Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
Troutboy's Avatar

 
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,651
Images: 1
New 2018 models out on AS site

2018 models are out and described. Can't believe it but AS is using pass through. On inverter and upgraded to a multi-stage charger.....

And added a battery disconnect.
__________________
Thanks,
Troutboy
Troutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
 
Lynnwood , Washington
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 22
Total noob here...

Okay, so they are saying "improved battery disconnect feature, multi stage converter, combined inverter outets, and dedicated HDMI plugs".

So can anyone elaborate on what this means? Also, in your opinions, would any of the new upgrades make it worth purchasing a 2018, or should I try and score one of the remaining 2017's at model year end discount pricing?
NWbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Troutboy's Avatar

 
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,651
Images: 1
For me. I replaced all the electronics anyway with what I wanted. So I would go for 2017 cheaper and rip out the stock electronics.
__________________
Thanks,
Troutboy
Troutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
Site Team
 
wulfraat's Avatar

 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,268
Images: 1
New 2018 models out on AS site

Yup my 2017 will get a Victron Hybrid inverter, Lithium, 600+ watts of solar, proper battery disconnects, system monitoring, etc... the 2018's have another price increase which wasn't worth it given that I am going to re-configure the energy system anyway...

Check out the improvements on the classic... looks like they made a lot of changes with the AC / heating system control unit. Makes me think that the first attempt in this area was problematic....
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
overlander63's Avatar
 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,253
Look closely for the water filter...
__________________
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
2018 models are out and described. Can't believe it but AS is using pass through. On inverter and upgraded to a multi-stage charger.....

And added a battery disconnect.
Please excuse my ignorance but what is "pass through"?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 12,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Yup my 2017 will get a Victron Hybrid inverter, Lithium, 600+ watts of solar, proper battery disconnects, system monitoring, etc... the 2018's have another price increase which wasn't worth it given that I am going to re-configure the energy system anyway...

Check out the improvements on the classic... looks like they made a lot of changes with the AC / heating system control unit. Makes me think that the first attempt in this area was problematic....

Hi

On the 2017 Classic, you have multiple control gizmos. You have the control panel that does almost anything from many places. You then have the Aldi panel that does the hot water heat. Next up you have the thermostat that runs the AC/ Heat pumps. I'm not really sure if moving all that into one big color panel is a step forward to less confusion or a move to ever deeper menus to navigate. I'd bet it *does* let you adjust things like the AC from more locations. Until somebody crawls around one with a camera and does some poking, it's all a bit unclear.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 12,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance but what is "pass through"?
Hi

I believe it's a reference to a transfer switch. It was previously available on part of the lineup, but not on all models. It switches the "inverter" outlets to shore power. No more moving things between outlets.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I believe it's a reference to a transfer switch. It was previously available on part of the lineup, but not on all models. It switches the "inverter" outlets to shore power. No more moving things between outlets.

Bob
OK, got it and thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
Site Team
 
wulfraat's Avatar

 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,268
Images: 1
New 2018 models out on AS site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance but what is "pass through"?


A pass through inverter powers one or more 120v circuits in the trailer. The front side of the inverter is connected to the breaker panel which provides power to whatever is on the circuit (TV, DVD, etc..). The backside of the inverter is connected to 120v shore power and 12v battery power on 2 separate lines obviously.

When 120v shore power is present the inverter "passes through" that 120v supply to the breaker panel. When 120v is not present then the inverter automatically switches to battery supply, inverts 12v to 120v and supplies the same breaker panel.

This allows you to have a single outlet that is powered by shore power when available, otherwise will automatically fail over to inverted battery power.

No need to plug the TV/DVD into a different outlet for inverter-supplied 120v power.

PS - a transfer switch has a similar outcome, however is wired differently and requires separate hardware from the inverter.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
A pass through inverter powers one or more 120v circuits in the trailer. The front side of the inverter is connected to the breaker panel which provides power to whatever is on the circuit (TV, DVD, etc..). The backside of the inverter is connected to 120v shore power and 12v battery power on 2 separate lines obviously.

When 120v shore power is present the inverter "passes through" that 120v supply to the breaker panel. When 120v is not present then the inverter automatically switches to battery supply, inverts 12v to 120v and supplies the same breaker panel.

This allows you to have a single outlet that is powered by shore power when available, otherwise will automatically fail over to inverted battery power.

No need to plug the TV/DVD into a different outlet for inverter-supplied 120v power.

PS - a transfer switch has a similar outcome, however is wired differently and requires separate hardware from the inverter.
Totally understand now! Thanks for taking the time to explain it in more detail!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 12,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
A pass through inverter powers one or more 120v circuits in the trailer. The front side of the inverter is connected to the breaker panel which provides power to whatever is on the circuit (TV, DVD, etc..). The backside of the inverter is connected to 120v shore power and 12v battery power on 2 separate lines obviously.

When 120v shore power is present the inverter "passes through" that 120v supply to the breaker panel. When 120v is not present then the inverter automatically switches to battery supply, inverts 12v to 120v and supplies the same breaker panel.

This allows you to have a single outlet that is powered by shore power when available, otherwise will automatically fail over to inverted battery power.

No need to plug the TV/DVD into a different outlet for inverter-supplied 120v power.

PS - a transfer switch has a similar outcome, however is wired differently and requires separate hardware from the inverter.
Hi

So an inverter that is advertised as "integrated transfer switch" is different than and inverter that is advertised as "pass thru feature" ?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #13
Site Team
 
wulfraat's Avatar

 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,268
Images: 1
I'm not sure if they are the same. That is a question for Lewster.

Generally speaking a transfer switch has a time delay before switching sources.

My GoPower transfer switch takes about 5 seconds to activate / switch sources.

A true "hybrid" inverter which also happens to have pass thru capability is instantaneous switch over (milliseconds).

I'm not sure if there are "pass thru" inverters that are not hybrid (ability to supplement shore power with battery power)
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #14
Site Team
 
wulfraat's Avatar

 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,268
Images: 1
I'm not sure if they are the same. That is a question for Lewster.

Generally speaking a transfer switch has a time delay before switching sources.

My GoPower transfer switch takes about 5 seconds to activate / switch sources when 120volts shore power goes dark.

A true "hybrid" inverter (ability to supplement shore power 120volt current with inverted battery current) with pass thru capability is instantaneous switch over (milliseconds).

I'm not sure if there are pass thru inverters that are not hybrid but yet provide uninterrupted cut over.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When to order a new Classic 30 (2017 or 2018) cetanorak 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths) 10 06-19-2017 07:56 PM
2018 models theBSLodge2 Our Community 1 05-14-2017 08:42 PM
New colors for 2018 hostage46 2009-2015 Flying Cloud 6 04-08-2017 09:52 AM
2018 New AS's...taking orders now? gypsydad Our Community 1 03-18-2017 11:12 AM
2009 Airstreams - Web Site for Models PeeWee Off Topic Forum 0 10-01-2008 10:33 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.