Old 03-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
LIGHTING Inside, while OTG

Have my Mr. Buddy Catalytic Heater 7K/9K for Spring and Fall Boondocking. Tested. It works as described. Morning warm up and lighting... too. Thalweg on a Wyoming Adventure survived using his Mr. Buddy, so that was encouraging evidence. He is known to be a risk adverse pioneer in heating indoors.

For those who do not want to trip over a dog when walking down the hallway of your Airstream in the middle of the night... dig into your pocket for a couple loose Dollar Bills, more if Canadian these days... and get a CANDLE. Scented, or not. Cinnamon scent may be better than Blue Heller, as a side benefit.

This is to be a second new addition to our 'OTG fill the trailer' campaign. Mr. Buddy was my latest, first new addition.

Put the candle onto a small plate to catch melting wax. You do not need a higher lumen light. It is amazing how a candle can literally... light up your life... when camped. A large diameter candle is stable and if you save the wax that remains... no doubt can add a string and make a homemade candle.

Spelunking we used miner's caps with the Acetylene Miners Lamp. These were used in Coal Mines, at first, to reduce methane explosions using... candles. Somehow I do not expect an abundance of methane, as there are only two people and two Blue Heeler dogs. Explosions are not expected. Although, acetylene did not seem to put out any odors... but the bright lumen output would keep everyone awake and you have to refill with Calcium Carbide.

Now that Costco is out of Toilet Paper and Water... it is safe to say that maybe WalMart has the candle part of the market. Anyone tried this out? Costco would sell a SIX PACK weighing pounds if they offered candles that large.

Kerosene lanterns are out. Those are too pre 1960 and the stench... is permanent. So do not bring them up.

Battery powered lantern. Batteries are more expensive than candles. The lanterns are too bright. The batteries die just after you use them on the second trip, anyways.

Did I miss anything? Just tightening things up for the Season. Heat and Light are taken care of. Any additions to the 'short list'?

Don't forget matches. Got to get that onto my list. Gee... one more thing to add.

Old 03-14-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Prior to getting the Buddy heater, I read about a system of heating with candles with terracotta flower pots suspended over them to conduct the heat. Everyone said that it was amazing how much heat it would put out. So I rigged up a way to hang flower pots over a tray full of candles. I bought a case of tea candles and must have had 20 of them lit under the pots. It put off nice light, and if you put your hand about an inch away from the pot, you could almost feel a temperature differential. Next stop...Buddy heater. Does anyone need a case of tea candles?

Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Airstream Options Gone By

In archaic times an Airstream option was a propane fueled catalytic heater. 'Course, you couldn't move it, but if you hit a bunch of potholes, it didn't bounce around the cabin either.

That catalytic heater is sorely missed. The kids say we can't have it back.

Even further back you could get propane lighting. Kept things warm, too, so not good on a hot summer night, but definitely a battery saver and great for Fall camping.

Don't forget extra mantles.

Candles didn't work out too well. During the summer they would melt. You wouldn't know that until you wanted to use one and found a melted mess solidified in the drawer bottom.

The absence of these 'options' now illustrates the trajectory of Airstreaming--from SOP that would now be called boondocking to full hook-ups which makes these niceties obsolete. Well, except for a few. You know who you are, you match and mantle packers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1067v2.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	363277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Humphrey Gas Lamp.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	363278  

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Rome to Medieval Britain to Airstream living in 60 seconds

- When in Rome, do as the Romans... did.

They used oil lamps and candles.

- When in Medieval Britain do as they... did.

When it became dark, they went to bed after sundown. Muggings were rampant at night in those days... like, well some places I will not say today.

- When in your Airstream do as they... do.

Fire up the Generator. Access the Lithium and Solar power plant. Party all night and dance under exterior LED's until Dawn. Sleep all day and bump into things at night.

After two weeks, vacation is finished. Occupants are exhausted. All of the vacation savings have been well spent. Time to return to work and save up for the next two week vacation and... repeat.

But... next time, bring candles. They work when nothing else will.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
SilverFire

2007 19' Bambi
EUGENE , OR
Candles for OTG use: Bad Program

Unless candles are the only thing you have the small inflatable handheld solar lights provide more light and are more environmentally friendly. I'd re-think using any candles in an AS for OTG use.

Modern day candles though are made from paraffin wax. These are fairly long chains of hydrocarbons. They're oil based, burning those, you're burning a fossil fuel, so they're not so good for the environment. ... They are running very cold, they're not completely burning, you get quite a lot of soot out on top of them.

Luci lights and knockoffs are inexpensive and there are a wide variety of models. The String lights are fantastic for the awnings and the frosted Lux are best for reading (warmer light) and the Outdoor models great for projects (colder, blue light). Newer more powerful models can top off cell phones with USB cord too. Wide range of options and models.

We use them at our OTG trade shows, and recreational use in our AS.
SilverFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
My Candle use will eventually KILL Me

That explains why people who used candles for interior lighting are all DEAD today.

The chemicals and energy used to create... SAFETY... is far worse than a candle.

We had Bee's Wax in Montana. A byproduct of needing bees to pollinate the Spring Bloom of cherries and whatever else we ATE. Nothing like a candle with bee heads and parts...

A candle costs very little. I am sure that when I die, it will be due to Candle Abuse. Not from chemicals in the air to produce all of the things I really do not need, nor ever wanted.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Just like at home, I wouldn't leave candles lit while sleeping. That is one unnecessary risk not worth taking for ANY reason.
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Candles are also great boondocking entertainment for when you run into guys like Ray. Playing the old “lets see who can hold their hand over the flame the longest” game is loads of fun!
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
Candles are also great boondocking entertainment for when you run into guys like Ray. Playing the old “lets see who can hold their hand over the flame the longest” game is loads of fun!

Oh no. That is for the dumbest of the group. He was the first... and the last one to fall for it.

We did the 'PINCH' to put the flame out on the candle. Still works today. A little spit and go for it.

Risk leaving a lit candle overnight...? The candle is not resting upon a flammable substance. Miners even lived with candle power mining for hundreds of years. We had candles for lighting as a kid.

Most house fires are due to carbon buildup in the chimney. Not candles. If you walk too fast near an unprotected candle flame... it went out. That is why... shock to some of you, that a candle is very comfortable in a CANDLE holder with a clear lantern glass to protect the flame.

I actually have two sterling silver holders with nicely decorated glass lanterns. An actual TWO watts if I want, or do not want, to use it.

Some humans are a protected species. Not the lit candle.

Not the other way around.

Somehow I have hijacked my own Thread for my own amusement. Like a Cat playing with a live Mouse.

Nancy mentioned some Thread she was reading about a propane heater and people thought she was trying to kill herself and family. Yes... those who have 200 rolls of toilet paper and twenty cases of bottled water are in town and on the Forum. Just put the ZZZZzzzz smog out there and move on. There is no cure for what we are seeing during the 'Atomic Age'.