Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2007, 06:22 AM   #21
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
And before you left, did you disperse the rocks and ash so you couldn't tell there had been a fire there? If so, great. Leaving no trace should be part of rockdocking.
Yes I did and then I dug it out again 5 months later when we went back to the same spot. It took a while to find the exact spot. I had help filling it a second time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	47294  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 AM   #22
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
rockdocking, I like it!

Ray I dig what your saying--theres no need to check out--theres always more critics than enthusiasts in this world--so what?--just blow by em and keep on moving in your own direction--to me what your saying extends to the urban world as well--as an artist that makes a living doin artfairs Ive become an "urban rock docker"sans the airstreme, finding places to sleep that most have never heard of--just give me a tarp,sleeping bag and a pillow and Im set--at the Traverse City artfair theres a wonderful set of bushes near the admin bldg that are totally hidden once your in em!--And in Gettysburg me and my tarp had a wonderful nites rest accross the tracks, in a corn field, behind the motel-and in the am the motels restroom to wash up--or when I attended college and was firing the gas kiln all night,found an office unlocked,wrapped up in the curtins for a good nites sleep--rehung em in the am--and all was well--now Id call that urban rockdockin, pushing the envelop-dont need no stinking concrete pad to park on--and it goes without saying-leave no trace........keep on rocking,docking, that is................jim
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Yes I did and then I dug it out again 5 months later when we went back to the same spot. It took a while to find the exact spot. I had help filling it a second time.
You get bonus points for re-using the same spot!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:10 AM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
What Critics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund
When the critics out number the enthusiasts, it is time to check out.
Ray, only you can choose the route you want to go. However, lets be frank here. As far as I can find, nobody criticized you for how you like to camp, although one can certainly find instances of you criticizing others, at least by implication, in these threads. In fact, in post 17
Quote:
Airstreaming as a sport for those still remaining young at heart, rather than a parking lot gathering for the elderly.

What happened is this: you coined a new term that turned out not to catch on and you then accuse others of being critical. Interestingly, the people you are accusing of being critical, are the members who use their rigs the most like you are advocating and not the RV park folks.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Boondocking far away from the cities in cool fresh air with natural surroundings and good star viewing at night is certainly attractive to some portion of the Airforums members, myself included.

I would hope folks would contribute to the boondocking threads with items like;
Where to go,
How to be prepared,
What to do if such & such happens,
etc.

I think those would be helpful.

Comments like I went farther than you but I wont tell you where are not helpful.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Boondocking far away from the cities in cool fresh air with natural surroundings and good star viewing at night is certainly attractive to some portion of the Airforums members, myself included.

I would hope folks would contribute to the boondocking threads with items like;
Where to go,
How to be prepared,
What to do if such & such happens,
etc.

I think those would be helpful.

Comments like I went farther than you but I wont tell you where are not helpful.
My comment about not telling where my spot is was purely tounge in cheek.

It is in the Mount Jefferson Wilderness area about 2.5 Hrs. from Portland, OR.. Google "Ollalie Lake". VERY few campsites that will fit anything bigger than a 20 footer, or you can park you TV in the overflow parking. Then you could probably go about 25, any bigger than that you will have trouble making some of the turns in the road.

Only one camping area has reservations, the rest are FCFS. There are three campgrounds.

No motor boats allowed, not even electric.

A couple years ago they had a guy up there on the forest service dime digging all the big rocks out of the road with a backhoe. They then graded it and regraveled it. So it is better than it was but still pretty bumpy.

To the flyfisherman on here, they stock the lake with brood trout. The biggest I think they have taken out is somewhere around 8 lbs. Nearly always on some sort of fly.

It is too bad that Ray bailed. We might have had a few things in common.

