Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead1984 View Post
We are signing today. Mother’s Day.
Our TV is a VW Touareg V6. Capacity 7800 lbs. it would be better with a diesel but we found this one. This one of the more popular TV in Europe. It is the same as the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7. It may have a little struggle on steep grades. It is our only vehicle. We went to one vehicle. If it does not do the job, we will go Diesel.

I also need a generator that runs on propane. Thanks for the recommendation. I like the Honda’s but pricey and not sure how to convert to gas
E
Congratulations on your new Airstream!

You might want to check out threads on towing with a Touareg then reach out to Andy at Can-Am about modifying the hitch to support the 25' tongue weight. He's set up many of the European SUV's to tow Airstreams (he's also an AS dealer).

We started with a 2016 Touareg TDI and a FC23FB; it towed like a dream and got 16 MPG. We originally wanted a 25' FC but the 900 lbs. (actual) tongue weight made us reconsider. We should have gone with the 25' and replaced the Touareg because we hated the FC23FB's dinette. We now have a 27' Globetrotter and a RAM 2500.

Give Andy a call and then decide if you want to stick with the Touareg. It's a great tow vehicle with four wheel independent suspension, 4 piston calipers and short rear overhang. That said, as others have stated, you're limited by your payload (which includes your tongue weight. Our Touareg had 1168 lbs. payload. Our RAM has 2940 lbs. We no longer worry about payload...

Good luck!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
In calculating cargo weight for your tow vehicle, be aware a weight distributing hitch just does that. It shifts weight forward on the tow vehicle to the front wheels and roughly 1/3 of the weight goes to the trailer axles (2/3 forward, 1/3 back). The 25' has understated the tongue wt. for years. Some years in Airstream promotional literature it has given two or three different weights. All are lower than reality. I never did weigh mine, but if you load more on the tongue or right in front of the trailer, tongue wt. will even be more. Best to check discussions of this topic. Your head will be spinning.

This all has a steep learning curve and you will make mistakes (we all do) and eventually you can pontificate here just like the rest of us.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:48 AM   #23
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Speaking of tongue weights I have had mine checked when we had solar panels installed and AGM batteries moved inboard below the couch. Before, with full 40# propane tanks (2) TW was 880#. After batteries re-located TW 800# on our 30' Excella.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:56 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Orange , California
Quote:
We put a deposit down on a 2020 Flying Cloud 25' rear twin. Not final, and we never planed to buy a new one, but after looking for months, we went to compare the 23' vs 25' at our local dealer, and bang. The 25 was just perfect for us, and we plunked down a deposit to hold it. Gulp.

My daughter and grandsons live in Missoula, Montana. I retired from the Forest Service a few years back and have worked in Montana, Idaho, Alaska, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania. I am very familiar with NW Montana - having been Forest Supervisor of the Flathead. At the time, all roads were open and you could camp any place you wanted to camp. Today, a lot of the roads are gated to protect Grizzly Bears. But I know a lot are open.

Here is my question: What service installed options should I consider before I take this off the lot? Given that we plan to spend the summers in Montana, and winters in Florida, what options are good for boon docking? Should I have the Dexter lift package installed (raises 3"), generators, what ever. I know there is so much on the site, and I have been spending a few hours each day noodling, I thought I would ask a few questions.

Ed and Kathe Brannon
We got the lift kit=Great! Solar? NOT! I don't want the extra holes and weight on the roof. Also, every time we search for a nice site for the trailer, we usually look for a shaded area. Shade is not Solar's friend. I personally feel a 2K generator has more benefits than solar. Also of note; our 25' Flying Cloud has two A/C's, so roof space is limited. Our friends have a MH with Solar panels all across the roof and we hear them start their on board genset to run the A/C. Go figure. I'll take the extra A/C over Solar any time. MHO
Big Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:09 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
A werd of caution...following external acquisition advise may result in acquiring things you will never need.

Everything I found that I needed I learned by not having it.🤔

Bob
🇺🇸

“Its better to have what you don't need when you need it, than not to have it when you don’t.”
RLC
---------------------------------------

Solar.....360w Zamp portable.👍
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2bdc.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	368283  
Old 05-19-2020, 07:21 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thunder View Post
We got the lift kit=Great! Solar? NOT! I don't want the extra holes and weight on the roof. Also, every time we search for a nice site for the trailer, we usually look for a shaded area. Shade is not Solar's friend. I personally feel a 2K generator has more benefits than solar. Also of note; our 25' Flying Cloud has two A/C's, so roof space is limited. Our friends have a MH with Solar panels all across the roof and we hear them start their on board genset to run the A/C. Go figure. I'll take the extra A/C over Solar any time. MHO
Check out AM Solar in Oregon. There is zero holes drilled when installing Solar.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We had AM Solar panels installed on our roof with two sided industrial strength tape and while I was skeptical, they never budged for the approximately 8 years we had the trailer with those panels. They were installed by Lew Farber who has had a solar RV business in Hood River, Oregon, for a number of years. I haven't been in touch with Lew for a few years, but he did good work. He was still working there in 2019 and winters in Naples, Fla. We also got Lifeline batteries through him and they lasted for that same period and may still be working so far as I know. I also replaced the cheap battery killing OEM converter with a better one.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
lake Wales , Florida
Thanks for all the excellent advice. I have made a number of changes and am WAY Over my budget! But next on my list maybe changing out the batteries for Lithium. See how it works this summer. Next summer will be a long Western swing and I have added Eugene to my itinerary.
Flathead1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
lake Wales , Florida
Have not even pick up FC 25 rbt and already ploting alterations. Probably will convert to lithium batteries in future and install under rear bed. This might allow me to convert existing battery sTorage to a place for my Honda 2200i. Hmmm. Anyone done this?
Flathead1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #30
Tamaroak

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
Quote:
Have not even pick up FC 25 rbt and already ploting alterations. Probably will convert to lithium batteries in future and install under rear bed. This might allow me to convert existing battery sTorage to a place for my Honda 2200i. Hmmm. Anyone done this?

We have a 2019 25’ RBT FC. Battery box is 15 w 12” high 13.5 deep. My Westinghouse 2500 would not fit but would fit on top. Battery box is big enough for 2 Trojan t-125 6v, a big improvement over stock
Tamaroak is offline   Reply With Quote