Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Port Colborne , Ontario
Heat when Boondocking

Hello folks,
We purchased a 2019 Flying Cloud 23’FB. We are replacing an older 25’ Safari. We are on our maiden voyage
Surprisingly we are not able to heat the trailer. We are not connected to any shore power.
I need some advice as the literature is sparse.
When we took delivery the dealership said the unit had a furnace and the AC worked as a heat pump.
As we are now only on 12v battery power the thermostat In the bedroom is void of anything except it lights up when I power it on.
Is there a way to run the furnace on 12v?
Is 110vac power source required?
Our old 1997 Safari had heat even when we boondocked however it ran the battery down fast.
Thanks
Keith Stamper . .
Keith S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
You should be able to run the gas furnace when you’re boondocking without any external power source. Sometimes my thermostat is finicky and I need to push the “mode” button a few times to cycle through the options and select the furnace. The heat pump will not work unless you are on shore power or a generator.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Hi Keith. Greetings from PA and welcome to the forum. It's great to have you with us.

The furnace is designed to run on DC current and should do so, provided you have propane and enough DC power. Do you have these necessary items?

As mentioned make sure the thermostat is set to furnace (not heat pump).

Let us know what's happening and maybe more help can be provided.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Make sure your propane tank valve is open too!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
What's your battery voltage?

Check the breakers. Look in the outside compartment for possible loose wires, etc.

Make sure thermostat is in furnace mode.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Put the thermostat in FURN mode, set fan to AUTO. Be patient, some times it take a few seconds to kick in. ten if the gas was out or off, the furnace fan should come on.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:26 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We like to Boondock a lot and seldom have to use the furnace on our FC. But last month on a camping trip, we encountered a 40 degree temperature drop and dusting of snow overnight. The heater will warm the trailer, but the fan will drain your batteries in no time.

We carry a 9000btu Mr. Heater, portable radiant heater. It takes the small bottles of propane that only give you about 5 hours of heat, but it saved our batteries and kept us warm during the cold weather for a couple days. Initially, I was worried about carbon monoxide build up and reluctant to run the heater in the trailer, but it has a safety shut off if it detects low oxygen levels. I even found a YouTube video where a guy placed a digital carbon monoxide detector in an enclosed trailer, with no ventilation for four hours and never got any reading level increase. Here's a link to that pretty convincing video.

https://youtu.be/5vqyfOq0D-8
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
We use a lasko electric quartz heater as our main source
It supplements the as oem gas furnace. It was way too loud, so I added a DC motor speed control. At night ,we dial it down to 30-50 % speed

We have battle born lion battery and many victron products
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
You should be able to run the gas furnace when you’re boondocking without any external power source. Sometimes my thermostat is finicky and I need to push the “mode” button a few times to cycle through the options and select the furnace. The heat pump will not work unless you are on shore power or a generator.
This /\ is my understanding too.

Having just replaced my 20 year old thermostat and motherboard on the rooftop unit, it maybe not configured from the factory to function, I had to set the dip switched on the motherboard and do a thermostat reset and it functions great

But having typed this I'm sure when you did the walk through training it all worked then so this is not accurate for your situationClick image for larger version

Name:	.pending-1603065607-PXL_20200930_183834691~2.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	380593
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Lorida , Florida
Mr Heater,definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
We like to Boondock a lot and seldom have to use the furnace on our FC. But last month on a camping trip, we encountered a 40 degree temperature drop and dusting of snow overnight. The heater will warm the trailer, but the fan will drain your batteries in no time.

We carry a 9000btu Mr. Heater, portable radiant heater. It takes the small bottles of propane that only give you about 5 hours of heat, but it saved our batteries and kept us warm during the cold weather for a couple days. Initially, I was worried about carbon monoxide build up and reluctant to run the heater in the trailer, but it has a safety shut off if it detects low oxygen levels. I even found a YouTube video where a guy placed a digital carbon monoxide detector in an enclosed trailer, with no ventilation for four hours and never got any reading level increase. Here's a link to that pretty convincing video.

https://youtu.be/5vqyfOq0D-8
Mr Heater is the way to go - preserves your battery and the radiant heat is much more efficient than the forced air from the furnace for our 22’ sport. Thinking about getting a 5 lb propane tank, or figuring out some way to run a propane hose in through a window so we don’t have to use up the expensive and wasteful 1 lb canisters.
Dubaigsry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith S View Post
Hello folks,
We purchased a 2019 Flying Cloud 23’FB. We are replacing an older 25’ Safari. We are on our maiden voyage
Surprisingly we are not able to heat the trailer. We are not connected to any shore power.
When we took delivery the dealership said the unit had a furnace and the AC worked as a heat pump.
As we are now only on 12v battery power the thermostat In the bedroom is void of anything except it lights up when I power it on.
Our old 1997 Safari had heat even when we boondocked however it ran the battery down fast.
Thanks
Keith Stamper . .
Furnace should work on 12V no issues. Make sure you have furnace selected and not the heat pump. The heat pump I find makes too much noise anyway and takes too long so it's my last option even when plugged in. Most of the time I'm boondocking so I use the furnace set to 56 overnight and use a hot water bottle. The 56 is just so that the trailer isn't a complete icebox. Still makes for a comfortable nights rest. When I'm plugged in a typically just use a micro-furnace and move it to where I located in the trailer.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith S View Post
Hello folks,
Thanks
Keith Stamper . .
Mr. Keith,

So what happened?

Thanks,

Forum People.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we use a 1200W quartz heater . the furnace is far too loud
this one allows Hi/low, temp setting and time limit.

thus we heat up the trailer before we go to sleep. then we ask it to maintain at least 16C over night
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
The op is boondocking...so using that heater is not likely an option?
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Mr. Heater portable Buddy or Big buddy uses no electricity. Get the adapter for 5# bulk tanks. A fill costs less than 2 of the 1# disposables.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote