Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1970 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
Newport , Oregon
Owyhee Canyon Area, SE Oregon anyone?

I am planning a trip this summer has any one been there and any favorite camping spots aside from the campgrounds?
buckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Haven't been there... we are going to a rally at Steens in the fall and it is not too far from there. I think the area is on the rally calendar and you could check out the website. Not much around that we know of. You could travel a bit south and go to Lava Beds National Monument. Depending on when you go, it can be pretty hot in the summer. On your way over from Newport there are some great places to see. Howard Prairie Lake out of Ashland (about 30 min) up the mountain is wonderful, so is Lake of the Woods. We also stayed at a nice campground at a little rally just north of Klamath Falls ~ Collier State Park. Are you looking for boondocking places, or campgrounds with full hook ups?

Isn't planning fun!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1970 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
Newport , Oregon
Full hook up to me is an electric cord pulled from someones barn only stayed at a campground (RV Park) once and stubbed my toe on the concrete so I guess I am a boon-docker. I will be coming from the north through Vale as my wife should be waiting for me there and she will expect me to pick her up We are planning to start a Succor Creek state park and scout it out to see if we can get the trailer down to Leslie Gulch were we will camp while we explore. I any one is familiar with some other nice out of the way spot to camp while explore please let me know. My first real job was as a firefighter for the BLM and was stationed at the fire camp at Burns Junction. I hear that the Feds have designated more wilderness area up there and I would like to see the area one last time before it is locked up for the privileged. I know of the heat and am planning on making a shade structure anyone have suggestions?

I am sure you will love your visit to the Steen's it is a magnificent special place.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There's a material called shade cloth. The material I've seen is black, lets some light and wind through, and cuts down the sun a lot. You'd have to create a structure to hold it and that would be something of a challenge because of size and weight. If you use solar to charge the batteries, it would make the solar useless. If camped in trees, it could be tied to them perhaps. Something for the imagination to explore.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
As you come through Hines (just west of Burns) there was a BLM office on the right as you come down the hill. They have maps and information. If you don't mind the road to Succor Creek (some shade) you shouldn't have too much problem getting in to Leslie Gulch (no shade)(it can be very hot there in the summer), as long as dirt and gravel roads with washboards and a few creek crossings don't bother you. Later on in the summer you might have to watch out for thunderstorms and minor flash floods. Your Globetrotter should handle it just fine, but it will be dusty and rattle it a bit.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1970 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
Newport , Oregon
Thanks SamB It has been 30 years since I was down there and do not know how much improvement there has been. I did stop and get a map from the BLM office in Vale last month which is what started the itch for this trip. if it is really uncomfortable we can always go to the in-laws in Ontario. I hope that is not the case.

Hey CrawfordGene Shade cloth would that be at a garden shop? I have an assortment of Misc. tent poles I plan on using.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I heard about it from the local nursery. The sun here (and in SE Oregon) is pretty intense, so it workls over picnic tables, growing things, decks, and bald guys. Check the internet as it may be cheaper than at some nurseries. I haven't used it, so I don't know much about it, like how you attach it to things.. They used it over a basketball court in town so kids could play in the summer sun without desiccating, but some kids vandalized it.

Gene
Old 04-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
I am planning a trip this summer has any one been there and any favorite camping spots aside from the campgrounds?
Having flown fires near there and driven through there several times. in the fall. I can tell you you will not find much but BLM camps maybe and just plan places to park. It is a beautiful from the air.
Not much lives there.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1970 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
Newport , Oregon
I get that "Not much lives there." from folks that live over here on the coast also. Having spent several years wandering around the back roads of SE Oregon as a young man I think most would be very surprised at the beauty and diversity of both flora and fauna geology of the region. Thank goodness more people have not found it. Uncle SAM has though and designated quite a chunk of public property to wilderness. I wonder what they are trying to protect? No intent here to create any bad feelings I'm just excited about returning.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Just to make more people aware of what is going on in the area, Uncle SAM has designated many areas there as "wilderness study areas". Wilderness areas, by definition, are roadless. To get around this they have closed existing roads and prohibit motorized travel. Instant wilderness? I like wilderness areas and agree with the concept, but for me with advancing arthritis and for others in the ageing demographics of our country a wilderness sign reads the same to me as a "NO TRESPASSING" sign. As for everything, there needs to be a balance.
Off my soapbox now.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1970 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
Newport , Oregon
SamB
Thank you for expressing how I feel I agree only the young and the wealthy are able to enjoy most of what used to be national forest or public lands and are now "road-less wilderness". It amazes me how a big berm at the start of the road makes it disappear. How about just restricting traffic and give people a permit to travel after all it is "Public Land.

Sorry to get off track, I am excited to go I have been looking at Shade cloth seems in the old days we use to hang burlap do they still make it? it is not like I plan on doing this every year. I know it gets hot but we will probably be in the car most of the day checking out the sights.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dennis, Google "burlap". They still make it, though I don't think it's a strong as shade cloth. Remember when people used burlap as curtains?

Gene
Old 07-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
TGK
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Owyhee Canyonlands SE Oregon

I've been in the Owyhee River Canyon country many times over the years, although not with my '71 Safari. If you haven't gone yet, the only warning I would give you is keep an eye on the weather as the back (unpaved) roads get really slick when wet if not covered with heavy gravel. One could get stuck bad in the blink of an eye.

I'ts beautiful, special country. I met my wife on a rafting trip on the Owyhee in June 1984.

Have a great time,

TGK - Portland, OR.
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Dennis,

Something to consider if you want to venture a little further South is the Qwyhee Uplands Back Country Byway. I went over it three weeks ago, one little BLM campground and some good dispersed camping furthur into Idaho. It goes through some great country! Your Globetrotter should be just fine on the whole route.

Also, if you are in the Jordan Valley area, be sure to stop by Jean Batiste Charbonneau's gravesite (Sacagawea's son) a few miles West of Jordan Valley.

Lester
igor is offline   Reply With Quote