Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2021, 02:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hampden , Maine
Safety while boondocking

We're mulling a cross country trip with plans to 'boondock' occasionally on BLM lands and other remote sites. We will only camp in approved sites, and with permission where required. We're concerned with general safety however, especially when leaving our AS for excursions. We're aware of the basic risks but wonder if anyone has suggestions on either choosing locations/sites, or practices that would be conducive to a safer remote camping experience. I've done this while traveling in a pickup with cap and have had no problems whatsoever, but with the AS in tow I imagine the temptation for shenanigans may increase. Thanks kindly for any advice.
airmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Carry.

(legally of course before I am stoned to death..)
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Most thieves are more interested in getting the goods than a confrontation. I would suggest a good wheel lock (such as Brahma).
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
I agree with the above, carry! Remember the old adage, when seconds count the police are only minutes away!
JohnandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
And be really well trained. Be a responsible owner. 99.999999% chance you’ll never need to use your tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandDonna View Post
I agree with the above, carry! Remember the old adage, when seconds count the police are only minutes away!
Old 06-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Smithville , Tn
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post

Carry.

Cool thing about carrying is that is also useful against being stoned to death...
Bhmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:43 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
If leaving your trailer, be sure to use a good quality lock for your hitch, preferably don't park in plain sight of any main road, don't leave anything outside the trailer. Exercise your 2A rights, legally of course.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Get a dog/bring your dog too. Ain’t no one sneaking up on your rig with a dog. The best part is with a dog most of the time amateurs will just go bother someone else.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:13 PM   #9
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I think the OP's question was about security when leaving the AS unattended when out and about...not a shoot out with the bad guys.

Update your insurance policy, lock the trailer and enjoy the trip.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:29 PM   #10
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo;
I think the OP's question was about security when leaving the AS unattended when out and about...not a shoot out with the bad guys.

Update your insurance policy, lock the trailer and enjoy the trip.
^^^ X2.

You are in control of where you leave your airstream parked. If you are not comfortable don't leave it there be good onto others... and ... karma
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmaine View Post
We're mulling a cross country trip with plans to 'boondock' occasionally on BLM lands and other remote sites. We will only camp in approved sites, and with permission where required. We're concerned with general safety however, especially when leaving our AS for excursions. We're aware of the basic risks but wonder if anyone has suggestions on either choosing locations/sites, or practices that would be conducive to a safer remote camping experience. I've done this while traveling in a pickup with cap and have had no problems whatsoever, but with the AS in tow I imagine the temptation for shenanigans may increase. Thanks kindly for any advice.

IMHO, boondocking is far more safe than conventional camping. It is more rare to see anyone if you are far from traveled paths, and those people likely aren’t those who would jack a trailer.

That being said I still use a hitch lock on the trailer. I leave the door open, my family and I leave most days for hours hiking or swimming. If someone wants to break in out in the country they will cause more damage than is worth some food and clothes.

If someone is at your door at night they most likely need help and aren’t trying to rob you.

We stay away from crowded places and love every minute of it!!!
Humboldt Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Most thieves are more interested in getting the goods than a confrontation. I would suggest a good wheel lock (such as Brahma).
I considered getting a Brahma wheel lock but it doesn’t look like it would fit over the tall center cap on the wheel. Do you have experience with Brahma?
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
A good quality wheel lock (boot) system and a good quality Hitch lock. Should deter most thieves and ne'er-do-well's. The hope is they will find an easier target.

I have used a boot similar to the Nemesis wheel lock for many years. No troule! ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/27365004097...MaAu5BEALw_wcB)

I recommend the Megahitch Lock Vault as a good choice for the hitch lock. (https://www.amazon.com/MegaHitch-Loc...48309921&psc=1)

Safe travels,
-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Ignore what you read, watch on television, or advice from those who do...

The safest place to camp are AT Remote Locations.

I say Remote. Not a RV Park or at Home.

When camped in the Wild... even those camping in the area do not know you from a Neanderthal or civilized Human Bean afraid or what DANGER could be within 300 miles from you at the time. Bad guys are afraid of the Boondocks. No cell service, either.

A Truck Stop is among the safest place to Boondock within a town, city or spot along the highway. Not among the idling 18 wheelers, but a place away from the Fuel Pumps and among the LED lighting provided by the service station. Do not need interior lighting either in your NON Solar Airstream... if that is the case.

Out West... Maverick Stations are our Favorite for Fuel, Soda Refills and in a pinch... overnight after topping off the tow vehicle fuel tank.

Now there are those wandering Truck Stops, but not out to harm anyone. Just saying...

Coffee in the mornings at Mavericks are inexpensive, hot and you bring in your pot and pay for REFILL prices. GETS your System running for that Off the Grid in the Dirt Boondocking! ... cheap and clean restrooms to add. ALL Coffee options, which there are many, seem to be weak at ALL stations, but no mess to clean up your French Press. If I am shaking from Caffine... maybe a bit too strong. This has not happened in this Century, for me.

Some stations DO OFFER a high caffine coffee and I saw it on the pot. I stay away from anything with a sign like that...

