Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 04:53 PM   #201
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
have to say this thread, while long, has been quite an interesting one for sure. all the going back and forth on what is compost and how long it take to compost. whether pee is sanitary or not etc.

the comments have been interesting for sure..

Now for the video of the girl with the horrible looking compost, mud like, and admitting she did know know about that **** as in how to hook up the fan..

sometime you wonder how they walk down the street and not get run over.

I want to THANK bold adventure and his family for sharing their travels and in this case compost toilet adventure.

I have read about diverting the urine and in looking at my unit, 2005 classic 30D model it seem the best way to do that is tap into the drain line from sink to gray tank vs the black tank..

with the dilution of the urine and being able to use both tanks for drain water etc. what issues would that create?. I know the gray water designation would be a bit different, but with all the regular drain water I feel it would not be all that big a deal.

was going to put a tee in the line to put urine drain into that. it below the p=trap under sink.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:37 PM   #202
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I know everyone wants to know about diverting the pee to some place where they don't have to carry a jug outside all the time. Post up the details when you figure it out.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:58 AM   #203
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
I know that the composing toilet high seat height is already an issue. But what about somehow using the fact that the toilet sits right over the old toilet's black tank fitting? You could add a collar or spacer over the floor flange and tap into its side to accept a 1/2" flex hose. Have the flex hose go into a manual shutoff valve and then into the lower side of the pee container. Once the pee container got to a certain level you would open up the shutoff valve and drain most of the pee into the black tank. Then you would shut it to ensure that no black tank odor/gas would escape into the bathroom.

Another way would be to hook up this flex hose to the black tank's vent pipe. On our 19' FC this is a sloped pipe sitting nicely behind our composting toilet. Cut in and place a "T" or such fitting and route the flex hose to aim it down the slope into the black water tank. The biggest issue would be to seal up the transition from the flex pipe to the black ABS pipe. You don't want any more stinky gas in the bathroom than that caused by the baked beans!

Personally we just have multiple pee containers and take them all into the park's bathroom facilities when we leave.
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:56 AM   #204
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
pee tank

The pee tank was extremely foul smelling especially without a fan or peat moss in the main bin. This was probably because some piss would get into that area and we had nothing inside. Still haven't crapped in the toilet yet. Waiting till I get a door on the bathroom..just in case. I can tell you that the smell of nasty urine has gone away since I installed the fan and added the peat moss. Im very anxious to try out number 2. The second jug is a waste of money in my mind and just takes up space. Its simple to pop out and empty. Last thing I want in my trailer is a jug full of nasty piss. Cheers
Stanley29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #205
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air83 View Post
Has anyone tried to divert the urine to the black tank? Maybe place a hose and funnel under the toilet ring, instead of the urine bottle and put that liquid into the black tank. I’m thinking with vinegar also in the black tank to cut down odors this would work.
We modified our plumbing so that the black tank can also accept gray water, which extends our boondocking limits. We wouldn't want to start mixing urine into it as well, which kind of defeats the purpose of the composting toilet. Usually there's a place to dump urine gracefully, if not the best bet is to keep a spare NH pee jug handy and just store it a little longer.
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:12 AM   #206
25' Custom Dog Kennel

2016 25' International
Argyle , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Found ourselves sitting around the campfire this weekend taking about NH toilets and the possibility of getting one into our empty shell Ambassador. We have new tanks underneath but no spin welds yet and no holes in floor.

Lots of possibilities.
Go for it! NH toilet is amazing product that provides fantastic solution. Use your tanks to double grey water collection. I was sceptical at first but now I'm a huge fan!
drl0073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:11 AM   #207
25' Custom Dog Kennel

2016 25' International
Argyle , Texas
Before I got my NH I looked at all the "Gone With The Wynns" videos. I really couldn't believe it could be so simple and "un" stinky. I decided to take a chance and install one in my 25' International Signature (2016). It lived, unused, in my garage for several months because I was scared of messing up my new trailer with an installation I felt incapable of performing. As fate would have it, jay before a two week boondocking trip, I discovered the toilet that came with my unit was defective and that's where all the sewer smell in my trailer was coming from no matter how many treatment packets I dumped onto the black water tank. The seal was rocker opening was broken and not sealing. So, only hours before I was supposed to leave on this huge trip out to Burning Man, I took on the install. I carefully assembled a list of needed materials and completed the install with only one trip to the hardware store. The whole thing took less than a couple of hours. I had purchased the 110 adapter for the fan and ran my fan temporarily off the inverter. Later, I had a pro install the an line to the 12 volt system.

Some lessons I learned: a guest user can really screw up the system. I had a female user who thought she could dispose of toilet paper down the liquids hole even though I thought I had instructed her thoroughly in proper use. This mistake plugged up the flow of the urine passage and really confused me until I got the unit home and deducted the problem.

Ok: apart from the user error, this system does everything perfectly. It's an actual joy to use it knowing that I'm not burning through all my water. All that water is conserved for better use. I've not doubled the two tanks but intend to do so. There is zero smell. Clean up after usage is easier than my toilet at home. Usually the solid waste drops through the opening without any post usage cleanup. A couple skirts of water from the included sprayer usually does the trick. Emptying has not been a big deal. After reconstituting the coconut coir it's important to let it dry out.

I love this unit. Makes using the restroom in the trailer a pleasant experience. I'm using a packet of black tank treatment in the urine bottle and disposing it in the sewer system. I'm not a die hard greenie. I'm really more concerned with ease of use and the utility of being able to boondock carefree.

Bottom line: as a single user in my trailer I would have it no other way.

Hope this helps.
drl0073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #208

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
@BoldAdventure

We are looking to install the nature's head in our 2011 International Serenity RBQ 28' and am hesitant to tear out the false wall. I can't easily see how it is built or how I will put it back together. Unfortunately, the images of your install aren't working anymore for me on this thread. I would love to see the finished product if possible?

Thank you!
Trent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
With all the boondocking we love to do, those trips to the dump were becoming a real drag. My least favorite activity is personal time with the ol’ stinky slinky.

So a few months ago we started talking about composting our poo. And last week we decided to purchase a Natures Head composting toilet. What’s a composting toilet, and why would we ever do such a thing?

Well you can read about that, and the details of our installation on our blog here: https://boldandadventurous.com/Insta...osting-Toilet/

Needless to say, we're very happy with the end result. And yes; we've already "christen" the new loo.

Some photos of the end results:

The great thing about the composting toilet is no more flushing fresh water down the toilet (pun intended) - And now our stay won't be limited by how long it takes to fill our black tanks.
fiddlefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:43 PM   #209
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Good questions, but BoldAdventure hasn't posted to the forum since 04-04-2016 at 06:42 PM. So, I can't promise they will see this.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, composting toilet, diy, natures head, toilet