Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
HOT Springs and Thermal Pools for 2020

Winter brings cooler to frigid weather across the USA. Yet the air may be cold, even snow on the ground. Ice cycles on your roof gutters. Do not despair… Thermal Springs operate every day, 24 hours, day or night and many are worth visiting. Free or with an admission fee.

I was trying to clean off some shelves and rediscovered: Thermal Springs List for the United States (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Key to Geophysical Records Documentation No. 12 - compiled by George W. Berry, Paul J. Grim and Joy A. Ikelman, June 1980.

This was put together by the National Geographical and Solar Terrestrial Data Center, Boulder, Colorado. It also states “Copies of this Publication, including three maps, are available FREE of Charge from: NOAA/NGSDC Datamapping Group, Code D64, 325 Broadway, Boulder, Colorado 80303

Do not ‘hold your breath’ if this is no long available in paper… but try the Ebook and Internet for a download of YOUR STATE or where you are interested in going.

Yellowstone, of course, has many. Just not the kind of Hot Spring for jumping into… although they are ALL listed.

Our FAVORITE Hot Spring is in Saratoga, Wyoming. They also have a swimming pool. The Hot Spring is flowing thousands of gallons of water a day into the North Platte River. If it is not HOT enough on the edges, you can go where the water is flowing from Underground. In winter… a fog persists and blows off like clouds. It use to be free Saratoga Hobo Hot Springs. It still may be free and had free public showers. Fun, Travel and Adventure... I say.

You can look it all up on the Internet.

The majority of Hot Springs, aka Thermal Springs are not all considered hot… but luke warm, begin at the Rocky Mountain Front Range and west, from north to south.

Some on the west side of the Appalachians. Central Arkansas at Hot Springs. Southwest Texas along the north side of the Rio Grand River. By the time you get to the 104th meridian west… lots and if you draw a line, north to south from Yellowstone Park… hundreds into California.

This Post is already long, but if you are looking for a Hot Spring in your State… make a post and inquire. Many may be familiar to fellow Airstreamers.

Hot Springs, South Dakota has a huge swimming pool for the kids and adults. The southern Black Hills. Many are commercialized for good reason. Some are enjoyed for the MUD. Some for the Sulfur. Be prepared to rinse yourself off with YOUR own fresh water. Some in Nevada are mud bubblers. Driving down some county gravel road you can see steamers coming out of the ground along the road.

Some Nevada 'thermal springs' are mud pits in the desert, but may have good therapeutic ingredients, unknown to me.

Google: Thermal Springs List For the United States. I have the paper copy and maps. The information includes State, Latitude, Longitude, Spring Name, Temperature in C and F, USGS Professional Paper 492, USGS Circular 790, Map that can be purchased name.

Some Hot Springs are boiling hot… and others warm. If you can give some examples of Hot Springs you have visiting, please add to this Thread. This is for everyone and some Springs are remote and abandoned. Even Boulder Canyon has ‘Thermal Springs’ hikers lay into. They are mildly warm. Small for up to four people. The 2016 Wyoming Adventure has a Thermal Spring / Swimming Pool (Granite Hot Springs & Camp) 30 miles south of Jackson and also near some OTG Boondocking sites.

Any Questions… this what OUR Forum is for. There is a cure for everything and a Hot Spring is safe and can actually be good for you.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Well I have a copy of "Thermal Springs In The United States" from the Department of the Interior Geological Survey Water Supply Paper 679-B circa 1937 which sold for 35 cents. It's over my head with geological terminology but does list all of the hot springs in the US with detailed maps. However some that are listed as resorts are defunct and some that were rustic are now resorts. Unfortunately some of the remote spots have become trashed over the years and perhaps keeping their location under hat may give them a chance to recover.

However, one of my favorite locations is the Gila Hot Springs which have been rescued and repaired. Three very nice natural pools for soaking with varying but comfortable temps. There is camping around the springs for tents, vans and Bambi size trailers. But across the street is a sheep farm with a few RV sites with hookups. They also have a bath house with jetted hot springs water.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
As mojo advises, the resorts and for pay thermal springs are more 'dependable' and will meet, at least, my mediocre standards. I did not stop at the Gila Hot Springs when in the area.

I was towing the 23 foot Safari to the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument... which are next to the Hot Springs. If you do not plan to park your trailer at the Hot Springs, I advise you detach it on the south side of Highway 35, before making the turn to go north on Highway 15.

The parking lot is large and you can pull the trailer alongside shaded areas during the day.

I heard the restaurant is closed at that intersection. I do not know.

The Gila Cliff Dwellings are excellent. You wander around them like Mesa Verde ruins. Or Chaco Canyon. The dwellings are set into a nice high spot in a cliff, with a small spring fed clear stream running below it.

If you tow a trailer into here... the road is UP and down... down and UP and curves everywhere. The road was asphalt and in nice condition. This place was so remote at one time, it no doubt was not discovered until the loggers arrived.