If you are nervous about Off the Grid or just off the main road... confidence comes with experience. Eventually noises you hear outside in the forest are Angus Cattle rubbing against your Airstream. Just come out, yelling at them... they will leave. Although will return later to leave you what cattle do... Angus are mean. Moose even meaner.

I do not mess with a Woman with 'anything' in their hand... it is Yes Mam and No Mam. Ask my Wife. She can handle anyone, any thing and even a Neanderthal becoming a Human Bean.

Go with someone who can give you some good advice. Mine is not that great as most of those I took on 'Adventures' did not like MY KIND of Boondocking Style. I am exactly as I look... and survived. Somehow the delivery of my methods did not meet any standards expected at a fancy Dude Ranch in a City suburb with showers. If you want Room Service... do not ask for me.

Inconvenient, at Best. I know names of those who CAN handle it. I know the names of those who my Mom could teach them a few things with a broom in hand and a swift kick in the large buttocks.

Any 'bad guys and gals' in the forest do NOT EXIST. They are afraid to tamper with anything unlocked in the back country. Watch Yellowstone, the series... it is make believe... but good. It is actually filmed in Idaho, not Montana as we ate at a remote location in Idaho with some confirmation of actual characters walking in and leaving good tips.

Go with someone who is a bit rough around the edges, but means well. They are the Best Boondocking teachers. Most professing living in the sticks... do not know what they are talking about... and at least 50%. A few 'Real Boondockers' have already commenting... they are the real thing. Some... again we are talking about what Angus Cattle leave around your campsite.

There is nothing Scary about Off the Gird... for YOU. It is your imagine. If you wake up the next morning... wondering what is out there... the next night you will sleep as if you passed into another World.

Enjoy, carry a sturdy Broom and be able to YELL at horses, cows, elk, maybe a Moose if you are lucky... and you will become old some day and give rambling advice like a real... Boondocker. Not a fancy pants with no idea of what camping off the gird in an AIRSTREAM is really like.

It is AHHHHHH. Safe and after a lifetime Off the Grid... lots of good stories and some are even true.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:51 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We spent decades camping all sorts of places in tents. There *is* no security in a tent. Any fool with a pocket knife can be inside in under 3 seconds. We never / ever had anything wander away from a campsite.

About the most complicated thing we did was to put things out of sight. Toss it in a bag or throw a tarp over it. In some cases we would have a "cargo tent" that all the junk would live in. Just don't leave that generator, the e-bikes, and those solar panels sitting out by the side of the road .....

If you decide to bring "support", having it (baseball bat or whatever) stored away behind three locked doors probably is not going to work to your advantage. Understand all the issues .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
I considered getting a Brahma wheel lock but it doesn’t look like it would fit over the tall center cap on the wheel. Do you have experience with Brahma?
Hi, sorry for the delay, we were on the road and the little screen doesn’t always do the job.
We ended up talking to a salesperson (which gives you a better hope of a favorable adjustment if things don’t work out, IMO) and ordered the standard lock plus the alternate size hubcap. The standard is too deep, the option is a hair too shallow but works even if it’s a bit wobbly. Apparently they don’t offer a “Mama Bear” size (or would that be Baby Bear?). Get the optional one with your original order to save shipping, and the deeper one makes an excellent coin tray.
Once assembled, the thing looks like it would be a bear to store, but I found it stands up vertically under the truck cap, behind the wheel well, very nicely.
Happy travels!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandDonna View Post
Exactly! And another thing... many of us cops are just too heavy to carry on you where ever you go.
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #18

Currently Looking...
Avon , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Carry.

Out of curiosity. How would one possibly know all the state laws and avoid penalty.

I’ve always wondered if there was an option that was legal in all 50 states like a, shotgun, stun gun or tazer etc….
Bassmantweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:31 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
About the legality, it is so in most states but if it isn’t, is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6, so carry. Not only for the 2 legged kind of mammal, but the 4 legged ones that roam the wild, especially if you take a dog with on your hikes, as our best friends like to charge wildlife and when confronted, run back to you for safety… with the beat/moose/mountain lion or pac of coyotes/Wolfes behind. So don’t just carry, but the right caliber. A rifle is too cumbersome, so go for at least .45 or 10mm with plenty of rounds as most will miss the mark. Back at camp chain your generator with a beefy chain and lock or do the opposite, just leave the door open. Found out the risks are higher when close to other campers that may run our of propane or battery and you are the easier ‘supplier’. As for chose of camping spot, you need a road leading to yours and a reasonable cleaned/leveled surface to camp. That reduces your options from the gigantic legal camping area (BLM/FS/ACOE, etc.) to a tiny percentage of actual, real options. Also, you want to camp dispersed but where it is worth it because of the proximity of water bodies, rivers, views, etc. In the middle of nowhere with no worthwhile views/activities while isolated…. Boring. Good luck.
“Give up adventure for safety and end up with none” (shameless plagiarism with a twist)
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clive , Iowa
Www.carry.Org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmantweed View Post
Out of curiosity. How would one possibly know all the state laws and avoid penalty.

I’ve always wondered if there was an option that was legal in all 50 states like a, shotgun, stun gun or tazer etc….
Check out www.carry.org Many states offer reciprocity with the state you have your legal permit in.
jpaine4 is offline   Reply With Quote