Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2020, 06:19 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe View Post
I think that so far all advice you have received is good advice. I would opt for the lift kit. I was skeptical for along time, mostly due to handling concerns. But after installing mine I feel that my 25FB bottoms out a lot less. I have had no tail dragging or spare tire scraping since I lifted my trailer. It is a kit that lifts just under 3in. My main reason for lifting was as mentioned above, dragging her frame and scraping spare tire rack; also it allowed me to safely take advantage of my Aircrafters Bracket/Onan generator set that lives under the front of the trailer where the spare tire used to be. Now boon docking in remote areas is so much more appealing for me. Just head out, no damage, no scraping, and a bonus generator to boot.
One thing to consider when using a lift kit is alignment of the axles. It is of paramount importance that the install is done professionally, ( even if not by professionals) so that the axles are in "close to perfect" alignment with the point of pivot up front, namely the hitch ball. Anything over 1/8 inch out and you will have tire wear and potential handling issues. The lift kit does allow for slight alignment corrections. Which means if not considered, also allows for slight misalignment.
Reading this thread again, I think the best advice is taking it slow&easy, and scouting the path before getting in too deep. maybe not possible for some, but on longer off road trips I lower my air pressure to 15-18lbs. It acts like a second suspension and all but eliminates harmonic vibrations that dismantle my interior.
Cheers!
Uwe
Where is your spare tire now?
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #42
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfriebele View Post
All great advice from what sound like seasoned pros. You said you're a "newbie"?
If I were you, I'd be sure to have 4WD and I'd work up to the unimproved road conditions. Get very comfortable with how your rig "feels" pulling in a wide variety of situations. We don't boondock but have still found ourselves on some very bad road and precarious situations just looking for obscure campgrounds. The worst thing to avoid is the "one way in, no way out" situation. As said in a previous comment, trying to back and turn around on a one lane dirt road can be disaster and next would be the dreaded loss of traction. No lift kit in the world will help you pull 3 tons out of mush or soft sand. It's obviously doable depending how skilled you become towing....and making minor repairs. So far, I've replaced 2 rivets, one cabinet hinge and reinforced the bedroom TV mount...not bad.
Oh, gosh yes.

We don't even like to take the 4WD high-clearance truck on its own through soft sand. But if you must, keep going and don't stop.

We've had cupboards fall off over the bed, the TV monitor fall apart, and cupboard doors get unhinged even on paved highways.

But honestly folks, we have no interest in popping rivets. We're not equipped to repair them ourselves. I mean, does your insurance company cover repairs like this?

Our main strategy is to find a remote BLM campground--these may not show up on your map. It will probably have a pit toilet, picnic table, and fire ring, plus serious limits on trailer length. In Utah, Buckhorn Draw (San Rafael Bridge,) the Wedge overlook, Hatch Point, and Hovenweep National Monument (NPS) normally escape the crowds; and if not, there is dispersed camping nearby off of respectable dirt or gravel roads. Near Death Valley, there are also some good sites with good driving access in the lower Furnace Creek/Shoshone area.

Then we take off for the the day in the TV. Alternatively, use a day or two in your TV for scouting out the surrounding area for do-able, more remote dispersed sites, for next time.

(The shovel serves a dual purpose in the desert, as you may want to clear your site of cow patties.)

Has anyone else noticed dirt back roads getting narrower in southern Utah over the past decades? The popularity of 4-wheelers (ATVs, OHVs) and jeeps means that a lot of recreationists have a much narrower wheel base than the typical TV.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
Wherever you go or whatever you do have fun.....just don't be this guy or you might be on YouTube! Lol

https://youtu.be/ca4mmxTjzz4
bel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
Personally, on lift kits, someone noted on a similar prior discussion, “if Wally didn’t have it in Africa, do you need it now?”
If you watch the caravan movies taken in Africa, you will see "lifted" Airstreams. Back in the day most had leaf spring suspensions...they removed the axles from the springs and re-mounted the axles below the springs to gain greater ground clearance. I did this with my 1960 single axle 26 footer nearly 2 decades ago and am very happy with the results.
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:21 AM   #45
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Hi Uwe,

Can you post pics and explain the bold above?

Seems to me an on board generator would be something that could improve my boondocking substantially.
Let me get some images for you.
Uwe
Old 11-04-2020, 08:30 AM   #46
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Where is your spare tire now?
It is in a Michelin Tire bag in the trunk of my suburban. Laying flat, and can be top loaded with camping gear. When not towing, it lives on the side wall in my garage. the tire in the bag is super easy to handle, and doesn't leave rubber marks. The bag has handles. Couple of thoughts...Id rather load a spare tire once during a trip and have my generator theft proof and always ready to go, and if I really needed the spare, then its easier to get out of the trunk then wrestling it out from oder the trailer. Everything generator related is reversible, btw, the system uses the same holes as the tire carrier and can be removed within minutes should the need arise. I would be left with 2 5/8in holes l and r of the battery box, but that's it.
It is awful nice traveling with this installation. Rest stop lunches in the midst of summer suddenly aren't needlessly hot any longer, because I can run my ac. I can even give a few amps to a friend while boon docking.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:44 AM   #47
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
On Board gen set images on lifted Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Hi Uwe,

Can you post pics and explain the bold above?

Seems to me an on board generator would be something that could improve my boondocking substantially.
Here you go, Milo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	382575   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	382576  

Old 11-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
That is a game changer set up.

Thanks for posting it.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:08 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe View Post
Here you go, Milo.
That is the BEST idea!
Where to get that bracket to hold the Onan?
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:42 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
That is the BEST idea!
Where to get that bracket to hold the Onan?
When they become available, you can get them here.

https://airkrafters.com/

Sean (Airkrafters) is currently working on changing the bracket to fit a newer Onan generator that is about to come out. I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of the few kits he had left.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekremm View Post
Hey all, new to pulling a trailer and airstreams in general. We just ordered a 25ft flying closed and wondering how crazy is it to take this thing off the beaten path? I want to be able to boondock on BLM etc. Would it be crazy to get the lift kit and take this on some less than perfect roads? Would a 20ft trailer handle better?
Living as I do in Australia where many major routes may still entail 1000 miles or more of washboard (we call them 'corrugations) I have in the past 15 years covered over close to 250,000 miles of such going.

My main towing vehicle has been a 4.2-litre turbo-diesel Nissan Patrol on bog-standard Michelin 750 by 16 tyres. The suspension has been lifted by about two inches and top quality Koni shock absorbers fitted. We were towing a small camper trailer.

The vital this is to keep tyre pressures about 25% lower than for normal use. That way the tread 'folds around' sharp stones etc. If you this you must speed below about 50 mph or the tyres will overheat.

We never once had tyre or other vehicle-related issues.

As others have noted, if towing the only way you can often get out (if bogged) is via a power winch. We did have one with 28,000 lb pull power at the front of the Nissan. We also used locking hubs for traction in sand and mud.

Collyn
Old 11-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collyn View Post
Living as I do in Australia where many major routes may still entail 1000 miles or more of washboard (we call them 'corrugations) I have in the past 15 years covered over close to 250,000 miles of such going.

My main towing vehicle has been a 4.2-litre turbo-diesel Nissan Patrol on bog-standard Michelin 750 by 16 tyres. The suspension has been lifted by about two inches and top quality Koni shock absorbers fitted. We were towing a small camper trailer.

The vital this is to keep tyre pressures about 25% lower than for normal use. That way the tread 'folds around' sharp stones etc. If you this you must speed below about 50 mph or the tyres will overheat.

We never once had tyre or other vehicle-related issues.

As others have noted, if towing the only way you can often get out (if bogged) is via a power winch. We did have one with 28,000 lb pull power at the front of the Nissan. We also used locking hubs for traction in sand and mud.

Collyn
Maybe you recognize my son's camper.
IMO, no AS is suited for your playground. Click image for larger version

Name:	signal-2020-06-18-203315.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	382679

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:40 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Maybe you recognize my son's camper.
IMO, no AS is suited for your playground. Attachment 382679
Australia has good made-up roads within two to three hundred miles of its coastline but only one that runs east-west across its centre (and that still has some dirt sections). Most RV owners thus stay on these roads. One would certainly not take an AS off-road. Its ground clearance alone would preclude that.

We have many local makers producing 'off-road' caravans - they are good on dirt roads - but that's about it. If going truly off-road here one needs that type of camper trailer your son owns.

There are some ASs in Australia and the Bambi has a following. As is also here - https://www.airstreamaustralia.com.au/product-range/

The camper you show is more typical but there a large number of travel trailers (we call them 'caravans') and have much the same issues as in the USA - of people towing too much with too little.

Collyn