Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
New Zealand- Tauranga & Australia- Tasmanian Boondocking

I rediscovered some photographs made in 2009 of a popular campsite near the beaches of Tauranga, New Zealand. Much like the campsites of Tasmania off the coast of Australia.

When we debate if 23 feet is a bit cramped quarters... The Australians and New Zealanders are perfectly content using tarps to extend their living spaces. They are also not as 'bashful' as North Americans being at close quarters and sharing the facilities available.

The first two are Tauranga and the second two are Tasmania.

Anyone having photographs of Boondocking outside North America...? Customs vary as to trailer camping.

Enlarge the photo and note the lack of LARGE tow vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0686.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	557.6 KB
ID:	278218   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0685.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	583.7 KB
ID:	278219  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0659.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	278220   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0660.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	545.8 KB
ID:	278221  

Old 01-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Yep Ray, caravan camping is very popular in New Zealand.
I spent a lot of time there in my sailboat cruising years.
It is a beautiful country that offers a wide variety of types of country to experience. Perfect to travel with the smaller rigs that are most common there.

The Kiwis are a friendly folk. The pattern in anchoring anyway, seemed to be that if you anchored too far to toss a beer to the next boat, you were being unneighborly. A bit of a contrast to most of the crews cruising from other areas.
But a good reflection of their warm friendly nature.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time in Oz, But would Highly recommend
New Zealand as an excelent choice for RVers looking to do some international travels.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Thanks Richard for some insight.

We never felt any sense of danger day or night in Australia, Tasmania or New Zealand. Residents enjoyed our accents, as well.

I even took photographs inside some grocery stores. It was similar to what I recall in the 1970's. We considered it a nostalgic trip to the past. A comfortable pace of living, lost among most urbanized Americans.

From the ports in Australia, the 'caravans' would line up and drive onto the ship. The ship's crew could pack them in, as these were traveler's using up some vacation time getting to Tasmania. It was amazing what could be towed with smaller vehicles, many having diesel engines in small pickups. I have to assume they drove off going out the opposite end.

It would be a real 'eye opener' if others with some photographs of campers from northern Europe going to Greece and Turkey. My Dutch relatives liked Turkey as it was cheap. Today, it may not be the same, but fifteen years ago it was very popular. The trailer was small and the tow vehicle even smaller. The roads in the Netherlands were just wide enough for a vehicle and bicycle coming the opposite direction. True experts in getting around!

If we get any additional photographs of outside North American boondocking... many of us will find our options like portable hotels on wheels. A 23 foot Airstream in most of Europe might seem to be a 'wingless airplane' coming in for a landing.

The length of your trailer should never be in proportion to the enjoyment of using it. Make do with what you have and be comfortable knowing that most of the World is envious of you and your options. Have an outstanding 2017 camping experience and try some different options available to you. If the laws change to restrict access to the campsites available today on National Forest and BLM Boondock sites... it may too late.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Yep Ray, caravan camping is very popular in New Zealand.
I spent a lot of time there in my sailboat cruising years.
It is a beautiful country that offers a wide variety of types of country to experience. Perfect to travel with the smaller rigs that are most common there.

The Kiwis are a friendly folk. The pattern in anchoring anyway, seemed to be that if you anchored too far to toss a beer to the next boat, you were being unneighborly. A bit of a contrast to most of the crews cruising from other areas.
But a good reflection of their warm friendly nature.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time in Oz, But would Highly recommend
New Zealand as an excelent choice for RVers looking to do some international travels.

Cheers Richard
Richard,
My parents have made the same remark to me since their first excursion to NZ. It has such a variety of terrain and climates and the people very friendly. My Mom's uncle emigrated there from London and I am so looking forward to traveling there. My brother hired a camper for a month or so and had a terrific time. I've been a sailor and always wanted to sail among the fjords on the south island. I hope you got to. Now it looks like I'll have to hike there as my sailing aspirations were put on hold for an AS. It's hard to believe that, with the traveling I've experienced, that I haven't been there, but it's on my list of most important to see. I just hope no one else is reading this! Thanks
Richard
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote