Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Perry,

Reminds me of one of my favorite vid's......

Bob

When The Wife Doesn't Listen - Funny Videos at Videobash
Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
They sell relatively cheap GPS locators for beehives - yes, people steal bee hives. You could hide it anywhere. At least you could get the perps and your trailer back in case the worst happened.

I like the shocking idea personally. However, I plan on getting the hitch lock. Thanks for the notes about the propane tanks. I have the cheapo 10 gal right now since the former tanks were all rusted and non compliant, but when I get my aluminum ones, I don't want to lose them.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
However, I plan on getting the hitch lock. Thanks for the notes about the propane tanks. I have the cheapo 10 gal right now since the former tanks were all rusted and non compliant, but when I get my aluminum ones, I don't want to lose them.
Supplement your hitch lock by removing the safety chains. Even with a hitch lock in place, a determined thief could ignore the hitch— lock and all— and just suspend the trailer's tongue on the chains, but if the chains are stored in your tow vehicle instead…
Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Perhaps a moat with alligators?
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermcfrug View Post
Claymore mines with trip wires. Learned that in the Army. Only had them go off once in Yosemite in '07...
I thought it was Yellowstone in '88 when that happened.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I'd take the wheels off and put it on jackstands. Then get a rottweiler (rabid one even better) and chain to it

OK, maybe just take the wheels off.....
Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Securing your Airstream while Boondocking

There are hitch lock systems that use an ACE lock/key assembly and nearly impossible to open. Used on Bally slot machines... so that is a good start. I cannot recall the name (maybe Grizzly... but that could be the one I did not use), but it is well made and available at Camping World. It fits a bit loose, but unless you have a welding/cutting torch, this thing is not going to be easy to remove to steal your trailer.

I have camped in places where most people would not camp and have detached the trailer in areas that everyone driving down the street could not miss the shine of the aluminum for miles... Never a problem, never an encounter of a thief. As said earlier, a professional will steal what they want. Make it more difficult like installing the hitch lock unit, and have a switch to disable the front leveling unit when not in the area.

Insure your trailer for what it is worth. The insurance is very inexpensive. And after a few camping trips you will be at ease and not worry about losing your AS.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
, California
I like the flash bang ideal!! I have been camping in the NP's for over 30 yrs. I worked for the NPS for some time and don't ever recall a trailer that was taken. A majority of crimes were car break-ins (car clots), poaching wildlife/plant life and suicides. I stay informed about the parks with this website www.nps.gov/morningreport it covers all NP's. I use a ball with no shank and lock it into the trailer hitch. One time I was out of camp & when I got back I had a note from some strangers stating they had drank some of my beer from a cooler & would be back to repay me. They showed up later with some T-Bones and sides. I have been camping with these people for 20 yrs. now.
Just remember that paranoia is a heightened state of reality. - ray
Old 02-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Insure your trailer for what it is worth. The insurance is very inexpensive. And after a few camping trips you will be at ease and not worry about losing your AS.
The insurance company will be very happy to take your premium for any value you set on the trailer, but if you want to collect on a theft or damage, they won't pay you any more than actual cash value. That means it has depreciated away to nothing or a token amount if it's vintage, unless you have receipts to prove otherwise. And your labor doesn't count: only receipts for parts, etc., plus photos. So please do take the preventive measures suggested here; unless you paid someone else to restore your vintage trailer, you're gonna be out a lot of $$ if something unfortunate happens to it.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
" you're gonna be out a lot of $$ if something unfortunate happens to it."

Vivian
__________________--------------------------------------------------------------

Get a quality agreed value policy and read the terms. You get what you pay for.

Bob
Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
HawksHead company has an alarm on their web site for trailer/RV's looks like it would work just about anywhere. Works off of batteries or can be plugged in. If I remember correctly it costs around $38.00 plus shipping.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Don't worry about what you can't control

We stopped worrying about it. I'm with Ray and Rick -- we've stayed in just about every kind of place and have met all kinds of people. But no problems anywhere ever. Well, at least not problems with people.

Trailer and contents are insured. Loose stuff is secured. But none of this really matters. It's all just stuff. If someone is determined to try and ruin our day or our stay, it might happen. And then our safety is all that matters. We'll do our level best to take care of self-preservation, for sure.

But the stuff? Fix it or replace it if the rare thing happens. Don't invite trouble, don't be careless. And don't worry about what could happen 'cause it probably won't happen.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Central , Oklahoma
Lock

Take a look at Megahitch trailers locks. Received mine this week. Not cheap, but after observing a cargo trailer being stolen on video in about 45 seconds from our lot, I decided to upgrade. My Airstream had the same type of ball lock as the cargo trailer. The new one is a monster.
Hiwheel Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
I'd like to see a thief try to figure out how to hook up to a Hensley Arrow Hitch!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
I'd like to see a thief try to figure out how to hook up to a Hensley Arrow Hitch!
YEP....
But still chain lock the wheels, and dis-able tongue jack.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July Forth trip To Cold Brook 017.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	151914  
Old 02-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
You can with this.
Cabela's: Cuddeback® 5.0 Ambush IR Camera
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #37
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Most thefts that are going to occur are crimes of opportunity. A spur of the moment grab and run. We had a nice new recliner chair pinched from our campsite outside of Santa Fe. They ignored the generator under the picnic table. It was covered with a black plastic bag and looked like trash. It was cable locked to the table, but hadn't been touched.

If someone is out on the prowl with the intent to steal your trailer or your belongings, you may deter them, but you can't stop them. A truck with a strong cable winch can pick up your trailer with hitchball lock and no chains and drive away. Thieves with cutting torch and cut-off grinders can steal anything in about 60 seconds.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Just curious. Does anyone know if there is a database showing locations of campers stolen? Not just airstreams.
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #39
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getaways View Post
Just curious. Does anyone know if there is a database showing locations of campers stolen? Not just airstreams.
You're unlikely to find anything like that. Most municipalities that publish crime statistics do not distinguish between a general vehicle theft or an RV/trailer theft. When my RV was broken into on Christmas Eve, the crime statistics for the jurisdiction later showed it as a vehicular burglary, no mention of it being an RV.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #40
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getaways View Post
Anecdotally:

1) More of a problem near the Mexican border.

2) Most frequently from commercial/industrial sites that are unattended at night and on weekends

3) One or two reports involving long-term (more than a week) unattended parking in somewhat remote areas, e.g. where the trailer owner uses the trailer on weekends and is gone during the week.

Vandalism and theft of contents is a problem in storage locations and, rarely, in boondocking sites but it's rare for entire trailers to be stolen.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote