Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Insects and Pests- Boondocking

We are packing the Trailer for the 2020 Boondocking Season.

Insects and Pests: Mosquitos, ticks, sand fleas, biting flies, hornets, wasps, yellow jackets, chiggers and boring neighbors (the biggest pest without any preventive options, other than moving on).

OFF Deep Woods Sportsmen and Sportswomen. Deet 30% the active ingredient.
All mixed up in an aerosol can with a whole lot of instructions, which the small print cannot be read... so do not ingest, spray into your eyes, nose... you know, common sense things you would not do, anyways. But... some do. Those 'pests' at the OTG Boondocking camp are an example.

For those who have encountered WASPS, YELLOW JACKETS and HORNETS, like we experienced in the High Country of Nevada. They are very protective keeping Human 'pests' away. Spectracide... Wasp & Hornet Killer 'up to 27 feet' spray! I am brave and have no fear, so I go to the source and let them have it. Works 99.9% of the time.

Hornets... repeat the above paragraph. Let the other Family Members run. They will learn how to do this correctly. Pull out stingers if you can find them in the fresh welts.

In Missouri the Yellow Jackets were nesting along a rock wall in the ground in our back yard. The same area the Copperheads like to rest against. I walked by and was stung. Wow... stings. I had Black Powder for my Black Powder rifles and poured 'an adequate amount' into the hole and a 12 inch lead on the ground and let them have it. Then stomped it shut. Took care of them.

One secret the average Non Believer of Direct Combat to stinging insects are life that need protection. Well, not among my list of protected insects.

Never, EVER... RUN away if you inadvertently upset a group of these stinging insects. Stand there like a 'shaking aspen'... at worse. A sturdy oak, better. They do not know you from a tree and go on after someone or something else. When they thin out, slowing back out and get the jeepers away.

Some of you experienced in combating Chiggers... for example. Oklahoma and Missouri come to mind, what do you use?

What experiences have YOU had in your travels? What repellant worked for you?

If you have no suggestions or comments... may the Chiggers leave their calling card on your tender flesh.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I can already sense that many if not all AirForum members want to protect insects. Honey Bees... are good. Yellow Jackets are not Honey Bees. Get your insect ID Chart out.

To avoid Mosquitos... DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT EXHALE. They sense Carbon Dioxide when you exhale. Just hold your breath, and have NO Body Heat. Then you do not need anything to repel them.

Now your turn.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I can deal with the bugs I can see, and give a wide berth to bees and wasps. It's the no-seeums that you didn't know existed until later and leave you with two weeks of scratching and oozing. Always too late for the deet. Also the tiny gnat like moths that seem to only appear at night when you turn on the trailer lights and sit down to dinner. They seem to come in through the screens or slots at the window levers.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote