Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
Ed Covey

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Portable tank totes

I will post this on boondocking as I suspect that will have the most experience for my question.
I am looking into buying a portable tank tote and was ready to "click" to buy the Camco Rhino 21 gallon product. Then I read the reviews and learned that very consistently people were reporting (1.) the wheels come off due to the cheapo compression lugs pop off due the weight and (2.) they are prone to leak. I also get the impression that the plastic body isn't very sturdy as the tow bracket tends to dig into the body when loaded.
Then I went through Air Forums and was directed to a study whereby 16 different units were evaluated and of course the Camco Rhino was dubbed #1. It was however the 15 gal unit.
So I am thinking the smaller capacity units may hold up better and also not filling them completely might be a wise choice.
Can I ask for learned advice from those who have used these over a period of time? Say 1-3 years? I want to know if they will hold up for some reasonable time before I have to go into McGiver mode. Most of the reviews are likely written very early in the ownership of these units.
Thanks,
Ed C.
Ec102849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I got the 15 gallon Tote-N-Stor in August of 2015. I wanted a smaller unit both for storing (we have an SUV so no truck bed) and for lifting/carrying. I have no complaints about the unit, it has worked well and I have made multiple trips with it on the hitch. It seems sturdy enough. I travel very slowly to the dump station and let people pass me.

I used it frequently in the first couple of years but then we went on long trips without spending a lot of time in campgrounds, instead, staying where there are full hookups. We are hoping to get back to warmer climes this winter.

The biggest problem I had was just finding a way to put the thing on ground lower than the dump valves, which is no reflection on the unit itself. Now I wait until the holding tank is pretty full, raise the stabilizers and lower the front of the AS. I can unload enough to fill the portable tank and take it to the dump station. We use the CG facilities mostly, instead of the black tank, so mostly gray water fills up first. I rinse it out well at the dump station and put some bleach in it before we leave for home.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TOB6EW This company makes different sizes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-15-2021 1-37-06 PM.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	390816   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-15-2021 1-39-47 PM.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	390817  

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ed,

Greetings from Darlington Cnty. to Horry Cnty.

We're about 9+ years into a Thetford 18G towed it on the gravel and stones at Santee SP to speed bump equipped camps SFSG. Still has all it's wheels.

One thing to keep in mind is the discharge (low) from the AS to the inlet and hose positioning of the tank you get.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote