Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Arlington , Virginia
Overnights at Churches or Vacant Office Buildings?

Anyone tried boondocking in a church parking lot or lot behind a vacant office building that is currently advertised to be leased? I read that these may be viable overnight stay spots. Thoughts? Experience?
xCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I haven't traveled with trailer yet, but have traveled extensively by car and usually had to stop to rest. I have never and would never consider parking at or certainly behind any vacant building. You would be lucky if it were just the police that woke you and questioned you. I also have never parked in a church parking lot as I'm averse to lightning. Safe Travels.
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
We have parked in church parking lots a few times--do ask if the parish house is next door. Other places we have boondocked are: on the street by a city park (that does not have camping), hospital parking lot, and monastery.
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Best to ask...in my state it is a misdemeanor to trespass on church property after dark.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Cliff, nearly any spot could be a viable overnight spot. It could also be an invitation to something that you'd rather not experience.

Our former property (10 acres in the Missouri Ozarks) was vacant for 10 months. Suppose you owned that property. Would you mind if some stranger pulled in and boondocked overnight? If so, do you think that the church or other property owner might also mind?

Now, if someone had contacted me about spending a night at our vacant place, I would have not only given them permission but also told them how to access electricity, water, and sewer. I also would have called the sheriff to let them know that someone was going to be at the place. On the few times we had to return to the place during those 10 months we always called the sheriff to tell them when we would be arriving and when we would be leaving.

My suggestion for parking at a church would be to first get permission from the church to park there. Then contact the city to see if that is actually legal. Don't depend on the church to know. Also, it would probably help if you were asking at a church of the same denomination as yours.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have spent a few nights in church parking lots, almost exclusively the very rural ones, and never on a Wednesday or Saturday night.

We meticulously practice "leave no trace", and once made a donation to the church winter heating fund when we woke the next morning to the bustling preparation activities of the women of the church.....for the ice cream social they were having outside to pay for winter fuel for this church established in 1865 or thereabouts.

Generally, No Overnight Parking is your clue that this is prohibited.

Our favorite overnight spots are river or ferry access areas....some of them are posted, but most are not.

We have never been accosted or had any problems.

Maggie
Old 09-17-2015, 07:49 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
We stayed in church parking lots many times on Saturday nights because we were traveling there specifically to visit the church and asked the pastors days in advance. If you aren't intending to attend the church and haven't asked, I would not recommend it. Abandoned buildings aren't a great idea. Check with Lowe's and Home Depot...they will usually allow overnight parking if you ask permission.
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Cliff
Stick to Walmart, Home Depot, or any larger shopping center parking lot. I agree with the other commenters that parking behind an (especially empty) office building is not advisable, and to ask for permission from church officials first. Best stick to rest areas and, here out west, to the numerous free BLM and FS camp sites. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The churches that welcome overnight RV parking have RV electric, sewer and water hookups somewhere in their yard or parking lot. I have overnighted at churches, but usually to attend a retreat or seminar or singing at that church.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Moutain Center , California
Um...you'd be struck by lightning if staying in a church parking lot?
CJ Winch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Winch View Post
Um...you'd be struck by lightning if staying in a church parking lot?
Devine intervention?
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
Thanks to everyone for sharing experience and recommendations. And for including other boondocking potential ideas like beside city parks, in hospital park lots, large shopping center lots, Lowes and Home Depot lots, Walmart, BLM and FS camping, Rest stops and Flying J ... all these are good to remember as long as legal and safe. I will use caution and courtesy with where I park and make sure to seek permission. Cliff
xCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Maybe more like Deus Ex Machina ...

The real solution, though, would be to move west! Still about a gazillion acres of public land to camp on!

Lynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Devine intervention?
Old 09-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Don't forget fraternal organizations - the Moose will welcome you if you are a member. Ditto for the Lions & a couple of others too. It's often just water or water and electric... and it's unlikely to be scenic... but the members are often very friendly and will direct you to lots of local stuff you might never find if you were just passing through.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Don't forget fraternal organizations - the Moose will welcome you if you are a member. Ditto for the Lions & a couple of others too. It's often just water or water and electric... and it's unlikely to be scenic... but the members are often very friendly and will direct you to lots of local stuff you might never find if you were just passing through.
Being a Moose is worth it just for some of the facallities. We know of a lot of them that have pools which are great if you have kids and want to stop by over night and let the little ones swim. Some even have bars
Old 09-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
You are TRESSPASSING. Period! At a church, seek permission - PAY. Vacant building? Somebody owns it and you are TRESSPASSING! Not to mention putting you and YOUR property at risk.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanologist View Post
You are TRESSPASSING. Period! At a church, seek permission - PAY. Vacant building? Somebody owns it and you are TRESSPASSING! Not to mention putting you and YOUR property at risk.
Exactly. Sometimes people forget about personal property rights.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lenoir City , Tennessee
I drove by a Cracker Barrel a few nights ago about 30 minutes before they were due to close. An AS was backed up in the parking lot under a light with its landing gear down - so they were clearly there for the night. I imagine they told management that they would be gone before the huge breakfast crowd the next day.

Ironically, I was on the way to visit my mother in the hospital as she was having surgery the next morning. I parked my AS in the hospital parking lot off to the side so that I and family members could use it - instead of the CCU waiting room - for the next few days to relax, talk, watch TV, etc. Worked beautifully. Safe, patrolled parking lot, lots of space, well-lit. No one even asked if we had a patient in residence, so perhaps this is an option.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Never boondock on private property without permission. Church parking lots are private property. Shopping centers usually don't mind since having someone there overnight is better for their security if there are no all night stores. It is still private property though.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The VA facilities in Boise had spaces for RV's if you asked. I took a friend in for a knee replacement, and stayed several nights while he was in the hospital there. It is rather specific, I know, but other VA's might be more liberal.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote