Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2023, 06:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , WA
Smile Jackery - Boondocking Bambi 22FB with Explorer 2000 Plus Kit

Hi all,

I've done a bunch of research into Jackery and thought I'd knowledge share for anyone else who is interested in this product. I am not sponsored by Jackery - just honest assessment from dude new to RV life (like 2 months in).

As of today (products may be updated - check website), the best option for boondocking out of all the generators that they sell is the 2000 Plus. The reason for this is simply storage - the 2000 Plus gives the option of expanding the capacity up to 12 KWH from a single generator (with 5 expansions) or 24 KWH from 2 generators.

But does it work? Well, I have tested with Bambi 22FB (30 Amp for those unfamiliar) and it worked! I tested with just vents, heat and refrigerator running - with the 4 KWH storage I had, it said it would have lasted 45 hours - I ran for 3 hours with no issues before switching back to outlet.

HOWEVER, if you run the dometic that 24 hours of capacity quickly drops down to 1.5 hours of capacity. So it really is limited if you're going to expect to us the AC or microwave regularly. However, if you are a power sipper and have ability to recharge through solar, I'm sure you could last a LONG time with this set up.

I included screenshots of the app. Feel free to reach out with questions and I'll do my best to answer based on my experience.

I look forward to actually, you know, boondocking to test and let you know how it goes. I wanted to get comfortable with regular RV before attempting boondocking (only gone on 3 trips since I bought last month).

Looking forward to discussion and advice. Thanks for all your help along the way, community!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jackery.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	438972   Click image for larger version

Name:	jacker app - no dometic.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	438973  

Click image for larger version

Name:	jackery app with dometic.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	438974  
CouvDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 09:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
That's a big package. What's it weigh?
I considered a smaller Jackery to power an electric blanket on chilly nights and recharge with a solar suitcase.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 06:18 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , WA
Weight

It's not light at all! It's 60 lbs for the main generator then 40 lbs for each 2 KWH expansion pack. So yeah - 100 lbs of added carry weight. So I keep in my tow vehicle.

The upside to Jackery to like a gas one is that it's super quiet. Like running a laptop. The downside is the capacity - it's not like you can add gas and keep it going a long time.

My brother has the little guy (290)and likes it for short camping trips. He usually uses it for recharging phone, electric kettle, etc. Not sure the amount of energy an electric blanket uses, but if you can find that out you can determine the capacity you'd need by multiplying that hourly output by the number of hours you'd need it..

Also, you don't need solar panels for Jackery as you can charge from an outlet when you get home or on shore power. I know Costco has deals on Jackery on occasion - I would have bought there because I LOVE Costco, but they didn't have the 2000 plus there.

I did so much research on this - happy to provide other insights or feedback.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Why not just get a proven Honda EU2000. That will run the AC if you should needed and you do not have to go home to charge it.
I get that it’s quiet but it’s a battery. Most batteries are quiet.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 09:31 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , WA
Hey Shiny - because I don't want to deal with hauling gasoline. It's smelly and gross and since I'm in an airstream, I'm clearly a very delicate camper.

Seriously though, I'd totally check that out if I was open to gasoline as a power source. I wanted a solar option that wasn't built in so I wasn't stuck with Airstream technology or paying WAY too much for lithium batteries at the dealership. There's quite a few reasons I chose this route.
Old 11-25-2023, 05:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouvDude View Post
Hey Shiny - because I don't want to deal with hauling gasoline. It's smelly and gross and since I'm in an airstream, I'm clearly a very delicate camper.

Seriously though, I'd totally check that out if I was open to gasoline as a power source. I wanted a solar option that wasn't built in so I wasn't stuck with Airstream technology or paying WAY too much for lithium batteries at the dealership. There's quite a few reasons I chose this route.
Many on here have the EU2000 converted to propane which you would already have onboard. Iím not trying to be argumentative. Iím just trying to understand the advantage of the Jackery over a decent generator and some quality installed lithium batteries.
It really seems to be just a well packaged battery with a built in charger.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 10:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Keeping the lights (and so much more) on is a balancing act between investment, user management, and weight. We are not boondockers. Our needs are simpler, but we still would want to be comfortable in the event of a power failure, either at a campground or at home.
We have a propane fueled Honda that I could hook up to the trailer tanks (or stow an extra tank in the bed) to run the A/C. We also have a 2000 watt/ 1.2kWhr Bluetti capable of running a home fridge alongside smaller appliances, which we top off with the Honda if needed. This combination keeps the weight down, provides flexibility, and eliminates the hassles of keeping fresh gasoline around. A medium sized battery "generator" is wonderful for keeping an electric cooler going on day trips.
For anyone looking at a Jackery, be very careful of the polarity on any 12 V power supply. You would think something this pricy and deluxe would have a polarity protection circuit. (My $30 DieHard mini battery charger has this feature, FCOL.) One of my previous power units was a Jackery, which went poof when I plugged it into a reversed lighter plug. (It had been refusing to charge, so I tried a second outlet to see if I got different results. I did.) Jackery will not repair these units, not even on the owner's dime. I'll need to find a qualified (brave) technician to execute the replacement of a $0.54 capacitor, per an online geek's Youtube video.
Have fun boondocking, CouvDude! If you are like the rest of us, this will be the first iteration of many. Keep us posted.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Jackery

Until Ronnie Dennis -Airstream Nuts and Bolts installed our upgrade to the Victron 3000 and 570 amps of Game Changer BB we were very happy with the Jackery 2000 pro.

It made rest stops more fun and occasional Harvest Hosts. AC runs it down way to fast but being able to use our Air Fryer, Coffee Keurig etc. No dragging out the Honda. It rides in the truck with us still as a emergency backup. We used it inside on the kitchen counter, outside on a table to use the AirFryer. We would sometimes use adapters and hook the trailer cord to it.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
an example

Its pouring rain and cool, You pull into a rest stop. Inside the trailer is the Jackery. There is your power supply for the 1400 watt coffee maker or Air Fryer to make dinner if you do not want to use the stove. I still carry the Honda in the truck however once we got the Jackery it rarely gets pulled out. it can run fans all night in your trailer leaving the other battery to support lights or run the furnace blower motor. Itís one of those I don't need it till you get one on sale then its used- thee are other great units beside Jackery. If the power goes out in the house I can use it inside to run the refrigerator or TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Many on here have the EU2000 converted to propane which you would already have onboard. Iím not trying to be argumentative. Iím just trying to understand the advantage of the Jackery over a decent generator and some quality installed lithium batteries.
It really seems to be just a well packaged battery with a built in charger.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 02:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Newnan , Georgia
Good input y'all. We've been thinking about going this route as an alternative to our current 2 parallel-connected Ryobi gas generators. Except we're looking at the Jackery Solar Generator 3000 Pro, with 4-6 SolarSaga 200w panels.

As former PNW folks who now live in Georgia, we get ample sun to run/charge this possible 3000 Pro. Anyone have this configuration?

Nozz
Nozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 03:50 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Mesa , Arizona
Awesome Setup.

Does the output plug into your shore power Inlet?

My concern would be leaving the unit in the cold if I were camping in extreme temps.

Have you had any time to read about the lithium BMS "operating" temperature ranges?
Old 12-16-2023, 04:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I keep looking, but not buying.

Hi, many years ago I bought a Yamaha 2400 generator for the pupose of running my micro-wave oven and/or my air conditioner when at rest stops; Also if I get caught in a place where I am forced to boondock. At the time it was the lightest single generator that could run my air conditioner. [most people used two Honda 2000's]

I made a system for my trailer so I can mount, and run, my generator from my truck's bed. Later I installed a 6 circuit transfer switch for my house to use my Yamaha 2400. Now the Yamaha stays in the bed of my truck and I bought a Firman 4000 for my house.

Much like electric cars, I believe that I would have range anxiety with something like a Jakery. [like run my air conditioner for two hours at most] I keep looking at them, but power and cost wise doesn't ad up for me yet. They will get better and I will still check them out and maybe even buy one.

Maybe they should be called "Rechargable portable power supplies" since they are not actually generators.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 05:31 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Ancient City , Florida
Does anyone have a jackery or even lithium that stays in the TV and charges during day trips and then used as a supplemental power source.
G8trwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 06:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8trwood View Post
Does anyone have a jackery or even lithium that stays in the TV and charges during day trips and then used as a supplemental power source.
Not in the TV. I have a Yeti Goal zero 1000 that stays in my RV. I added a cigarette lighter input in the RV and recharge it during the day in the RV with rooftop solar and house batteries.

I use the GZ for hair dryer / heating water for my wifeís tea / heating blanket at night / etc. whatever you need for A/c accessories inside. My Honda 2000 is mounted on the RV tongue for microwave so I donít have to pull out of my truck bed each time.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 08:16 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Ancient City , Florida
Thanks, I was think of dc-dc charging while away from camp on low solar days. I have the bigger Honda 3000 but might need to downsize at some point.
G8trwood is offline   Reply With Quote