Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
How do you Boondock???

The Boondocking forum has a lot of "where to" but not much on "how to".

I would like to suggest a small expansion to the Boondocking forum. There is ample geographical sections (sub-forums) but not a specific opportunity to post threads related to tips and strategies for successful boondocking. An additional sub-forum category might encourage discussion, sharing of experiences & tips, etc.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Don't think we need a sub-forum for this...just start a new thread in the "Boondocking Forum" asking any questions you want.

I've moved this thread there...

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1b.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	27444  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
This is a big question, with as many answers as people that like to boondock..
But, some of the issues apply to everyone, I guess.
It boils down to the capacity of your trailers systems, the length of your stay, and your ability to conserve.
You can make your coach batteries last long by usig gas lights, and limiting the use of fans and other 12V users to the absolute minimum.
Water is a critical item, both fresh and waste water. It is often easier to refill a depleted fresh water tank from outside sources, than dumping your waste water once the tanks are full. Conservation is key here as well.
Propane is probably the least of the problem, as it usually goes a long way. ( Unless you winter camp and need to run the furnace a lot)
e.g.: We boondock in Baja at a beach with no services but a dump station and occasional water..My 55gal fresh, 52gal grey, and 25gal black will last us ( 2 adults) for about 4 days. 2 group 27 RV batteries will go 4 nights with fantastic fans on slow, and conservative use of lights. If we run the stereo a lot, or a TV, then we use our Honda Generator to refresh the batteries every 2 days or so.
I am sure that other members will share their tips and tricks.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I have a Honda EU-3000 generator and a big scrubber battery (212 Ah) for AC/DC power. Lot's of propane for the furnace, water heater, fridge and stove/oven. Several 6 gal Jerry cans for water and a stand & siphon hose to help load it into the trailer. (See my photo gallery.) A 10 gal Blue Tote Cart for gray/black water. The 10 gal is manageable and I can pick it up to carry in the bed of my P/U to the dump station. We try to use pit privies, bath houses for showers, to reduce use of trailer water. I do all of my utility work in the AM so I don't have to mess with it and can have fun the rest of the day.

My P/U has a high top truck cap so I can carry and secure all the stuff we need to live autonomously. We've Boondocked up to 2 weeks like this, only needing additional food provisions and ice for the beer.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Not my original intention for thread.

Thanks but I did not post the how to question.

If you start with the Airstream Community Forums page it has a forum titled "Boondocking". The caption under that reads:

"Share your best "no fee" camping sites"

This seems to be redundant when it is immediately followed by all the same info. specific to geographical areas (southern, mid-atlantic, mid-west, southwest, etc.)
Other forum titles have numerous references for what topics are to be found in that forum (i.e. interior restoration has 10). I was suggesting that the main Boondocking forum might have one or two other references: Boondocking strategies, Tips for getting back alive, How to conserve your resources, Boondocking on the first date, etc. Something more than "best no fee camp sites".

Thanks "uwe" and "rseagle" for your responses. It just wasn't were I was going with my original post. The title was changed for me. I will do some PMing before posting Admin. suggestions next time.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
You are right, I did re-name this thread...

The entire Boondocking Forum can accept threads on any boondocking topic that comes to mind. Just click the "New Thread" button right below the location sub-forums. If there are a lot of similar topic threads, then I (or any other admin) can add sub-forums.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 10-24-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Okay...so I added "How to's, Tips & Suggestions" to the description.

Shari

Old 10-24-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Boodocking means many different things to a number of different folks but it all seems to boil down to conservation. One of the ways I have found to save on water is to use a squirt bottle to wash my hands, rinse dishes, brush my teeth and any number of different tasks requiring a minimal amount of water. You will be surprised how long a regular squirt bottle of water will last.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Additional tip

I carry a 35 gallon potable water barrel, and a 12 volt transfer pump (Harbor Freight) with a suction pipe (3/4" PVC) that extends from the pump (which I place on top of the barrel) to the bottom of the barrel. the pressure side of the pump connects to my water hose to get it into the trailer. I can refill my trailer's fresh water supply from this barrel. I don't usually carry the barrel full, the barrel usually gets filled close to, or at the destination - sometimes 2 or three times, depending on use or length of stay. The barrel rides in the pick-up truck.

You of course have to either dump waste tanks/Blue tote or be in a location where you can "recycle" your grey water to a gopher hole.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:14 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Water conservation

I really like the squirt bottle idea.

We always take several gallon containers (Walmart $.69/gal.) for drinking, coffee, cooking. This also reduces chance of getting a bug from the fresh water tank. I drain the fresh water tank but don't always remember to add a bit of bleach between trips.

The squirt bottle would also reduce the number of times in one day we have to hear the noisy 12v pump operate (and that makes the batt. last longer).

Old 10-24-2006, 08:33 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Boondocking for 1st time

Going boondocking for the first time this weekend, Llano, Texas on our maiden voyage, me and my 15 year old son deer hunting. One battery, two 30# tanks of propane and cooler for food as we have no power for frig, and however much water I can fill into holding tank. We will see how the new radiant heater works as it is supposed to be in the low 40's. Plan on not using any power until night except minimal for water pump during day. The only electric will be lights at night. I will post a follow up on Monday.
Nevermind, what happens in Llano, stay's in Llano.
James
The Flintstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
We often camp in older state and federal parks with no hook-ups....usually from 10 to 14 days. We have two solar panels (Kyocera 120watt panels)...one permanently mounted on the roof and one that can be moved around. The two batteries that came with the trailer we replaced 4 Interstate AGM batteries (no liquid). Unless it stays cloudy for days, this more than takes care of our electrical needs (we can always start up the tow vehicle to re-charge the batteries, as well). We carry an Olympian catalytic heater, in case it gets cold (used with a gas line plumbed in under the dinette)....since the Airstream heater uses electrical to run the fan. And, as was mentioned before, the propane takes care of the refrigerator and cooking on the stove. Like flyfshr said, it all boils down to conservation! Most times, it's the gray water tank that is our worry....fortunately, the control panel on our trailer enables us to monitor the status!

I remember boodocking with my parents in the 1960-70's while deer hunting. My dad installed a couple of gas lights in his trailer, we did our dishes outside, dug an outdoor latrine, and kept warm with lots of wool blankets in the trailer when it was too wet to be outside and by the campfire otherwise.

Airstream boondocking is heaven!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 10-24-2006, 11:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
btw....I really like the squirt bottle idea!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 10-24-2006, 11:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Conserving resources

So much depends on where you are... and how far from fresh water and disposals... so, let's assume you are in the middle of nowhere. No water, no dump station, no Starbucks, no Wal Mart....

Water. We use the squirt bottle routine. It also works well for the toilet. Put a squirt of dish soap into a empty bottle, fill with water and it will rinse the bowl nicely. Used this in our boat when fresh water was a real premium.

One can also recycle water. Use your gray water (you can "strain" it through a cloth if fussy...) to use for flushing the black tank... squirt bottle or just a jug to pour in...

We usually wash hands, dishes, etc. outside and don't throw the water away immediately until we know we won't need it for something else. If you can toss the gray water outside it will really help the black tank or gray water tank from filling too soon.

Carry extra. We usually carry several flats of bottled drinking water. Also can carry extra water in a large blue tank.

Wash your hair, etc. in a bucket. If you fill the bucket with warm water you can stick your hair in, wet and wash your hair... rinse with the water in the bucket! You will even have a little left if you rinse back over the bucket to use to flush with!

Propane. All of our appliances are "original" so they run on propane only. No electricity needed. Propane stovetop, propane heater (no fan), propane hot water, propane refrigerator. No fans in any appliances. Unless we are heating everything in the cold weather, our propane will last way longer than our water or need to find a dump station.

Lighting. In the summertime, it stays light outside for a long time. We found we don't need much use for our batteries. Watch the campfire, visit, read during the daylight hours, do dishes make beds, etc. before nightfall and you will use less battery energy. We always bring a good old Coleman lantern and flashlights. We also have those wind up flashlights (Costco) so if all else fails our batteries can be recharged with a few cranks of the handle! I also have a nice little yacht lamp (West Marine) that burns a liquid parafin and will burn for a looooooooong time on the smallest amount of fuel. It provides enough light to actually see what you are doing, but not enough to read by, etc. Don't use your battery power unless you absolutely have to!

Well, these are a few of the things we do when Boondocking and wanting to stay as long as we can... our biggest need is usually the black water tank. We use other available bathrooms (pit toilets, etc.) when available and "save" ours for the middle of the night uses. When the blackwater needs to be emptied, then it is time to find a dump.

Have fun! Keep on camping!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
So much depends on where you are... and how far from fresh water and disposals... so, let's assume you are in the middle of nowhere. No water, no dump station, no Starbucks, no Wal Mart....

Water. We use the squirt bottle routine. It also works well for the toilet. Put a squirt of dish soap into a empty bottle, fill with water and it will rinse the bowl nicely. Used this in our boat when fresh water was a real premium.

One can also recycle water. Use your gray water (you can "strain" it through a cloth if fussy...) to use for flushing the black tank... squirt bottle or just a jug to pour in...

We usually wash hands, dishes, etc. outside and don't throw the water away immediately until we know we won't need it for something else. If you can toss the gray water outside it will really help the black tank or gray water tank from filling too soon.

Carry extra. We usually carry several flats of bottled drinking water. Also can carry extra water in a large blue tank.

Wash your hair, etc. in a bucket. If you fill the bucket with warm water you can stick your hair in, wet and wash your hair... rinse with the water in the bucket! You will even have a little left if you rinse back over the bucket to use to flush with!

Propane. All of our appliances are "original" so they run on propane only. No electricity needed. Propane stovetop, propane heater (no fan), propane hot water, propane refrigerator. No fans in any appliances. Unless we are heating everything in the cold weather, our propane will last way longer than our water or need to find a dump station.

Lighting. In the summertime, it stays light outside for a long time. We found we don't need much use for our batteries. Watch the campfire, visit, read during the daylight hours, do dishes make beds, etc. before nightfall and you will use less battery energy. We always bring a good old Coleman lantern and flashlights. We also have those wind up flashlights (Costco) so if all else fails our batteries can be recharged with a few cranks of the handle! I also have a nice little yacht lamp (West Marine) that burns a liquid parafin and will burn for a looooooooong time on the smallest amount of fuel. It provides enough light to actually see what you are doing, but not enough to read by, etc. Don't use your battery power unless you absolutely have to!

Well, these are a few of the things we do when Boondocking and wanting to stay as long as we can... our biggest need is usually the black water tank. We use other available bathrooms (pit toilets, etc.) when available and "save" ours for the middle of the night uses. When the blackwater needs to be emptied, then it is time to find a dump.

Have fun! Keep on camping!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
UH! Where have I been. You have just discribed how I tent camped before and a little after a family. When I saw this thread I thought "Oh, good, I can pick up some good pointers."
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:45 AM   #16
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Great thread!

All great ideas and posts above!

Nice idea for a thread, I'm definitely using the squirt bottle next time, thanks Flyfisher/Brad!

Good point Neil about tenting, those of us who paid our dues tenting probably do things we don't even think about boondocking in the luxury Airstream experience!

*A little planning hint: choose your boondocking place with your limits in mind--its all about fun right?
**We don't boondock when its super hot/humid, we go off season to hot places like the Smokies etc. Fewer crowds, happier rangers, cleaner facilities.
**I like to make sure there's water nearby, gotta have water...I mean like lakes or rivers to splash around in/cool off in. I know that's not possible everywhere, but we live in Michigan and we're lucky (I'll keep telling myself that in December and March...)
**Use less stuff, I use paper plates when we boondock. I try to make meals less of an ordeal I'd rather be playing than cleaning up.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:19 AM   #17
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Propane lamps

Several times I have given serrious thought to adding a couple indoor propane lamps to my Trade Wind for boondocking, but I really cant figure out where to place them so that they would give good light and not do any damage. Anybody have lamps? How well do they work?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:58 AM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but the whole purpose in buying an Airstream was comfort and, dare I say, luxury camping! Seriously, I would have stuck to my Eddie Bauer tent and queensized platform air mattress if I didn't want all of the comforts of home!

I'm not critizing mind you; there may be times when we have to boondock in Wal-mart's parking lot, but it's not something I'm going to search out. On the east coast where I live, there just isn't enough federal lands where you can dry camp. All of the good places have state parks in them and if they don't have at least water and electricity with a dump station I guess I'll only stay the night because we would have the gray tank full in one morning's worth of showers.

And I can tell you, Princess Diva isn't going to go boondocking without a fight!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We love boondocking. Out here in the West there are vast tracts of land (bigger than some states) where you can go. We've only been to Campgrounds twice.

We have a summer Honda 3000 for the A/C and a winter Honda 1000 for the batteries.

Of course you can run most appliances on gas.

The winter generator keeps batteries charged so you don't have to scrimp on heat or light.

Water. We cut our water usage by paper plates and BBQ's. No water used for cleanup there. VERY short showers really just a Navy bath keeps you smelling fresh and saves water.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:50 PM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Well, a lot has to do with the concept for the Princess. And I will admit, I don't like the thought of too much roughing it either. In a pinch yes, as a means to an end, no.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote