Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Minnesota
Running tv off battery?

Hi,

Pretty new to everything! I have a 2014 International 27. Question is - Can I run my tv(s) off of the battery alone, without generator or shore power? Is it as simple as plugging the tv into the inverter outlet which is right next to a non-inverter outlet by each tv? Do the tv(s) drain the battery rapidly?
I have a small Honda generator for boondocking but I'm imagining watching some tv at night and not wanting to run the generator...and then using generator during the day to recharge?....if this is possible. Or, should I just stick with only using tv when plugged into generator or shore?

Thanks!

Don
Don Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I have run the tv, and DVD player using the inverter, worked fine..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Yes you can run the TV's off of the inverter. The drain on the batteries will depend upon how long you watch and how many other devices are in use: DVD, stereo, lights, furnace, etc. Check your battery monitor for a general measurement of battery condition. And yes, use the genny to bring them back up to charge in the day.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Minnesota
Thanks! But I do need to plug the tv into the inverter outlet when I do this, correct?

I just bought fresh batteries, seems like 2.5 year old ones were dead. For the battery level, what is a good general rule of thumb of what range I need to be in and when to charge? I've read never to let them go below 11?

Thanks again!

Don
Old 11-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Minnesota
And ABOUT how long does it take for a Honda 2000 genny to recharge the batteries?

DON
Old 11-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #6
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Yes plug the TV into the marked inverter outlet. Be sure to turn off inverter when finished as it will continuet to put a small drain on batteries by just being on.

As to how long you run the generator, it all depends on the battery voltage level. Ususally, 2 to 4 hours will bring it back up, but it will take much longer to get them fully charged. Google "RV battery usage" to get a better understanding of how these systems work so you don't find yourself in the dark!

Old 11-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Minnesota
Thanks, Mojo!

And what is fully charged? I just installed new batteries and monitor reads 12.5. What is a "dangerous" level to fall to before I start recharging?

Don
Old 11-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I run my TV off the inverter from time to time. I've never run a test to see how long I can do that before serious battery depletion. I'd recommend you do a test starting with topped off batteries and checking every 30 or 60 minutes.

As for depletion and recharging, the consensus here on AirForums is that lead/acid batteries should not be discharged to below 50% state-of-charge. Below that can permanently reduce their capacity. Most battery charge tables show that 50% corresponds to 12.06 volts. So... I don't think you will find support here for the thought that you should draw down until you see 11 volts. Many serious Airstreamers install an aftermarket battery monitor to get accurate measurements. I have made other upgrades (I would recommend the first one you make is to replace the factory installed converter with a good three stage unit) but still use the factory voltage monitor. I check when there are no major loads such as fans, furnace, inverter, etc.

How long it takes to recharge depends in part on your converter. With one Honda 2000 and my aftermarket Progressive Dynamics converter I plan about 90 minutes to recharge from 50% to 100. You may also consider solar. When we travel we carry two 100 watt panels that we use "on the ground" (i.e.: they ar not mounted on the roof of the trailer). On a sunny day that much capacity replenishes our batteries and we do not need to run a generator. As a qualifier, I've never tested whether that would accommodate extended use of 120 v power through the inverter... we just don't use ours that much.

I hope that helps.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
What mojo (and others have) said.

Here's the chart I use:
http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/voltchart1.gif
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My TV came with plugs for both AC and DC. It is a DC powered TV that uses a brick to convert AC to DC.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #11
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
My TV came with plugs for both AC and DC. It is a DC powered TV that uses a brick to convert AC to DC.
Unfortunately, Airstreams no longer come with 12V receptacles.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Don, you batteries should do fine for a couple hours of TV watching. As stated above check the meter from time to time to be sure the drain is not excessive. As stated, you're new to this so be aware that the use/store switch must always be in use for charging, don't be mislead by the read light, as it's always on when plugged into a generator or shore power. Happy camping!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Unfortunately, Airstreams no longer come with 12V receptacles.
And that baffles me as to why not.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 11-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #14
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Saves $.50...
Old 11-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Saves $.50...

Old 11-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #16
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Seriously disappointing. I bought a Classic and they didn't include 12v outlets on it either! Sad.

We had one 12v receptacle installed in the bedroom, on the underside of the overhead cabinets and had it wired into the roadside reading light switch ... necessary for boondocking (in Walmart parking lots ) ... the CPAP needs power.

So, relevant to the OP's question ... we have factory solar (160W) with AGM Group 27 batteries. I can have the small bedroom TV on for about 60 mins (via the inverter), plus run the CPAP for 8 hours, plus the various LED lights, bathroom fan when needed ... and voltage goes from 12.8v to bouncing between 12.5v - 12.6v, according to our various monitors (firefly and solar status panels). Then the sun comes up and the solar system charges the batteries back up.

This evening, I went to the trailer in storage. Set switch to USE and batteries indicated 12.8v. I turned on the lights and the radio and then went about putzing-around with replacing the lost conical washer I lost on my water pump ... then added RV antifreeze ... took my time and about 2 hours went by before I noticed the batteries were at 12.6v. I thought they dropped a bit. Then, saw the panel flicker a 12.7. I may need a higher quality monitoring system when the time comes...

Just keep a close eye on the panels and don't get too low.

Take care,
Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
My thoughts are that folks today want USB port(s) for charging phones, tablets, and so on.

For my part, I have no 12V devices, save one (the Motorola Talkabout radio plug.). For that one, unless I recharge them in the truck, I use a simple 120VAC to 12V DC 1A adapter.

I get your point, but I think it's a case of Airstream giving buyers what they want. I believe it's possible it's the relatively thick cable required to provide the currents in these 12V sockets they are saving as well.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #18
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
USB's are nice but many TV's run on 12-18 volt power. So going from 12V battery to a 120V inverter to the brick converter plug which takes it back to 12V is kinda redundant. Pluging a 12V TV into a 12V receptacle makes more sense.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:58 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Minnesota
Thank you everyone for the great info! GammaDog, or anyone else, can you recommend a specific after market 3 stage converter? And the local dealer should be able to install no problem?

Don
Old 11-17-2016, 06:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Airstream trying to be pc and buckling under to the anti tobacco lobby without considering the after affects.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote