Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Mapping Application

Since purchasing our AS last spring we have been searching for some kind of a mapping tool, atlas, or other means to aid in identifying public land boundaries. Here in the west, there are often privately owned parcels interspersed within public lands with no obvious boundaries. As an example, there are two major rivers in N Idaho that offer wonderful boon docking opportunities but as one drives along there are seldom signs or other guides that will add in determining land ownership.

We purchased some maps and atlases only to find that the scale was such as to render them of very little use in locating potential boon docking sites. Up until now, we have followed the advice given on this forum and sought information from locals which has led us to some great locations and some that were not so great.

A friend just introduced us to a mapping application that appears to be what we have been seeking. It is available to run on iOS, Android, or on a PC via the web. The application can display up to 5 different maps overlaid upon each other and the user can select these from an assortment of topo maps, street maps, satellite imagery, and overlays that depict private and public lands. The GPS in your phone/tablet will, of course, show your present position. If you are going into an area of questionable cell reception, you can download areas of interest to your device. The application also provides the ability to print out paper maps for those who prefer that medium.

The application is called Gaia GPS and more information can be found at gaiagps.com. The application for your device is free and access to the maps is available on two levels. Basic access is $19.99 USD / year and Premium Access (which provides additional maps and overlays including the parcel ownership ones) is $39.99 USD / year.

Here is a link to a limited time promo which will give you full, unrestricted access to the premium content for 90 days: https://www.gaiagps.com/premium/?PROMO=GAIAGPSonXHunt

I have no connection to or relationship with the developer other than as a user of his product. If you elect to try this mapping application and have any questions about it’s usage you can contact the developer directly at copeland@gaiagps.com. I have found him to be very quick to respond and very helpful. Or, please feel free to PM me and I'll help as best I can.

Here are a couple of screenshots of some BLM land along some rivers that we are going to go check out for boon docking potential.

https://i.imgur.com/aS0031L.jpg

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
I get irritated by subscriptions for software. I used Gaia a lot in the past but deleted it when they switched to a subscription model.
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Jones View Post
I get irritated by subscriptions for software. I used Gaia a lot in the past but deleted it when they switched to a subscription model.
I'm not a fan of the software subscription model either and, where I can I use something else. Darktable rather than Lightroom, Affinity Photo rather than Photohop, etc. I do, however, understand the dilemma of the software companies. In order to stay in business they need a revenue stream. They cannot continue to provide map updates and/or support without income. Some companies such as Adobe, Quicken and Microsoft have tried to solve this problem by adding features and then selling the new version. The problem with that approach is that eventually you run our of meaningful or useful new features and start adding stuff nobody wants. Then the well starts to run dry. The navigation software in my wife's Rubicon is seriously out of date and the vendor wants over $100 to update it. If it were $20-$30 I would do so but the current upgrade price is more than I'm willing to spend,

That said, I have yet to find an application or printed material that will adequately define public lands that is not subscription based. I'm also not real keen on heading out for a multi hour journey towing my AS to a potential destination based upon maps that may be several years old. Perhaps I'm mistaken but I am under the assumption that what I'm receiving for my subscription money is up to date information.

If you know of a non-subscription alternative I'd be very interested.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
Old 02-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
The folks at Technomadia have created an app called, appropriately enough, US Public Lands. The low resolution version has no subscription, the high res version has a modest subscription.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
The folks at Technomadia have created an app called, appropriately enough, US Public Lands. The low resolution version has no subscription, the high res version has a modest subscription.
Thanks Dale. That looks even better. I’ll give it a try.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
Old 02-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
For an application that can convert a map to one that sets your position relative to your map take look at "custom maps", I use it on my android cell phone. Playstore app, help web page: www.custommapapps.com

It will calibrate a map to your cell phone showing your position on the map. This is accomplished by the user aligning the new map to Google earth images. Once calibrated your cell phone only needs to use its GPS no cell phone data is necessary.

I use it on hiking trails, and on the job I mapped eleven forested miles of transmission lines to keep track of where the TL could be accessed.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 06:10 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
PHOENIX , Arizona
Any one have a suggestion for map software that I can share my route with someone?
aquagarrett is offline   Reply With Quote