - absurd!

What is now sold as a "water thief" was at that time part of a $2 "system" to rinse yourself and the tub. The thief fit over the tub spigot, there was about six feet of cheap rubber hose and the end looked a lot like the business end of a tin watering can. We sat in soap scum to wash (real soap, detergent soaps were just becoming popular) and stood up so mom could give us a quick rinse then hit the towel.

I remember getting the dryer. OMG it turned the line dried towels from sandpaper into velvet! But the sheets never smelled as good as the ones the sun had touched.

Time passes, Airstreams persist!

hail and farewell, Paula