If anyone is ever up my way, shoot me an email if you want to go into the back country. I can give you some pointers or maybe even Airstream there with you !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Rockdocking IS a made up word

Sometimes it is easier to give up on fitting among such a diverse group as Airstreamers. Such is my invented term or words: Rockdocking, Rockdocker, Dingos, etc.. After spending over a week at Jackson Center, Ohio at Airstream, my wife and I met many long term and short term owners. Maybe Kim heading to the ski slopes of Utah and Barry heading back to California would try Rockdocking, but that was a beginning for us. After the email from Michael in Tampa this evening, maybe there might be a spark to ignite some back country interest and fellowship. Maybe even active, positive discussions on the forum about off road Airstreaming.

Back country trailer camping with an Airstream of any vintage is like taking a "stretch limo" off the road. Apparently it just is not done... much. But this limo CAN handle almost any road that can be found on a DeLorme state atlas and many roads that are not on the map. I have the confidence in my trailer and judgement, if only others were to get the confidence needed to just try it... once. It is not ego as one had said earlier. Rockdocking is an "idea" to be shared among those needing an introduction into the unknown.

Those Airstreamers who do not find Rockdocking as a viable form of outdoor adventure with a trailer are not forced or even asked to make comments or vote on this issue on the forum. It is not even necessary to make your negative opinion(s) heard. A true Rockdocker knows who has spent time in a tent, under a tarp, or camped in a trailer where few others dare to travel. (Although I do, now, prefer the trailer option most.) Our sunsets are limited in number, so now is the best time to Rockdock.

"It is best to try something new now, and failed at it, than to have done nothing and succeeded."
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:34 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
xtreme rockdocking

xtreme rock docking with my 345 in the himalayas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xtreme rockdocking.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	49764  
elbundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Am interested locally ...

Hi Ray:

Welcome back, glad you reconsidered and to decided to hang around. I'm in Denver and would join you on some rockdocking trips next year. I'm interested in visiting more of our remote and wonderful wild west. My 1964 19' Globe Trotter just had a new axle put underneath this summer, so she's ready to rock 'n roll in the backcountry. Freshly winterized, she's in sleep mode for a while ... but a few of us plan on greeting the New Year in Rocky Mt. National Park. We had that scheduled last year, but then got snowed out. If the roads are somewhat clear and the snow not too high, we'll try some New Year's Eve winter camping this year. You might consider joining us for some, ... ummm, ... "snowdocking".

Keep posting and educating me on how to rockdock, and hopefully I'll join you to apply these newly learned skills in 2008.

Best regards,
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
OK, we had a fire ring made from rock, no table and no pits. I still call this boondocking...
OK, what's with the SNOW in AZ? Hey, I'm from the land of Canucks. WE get the snow. AZ isn't supposed to get snow. Or that's what we are led to believe. That it's all desert heat and cactus and craters and warm warm warm.

Barry
Old 11-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Snowdocking is too tough for me

We mothballed the AS the beginning of November, after a wonderful two weeks in the mountains of central New Mexico. Once the snow flies, which can be in July in Colorado, we are not to be found north of Albuquerque, NM camping. Keystone is our destination for the winter, if, they get some natural snow this season. We hope.

Our first trip usually begins in late March and to New Mexico. As the winter's grip recedes from the Rockies to the north, we venture into Utah, then Wyoming when that state is known to introduce Spring with just a hurricane head wind and no, or little snow...

I look forward to next year's traveling season and a few neighbors to make things interesting.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:37 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Boondocking Off the Grid = Rockdocking 2007

I looked over some topics back to their... beginnings. The oldest I found was 3-5-2002.

I did rediscovered this 2007 Thread, Rockdocking Dingos.

Boondocking posts were like 'roughing it' at Palm Beach so I invented a word that would not be confused with wearing a 'smoking jacket' and had a butler at the RV Park for all of your needs.

Everything has been covered in previous Threads and as you go through time, you get into the vintage of current Airstreams.

Times may change. Trailers may change. Tow Vehicles may change.

So must we. What was normal in the 1950's for Trailer Camping is NOW considered Boondocking. Nancy's parents had a Mallard and a Nomad with hammocks... at New York campsites in the woods and lakes. Five people.

When some remember those days as kids... no wonder the newer trailer members get a bit... disorientated. We had neighbors in Colorado who considered Camping... staying at a Hilton Hotel. Gives you perspective.