Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kelly , Wyoming
Need To Take Extra Frozen Food

Need to take some frozen foods (for up to ten days), which exceeds our trailer's freezer capacity so I'am thinking a standard Igloo cooler with dry ice, a fancy Yeti type cooler (which realy get mixed reviews) or an even more expensive over the road 12v freezer/frig like Engle, Luna, Edgestar or ARB.

My experience in Horse Packing is that the standard igloo type only last two or three days no matter what because they mostly have little or no insulation in the lid. So we long ago stopped trying tom pack anything needing to stay cold longer than three days.

But this is a new day, so we'd love to hear any suggestions you have!

Thanks!
DumOleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Greenwood Village , Colorado
I own 4 Yeti's from the Roadie to the big 110. Their is a reason I own 4, they are the best cooler out there. The only one that can hold dry ice, the others will split and crack and also not stay cold. If you get the cooler cold for 24 hours than add cold items it will last with dry ice at bottom and than a few bags of ice for up to 7 days. Once that melts just drain and add and you should be just fine. Only reason people knock a Yeti is the cost. At about $450 each people think the $80 is just as good, not possible
sunahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
In your situation, I would suggest buying the freezer. That also gives you options in the future and you do not have to worry about the ice melting.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
My vote is for the Yeti.
Thanks to a thread about 2 years ago, we bought a smaller model trailer, and a Yeti.

Check out this thread for more info on this.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...LIvfWaYZattMnA

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The Pelican line of super coolers is made in the USA, and the user reviews are favorable, highlighting in part the more secure latches/handles.

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product...-duty-coolers/

For example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Our tow vehicle is a full-sized van, and we intend to get a couple of Pelican coolers as back-up for both cold and dry-ice frozen storage this summer.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
What ever you end up with make sure you Precool it the day before.

Have you considered a peltier cooler. I have used mine with ice cubes in it and near frozen the sodas. if you had dry ice on the bottom I would think it would keep things frozen till the dry ice evaporated. No water to mess with.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
We use a small Engel along with a cooler (yeti) on the boat at Lake Powell. Both are excellent. Either should work for you. If you go with a cooler, make sure you fill it completely, even if that means taking up airspace with crumpled paper. The Yeti will handle dry ice fine.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
We bought a 50 qt ARB last summer, and love it. We use it mostly in combination with a truck mounted camper where it sits on the back seat, but we will also use it with the Airstream if needed. The only downside is that you need to power it with either AC or DC. Our truck has a factory AC outlet on the dash that we plug into while driving. When we camp, I plug into the DC on the camper since it charges with solar. It will definitely keep food frozen, if you can power it.

If you don't have the means to power it, then the Yeti (type) and dry ice may work best. I have used dry ice with a standard cooler while hauling game meat across several states in warm weather. The meat was not frozen when I started, but some of it was frozen when I got home. I was impressed how well it worked. I have never owned a Yeti, but have heard great things about them from a friend who uses them on rafting trips.
Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Do you want to eat the frozen food during the trip? If so pack it with dry ice. It will last 2 or 3 days but if you have one of the super insulated coolers, food will stay frozen for a long time and stay cold and fresh for a week or more.
If you want the food to be frozen at the end of your trip, you will have to add dry ice periodically. It is available at most large grocery stores for about a dollar a pound. Ten or more pounds are necessary for a large cooler.
We have a Yeti and have mixed feelings about it. It is by far the best built cooler and will outlast lesser coolers by years. It is virtually bear proof. It is also the best insulated.
Cons are it is heavy and expensive.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What size fridge do you have?

If you take the products out of the package and reseal in freezer bags you could save some space.

Kelvin
Old 02-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yeti.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
Ditto ... Yeti. Pre-cool before using makes a big difference. And pack smart - put the items you won't need immediately in the Yeti cooler and don't open for as long as you can. Opening regularly will reduce the time it keeps cold. Haven't tried the Yeti Ice bricks yet. Has anyone had any experience with them?
Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
That's a lot of frozen food.. I'd look into adjusting the menu as an easier solution.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #14
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Another thought for your cooler, regardless of brand. Line the inside with Reflectix, and make a Reflectix cover for the outside.

As mentioned above, pre cooling is a plus!
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
I purchased a small Engel for our sailboat and the Airstream. We have solar on the boat and our 2014 25' FC. We store the freezer under the table. Filled it with steaks, chicken, lamb, pork and shrimp before we departed for 3 mos in the Maritimes.
During the day I turned it up to the highest setting, at night the lowest freezer setting. Cloudy days, I used my CPAP battery. Also have a couple of Honda 2000's
Tan Son Nhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have two Yetis and love them. Precooling is important for best results. We also have the Yeti Ice and the Yeti tumblers which are fantastic for keeping your drinks cold or your coffee hot.

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Cincinnati , Ohio
Be careful about using dry ice in an enclosed space.
Richard Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Go with a fridge freezer

Yes, it has a higher upfront cost, but you will never again have to purchase ice or dry ice, worry about soggy items in melted ice, etc. We bought a 50 qt. ARB last year and mounted it in a temporary rig in the back seat area of my Tundra. It runs great off of the 12V during the day (I bought a Goal Zero 400 to keep things cool while we are out hiking during the day or when boondocking at night). It can operate as a freezer (you intended use at first), but then as a fridge or freezer as your needs dictate in the future. We love to have access to cool drinks while on the road, and have cold water and lunch items while the Airstream is parked and we are out hiking and exploring whatever area our travels take us. It is great coming back to the truck after hiking in the desert and have ice cold beverages waiting, while never having to worry about ice on a daily basis in the desert.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Cold goes down heat rises , so I always put frozen or cold foods on the bottom of any type of cooler, and then use dry ice or use bagged ice in zip locks on top. The melted ice (water) is then easily poured into my drink yetis, so refreshing. Want carbonation in your juice add a small piece of dry ice (MAKE SURE IT MELTS BEFORE YOU DRINK your carbonated juice), so you don't get any dry ice pieces in your body.
Freezer burns are dangerous. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
shioloh , Illinois
In reguards to freezing food for a long week;may I sugest even cooking meats. I precook hamburger, shredded pork etc, I marinate chicken as well. I put it into pre portioned ziplock bags and freeze flat on cookie sheet. Then it stacks nicely in freezer.
KpEfonthego is offline   Reply With Quote