Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kelly , Wyoming
I had two propane bottle and two batteries stolen, along with the plastic cases, and straps while on a lot at a repair shop. Thankful, the shop did make the loss good, but it took some time and aggravation on both our parts. The theory was some very poor folks live in RVs during the winter even in Idaho and stealing these things keeps them from freezing. The shop had had no losses in almost thirty years at that location. Anyway, I'm going to at least run some chain to discourage their.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
DumOleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
This is what I did on our 1993 Sovereign.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1424826826181.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	233061  
thad1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #23
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thad1947 View Post
This is what I did on our 1993 Sovereign.
I did the same, except that I have 30# tanks and I have to install the padlock upside down.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumOleBob View Post
I had two propane bottle and two batteries stolen, along with the plastic cases, and straps while on a lot at a repair shop. Thankful, the shop did make the loss good, but it took some time and aggravation on both our parts. The theory was some very poor folks live in RVs during the winter even in Idaho and stealing these things keeps them from freezing. The shop had had no losses in almost thirty years at that location. Anyway, I'm going to at least run some chain to discourage their.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

People don't steal because they are poor, they steal because they are thieves. Fortunately, the risk of losing something is very low when you are boondocking, few people around and those that are don't normally steal. I am much more worried when I am in a campground or in storage. Like some of the others here, I am more worried about the damage a thief would do than the actual theft.

When I am boondocking I lock my trailer, but I leave my BBQ, table and chairs out. I've never had a problem. In a campground I lock everything up.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #25
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
One of my faults is I am entirely too honest and I assume everyone else is also. I seldom lock anything up. So far no problems.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
One of my faults is I am entirely too honest and I assume everyone else is also. I seldom lock anything up. So far no problems.
Who would like to live ant other way?
jmallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #27
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallgood View Post
Who would like to live ant other way?
I disagree! My Airstream was broken into and totally trashed a while back. Police know who the culprits were, but have no hard evidence to arrest them. Not only were many personal items stolen, but I stlll feel violated and apprehensive that it may reoccur. I now have installed a car alarm on the Airstream in hopes of, at least, reducing the probability of that happening again.

You don't know how it feels until you are the victim..
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
The Airstream Store sells the Fortress Propane Tank Lock. This locks the cover down. A bit more in price than the do it yourself version shown on here.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote