Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2021, 09:09 AM   #41
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Famous case on how nuts our laws are: Woman is to fly between two states where her firearm is legal. It's legally declared and stored in her checked luggage. Her flight has a mechanical problem and diverts to New Jersey. Passengers are to spend the night. She cannot get her luggage.
Her firearm is now illegal and she is arrested even though she did everything legally.
I leave it home.

Hi

Arrested is different than convicted. There are a lot of tales of over zealous cops making arrests for all sorts of things. Indeed they do result in costs and lots of time wasted, even if tossed out.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:13 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
The safest place to camp are AT Remote Locations.

I say Remote. Not a RV Park or at Home.

When camped in the Wild... even those camping in the area do not know you from a Neanderthal or civilized Human Bean afraid or what DANGER could be within 300 miles from you at the time. Bad guys are afraid of the Boondocks. No cell service, either.

A Truck Stop is among the safest place to Boondock within a town, city or spot along the highway. Not among the idling 18 wheelers, but a place away from the Fuel Pumps and among the LED lighting provided by the service station. Do not need interior lighting either in your NON Solar Airstream... if that is the case.

Out West... Maverick Stations are our Favorite for Fuel, Soda Refills and in a pinch... overnight after topping off the tow vehicle fuel tank.

Now there are those wandering Truck Stops, but not out to harm anyone. Just saying...

Coffee in the mornings at Mavericks are inexpensive, hot and you bring in your pot and pay for REFILL prices. GETS your System running for that Off the Grid in the Dirt Boondocking! ... cheap and clean restrooms to add. ALL Coffee options, which there are many, seem to be weak at ALL stations, but no mess to clean up your French Press. If I am shaking from Caffine... maybe a bit too strong. This has not happened in this Century, for me.

Some stations DO OFFER a high caffine coffee and I saw it on the pot. I stay away from anything with a sign like that...

If you are nervous about Off the Grid or just off the main road... confidence comes with experience. Eventually noises you hear outside in the forest are Angus Cattle rubbing against your Airstream. Just come out, yelling at them... they will leave. Although will return later to leave you what cattle do... Angus are mean. Moose even meaner.

I do not mess with a Woman with 'anything' in their hand... it is Yes Mam and No Mam. Ask my Wife. She can handle anyone, any thing and even a Neanderthal becoming a Human Bean.

Go with someone who can give you some good advice. Mine is not that great as most of those I took on 'Adventures' did not like MY KIND of Boondocking Style. I am exactly as I look... and survived. Somehow the delivery of my methods did not meet any standards expected at a fancy Dude Ranch in a City suburb with showers. If you want Room Service... do not ask for me.

Inconvenient, at Best. I know names of those who CAN handle it. I know the names of those who my Mom could teach them a few things with a broom in hand and a swift kick in the large buttocks.

Any 'bad guys and gals' in the forest do NOT EXIST. They are afraid to tamper with anything unlocked in the back country. Watch Yellowstone, the series... it is make believe... but good. It is actually filmed in Idaho, not Montana as we ate at a remote location in Idaho with some confirmation of actual characters walking in and leaving good tips.

Go with someone who is a bit rough around the edges, but means well. They are the Best Boondocking teachers. Most professing living in the sticks... do not know what they are talking about... and at least 50%. A few 'Real Boondockers' have already commenting... they are the real thing. Some... again we are talking about what Angus Cattle leave around your campsite.

There is nothing Scary about Off the Gird... for YOU. It is your imagine. If you wake up the next morning... wondering what is out there... the next night you will sleep as if you passed into another World.

Enjoy, carry a sturdy Broom and be able to YELL at horses, cows, elk, maybe a Moose if you are lucky... and you will become old some day and give rambling advice like a real... Boondocker. Not a fancy pants with no idea of what camping off the gird in an AIRSTREAM is really like.

It is AHHHHHH. Safe and after a lifetime Off the Grid... lots of good stories and some are even true.
Very well said! I love your commentary here in the forums.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:14 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Yes. Or boondock close to home. At least in NY the options are almost limitless.
Options to protect yourself are not “limitless “ in the People’s Republic of New York!😂
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:35 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
I found out that a bumper/windshield sticker of NRA or GOA (Gun Owners of America) commands respect, extra caution and otherwise sends a compelling message. They don’t know how close you are and your tolerance for their sense of humor, mischief or mindless. I would also display the US Marines cool sticker, but did not earn that right.
I leave a firearm related hat on my dash all the time. It tends to make people think twice. The odd 12 gauge shell laying in your cup holder is a nice touch too. It makes people think about what may be in store for them if you happen to catch them messing with you or your stuff. These are good strategies even if you aren’t actually armed.
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:54 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The short answer is: "You can't" ...easily. Famous case on how nuts our laws are: Woman is to fly between two states where her firearm is legal. It's legally declared and stored in her checked luggage. Her flight has a mechanical problem and diverts to New Jersey. Passengers are to spend the night. She cannot get her luggage. Her firearm is now illegal and she is arrested even though she did everything legally...

I heard that story too, don’t know how the case was resolved though (although the lack of criminal intent makes me question why the arrest was made to begin with).

As a now-retired LEO I’ve got to add that (at least in WA) you have a greater expectation of privacy in your RV than you have in your TV. In a MH, that means the area behind the front seats. (Case law changes all the time but that’s the way it was when I served.)
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:08 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
North and west of Poughkipsie aren’t really “New York” as people think it to be either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Options to protect yourself are not “limitless “ in the People’s Republic of New York!😂
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:40 AM   #47
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Like it or not, firearms are one of the few things that typically sell for a higher price after being stolen than what you could sell them for in a "legit" fashion.

Most of the things we worry about get dumped for pennies on the dollar. Leaving stuff around that suggests you may have firearms stored close by just might attract the very folks you are trying to scare away .....

Bob
Old 06-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Like it or not, firearms are one of the few things that typically sell for a higher price after being stolen than what you could sell them for in a "legit" fashion.

Most of the things we worry about get dumped for pennies on the dollar. Leaving stuff around that suggests you may have firearms stored close by just might attract the very folks you are trying to scare away .....

Bob
That’s exactly why I avoid NRA or “protected by Smith & Wesson” type stickers. A low profile is best.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:01 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Quote:
That’s exactly why I avoid NRA or “protected by Smith & Wesson” type stickers. A low profile is best.
KEY POINT!
Don’t advertise “I have a gun. Come get it.”
If you are into stickers, get one that reads “This vehicle is protected by Copper Head” and have a pic of one.
Small chalk board on AS door handle with “Ginger is at the store. I am taking a nap. DO NOT WAKE ME” and have those thrift store size 15 boots on the steps.
The dog bowl is a good one, as well.
Another idea for bumper sticker: “I love my”(pic of a Pit Bull with teeth clinched). I have a Japanese Akita. I would put a bumper sticker with him on it, but he doesn’t look mean enough and most bad guys are too ignorant to know what the breed is or what it is capable of.
I have to address an earlier statement about bad guys not being in the wilderness and a reference to a TV show. When bad guys grow up in the boondocks, they tend to hang out there when they grow older. To reference a TV/movie, watch Deliverance.
I know about boondocks and the people who live there. After chasing Eric Rudolph in the hills of North Carolina for two (2) years, I can personally attest that if you are “not from around here” you are going to be checked out: FACT!
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:08 PM   #50
dgk
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Safari
1958 22' Falcon
angola , Indiana
Off grid camping

I’m basically in the same boat. Planning on trip to Alaska when borders open. Tried to get in on caravan but they will be full for awhile to makeup the people that lost out during covid. I can legally carry but not in Canada so I purchased bear spray plus I have large dog.
dgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:50 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Another perspective is that a $50 pair of boots from a thrift store at the steps of a 100K+ rig plus TV may show a) is a cheap trick and b) you are afraid. A GOA, NRA or Glock competition sticker may show that yes, the owner has a gun, and not necessarily stowed in a cabinet. One could also surround the campsite with spears supporting cutoff heads, but those are hard to come by, smelly to transport and probably illegal
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:00 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Some of the security deterrents listed here assume the predator is rational. ‘If I was him/them and saw this I would chose another target’. I reality I think they are not rational, they often act in pursue of the means for their next high and at maximum they will be afraid to break into your bode. Good door locks, situation awareness and a good tool in your waist (+ ability to use it without hesitation/pause/fear are the sole protection if ‘stuff’ happens in middle of nowhere, just like 200 and 2,000 years ago. Human nature to go for what you need ‘putting aside’ whatever/whomever gets on their way. The other side of dispersed camping, one of the components of real adventure which is not such without risk.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk View Post
I’m basically in the same boat. Planning on trip to Alaska when borders open. Tried to get in on caravan but they will be full for awhile to makeup the people that lost out during covid. I can legally carry but not in Canada so I purchased bear spray plus I have large dog.
While you can’t carry in Canada or even transport a handgun, you can, with the proper pre-approvals bring along a long gun that meets their criteria. I figured if/when I make that trip I’ll do the paperwork and bring a 12ga. Better than nothing.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:15 AM   #54
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
While you can’t carry in Canada or even transport a handgun, you can, with the proper pre-approvals bring along a long gun that meets their criteria. I figured if/when I make that trip I’ll do the paperwork and bring a 12ga. Better than nothing.
Hi

You might want to look a bit deeper into the "transport" part of that (if it's strictly a transit to Alaska). Indeed a boxed up / disassembled handgun isn't going to be of much use *while* you are in Canada.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=695

Bob
Old 06-26-2021, 09:55 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:

Same here. I never wear the tee shirts or ball caps either. I never wore anything (off duty) that would identify me as a LEO either.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:28 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Quote:
Hi

You might want to look a bit deeper into the "transport" part of that (if it's strictly a transit to Alaska). Indeed a boxed up / disassembled handgun isn't going to be of much use *while* you are in Canada.

Bob
Thanks Uncle Bob. That link is extremely helpful. I especially like the phone number for questions.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Hi

Bob
Bob, you’re talking handguns; I’m talking long guns. The link you provided is consistent with what I found out a year or two ago when I researched the topic. You must fill out the paperwork and get approval to bring a long gun into the country. I know people who have a cabin in Canada and are able to, with the correct paperwork and approvals, take their shotgun or rifle to their destination which is the cabin in Canada.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:53 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I started boon docking in California's Mojave Desert in the 60's with my Dad.

The dangers we/I have encountered in order of frequency.

1. Broken down old vehicle.
2. Forgotten food.
3. Wind destroyed tents.
4. Fallen and self injured.

Other than that. Gave a ride to a space alien who showed me the tip of his buried Flying Saucer...

Had a cow stick his head under the window at 3;00Am and sound off.

Fortunately never had a wildlife or wild person situation. Wild person events are very rare anywhere but the edges of the desert it seems.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
I started boon docking in California's Mojave Desert in the 60's with my Dad.

The dangers we/I have encountered in order of frequency.

1. Broken down old vehicle.
2. Forgotten food.
3. Wind destroyed tents.
4. Fallen and self injured.

Other than that. Gave a ride to a space alien who showed me the tip of his buried Flying Saucer...

Had a cow stick his head under the window at 3;00Am and sound off.

Fortunately never had a wildlife or wild person situation. Wild person events are very rare anywhere but the edges of the desert it seems.
I have many of the same experiences.

Lived off the grid in the middle of a national forest for 10 years.

Boondocked in more than a dozen states and camped in different countries.

Dangers I have encountered:

Weather!!!!!!!!!

Sickness

Self inflicted injury

Never been robbed or hurt by another Human
Humboldt Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:07 AM   #60
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Bob, you’re talking handguns; I’m talking long guns. The link you provided is consistent with what I found out a year or two ago when I researched the topic. You must fill out the paperwork and get approval to bring a long gun into the country. I know people who have a cabin in Canada and are able to, with the correct paperwork and approvals, take their shotgun or rifle to their destination which is the cabin in Canada.
Hi

In your original statement you said "can't even transport a handgun". Thus the reference in my reply.

If indeed you are worried about this or that attacking you while out walking the dog or taking a hike, bear spray is an option (also restricted in Canada, but easy to buy in the US). If you have bear spray and are still worried, maybe a bit of a calm down period is needed. Past that, a handgun and proper training is on the list.

Bob