Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2020, 11:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Heat Trials. Two ACs Trailer Propane

Trailer propane fuels two generators that power two ACs. For a cool weekend in hot weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2122.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	532.0 KB
ID:	368831  
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Doesn't your 2016 30' Airstream have a 50-amp shore power connection? Not sure the two 2200 units will handle the loads of both air conditioners, especially if they need to start up at the same time. You only have a 30-amp outlet on the companion 2200 unit, right? [*]

Do you have Easy Start [or comparable] on the A/C units?

Maybe turn off the circuit breakers for the inverter and microwave? Or perhaps your fancy electrical system can combine the 120-volt output of your inverter with the 120-volt shore power from the gens? Seems to me some solar/lithium folks can do that.

Here is the Generator/Solar sub-forum . . . there may be helpful info there:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/
See also: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/

Also, does the low pressure propane port have enough gas flow for the two gens working hard at the same time?

"propane port capacity two generators" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=prop...w=1440&bih=727

Curious to hear your results in hot weather. You could close off the bedroom and only use 1 A/C?

Good luck,

Peter

[*] -- 30-amp outlet on companion 2200 unit:
https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...lel-capability
http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...-Operation.pdf
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I am also curious about the low pressure port capacity for 2 gens.....

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- A recent thread which suggests that these new-fangled electrical systems can combine the inverter and gen shore power 120-volt outputs?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...ll-205343.html
Old 05-28-2020, 04:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Nothing new. This has been a feature of the Victron Inverter Charger for some time. I installed mine 2.5 years ago. The Victron control allows you to limit the current draw from the AC source so that your LiPO4 batteries, through the inverter, pick up the remainder. When I use my generator, I set the control for 18 amps so that trailer AC load will never exceed that and overload the generator. Any remaining load above 18 amps is carried by the inverter. It is a very cool feature.

Larry
Old 05-28-2020, 04:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

I am curious about the ability of the low pressure port to support 2-2k generators because I am thinking about buying a companion and the options are leave it as gas, run it on a separate HP propane bottle, or run it on a Y to the LP propane port. I guess a Y on one of the trailer propane bottles is a possibility, but there is already too much stuff on top of the tanks.
On the other hand, I could just stick with my conservative approach to boondocking and stay with my single Honda.
Larry
Old 05-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Nothing new. This has been a feature of the Victron Inverter Charger for some time.
. . .

Hey . . . no one had scribbled this on the wall of my cave . . .

"Rip Van Winkle"

Definitely a cool feature, thanks Larry.

Peter
Old 05-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
Trailer propane fuels two generators that power two ACs. For a cool weekend in hot weather.
Have you used the two Honda 2200 units on the low-pressure propane port, and confirmed that the port can handle the total gas flow required, or maybe this is a Mythtaken plan?

In the photo is the single propane hose [after the Y] going to your low-pressure port, or maybe to one of the main tanks? Hard to make out where it goes IMO.

Also, is that single hose the same ID as the two smaller ones? Shouldn't it be a larger ID? Again . . . hard to make out.

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- "propane port two generators" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=prop...=airforums.com

[out of edit time]
FWIW
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Honda 2200s 28 May 2020.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	512.3 KB
ID:	368850  
Old 05-28-2020, 11:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- The followng post is in a thread which has helpful info IMO.

[click on orange arrow in quote to go there]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencilpusher View Post
I run two Honda 2200 generators off the propane port on my Airstream. 1/4" quick connect fitting at the trailer with a 1/2" propane hose that is 20 feet long with a tee at the end with 3/8" quick connect fittings to each generator. Works perfectly!
Seems to answer previous question? Note upgrade to larger 1/2" hose and 3/8" quick-connect fittings. These upgrades are what help sustain a full gas flow from the AS's 1/4" port IMO. Not sure if 1/4" for the entire run would do the trick.

LP Gas sub-forum looks good too:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f287/

Happy trails,

Peter
Old 05-28-2020, 12:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Peter,

Thanks. I am having trouble believing that you can run 2-2k generators off the LP propane QD at the front of the trailer. But if someone tells me, "no problem", great! Clearly it would be no problem directly at the tank.
I have a hose for my grill with the right QD's but I do not remember the size of the hose. Again, that hose is good for my generator in the truck bed or the grill. I also find it hard to believe that a bigger hose would matter if the QD fittings are 1/4" and are the most restricted components. Then, it would be nice to know if a two generator setup runs at LP with the refrigerator on propane and even heating up the hot water tank.
The real issue for trying to know this ahead of time is whether to spend the extra money on a propane converted Honda Companion. The cheaper route is to just run the Companion on gasoline, whenever it might be needed, or rig up plumbing to a Y off the tank to be sure there is never a pressure issue. The absolute cheapest route is to just buy A Predator 2k and parallel that with my existing Honda.
Larry
Old 05-28-2020, 01:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Heat Trials. Two ACs Trailer Propane

I installed a 3/8” quick connect as my airstream didn’t already have one. I can easily run a 3400 Champion dual fuel at the end of two 12 foot 1/2” id hoses.

The generator comes up off idle a bit to run my single A/C under very hot conditions. Runs fine in economy mode. No EasyStart installed yet.

I did modify the generator propane hose and regulator setup from OEM to connect directly to the quick connect.

Champion even used some of the pictures and results from our group experiences and experimenon the “which generator” thread.

IMHO running a generator on the usual ethanol laced gasoline is a good way to screw up the fuel system. I only run propane because of the corrosion issues “corn gas” can cause in storage. Besides, propane is stable in storage. Gasoline odors are not my favorite flavor either.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Larry. That user Pencilpusher posted recently on another thread, so anyone could send him a PM to confirm that his setup is still OK. Maybe he would post an update here?

I share your concerns . . . any "gasoline" add-on option, however, is not attractive IMO. A 20-pound BBQ tank would be OK in the bed of a pickup TV, but not in our van or trailer.

If I ever get to needing two Honda 2200's running on propane, I would consider rigging up a direct feed/regulator from one of the main AS tanks. We are in the "less is more" mode of life, so for now . . . "happy trails as-equipped" . . .

Thanks, Rich, for those details.

Peter
Old 05-28-2020, 01:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I am having trouble believing that you can run 2-2k generators off the LP propane QD at the front of the trailer.
This is from Genconneex FAQ page:

"Can I run two EU2200i’s at the same time from my camper’s 1/4” propane quick disconnect?

Yes, if the connector is only a few feet from the tank and if you are just using the two to start a 12,000 or 14,000 BTU A/C unit that normally run at approximately 1600 Watts once started. No if you want to run both generators in total above this power for any length of time or have your 1/4” quick disconnect more than a few feet away. In this case you should have your line upgraded to 3/8” i.d. with a 3/8” quick disconnect installed."
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
I don’t think so....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Thanks, I think my suspicion is confirmed, gotta use the HP at the tank.
Larry
Old 05-28-2020, 01:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

"Measure twice . . . cut once!"

Thanks DCPAS.

Peter
Old 05-28-2020, 02:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
But, but, but...

Can I convert my propane to diesel and run all my appliances off of that plus supply a couple of diesel generators to recharge my lithium battery bank and run the AC off of that?

What do you mean why? Because I’m a guy, wise guy.

PS pretty sure it would work if I added a steam powered fly wheel to the mix. Here, hold my beer...
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
But, but, but...

Can I convert my propane to diesel and run all my appliances off of that plus supply a couple of diesel generators to recharge my lithium battery bank and run the AC off of that?

PS pretty sure it would work if I added a steam powered fly wheel to the mix. Here, hold my beer...
Skyguyscott, you mean one like this in Jay Leno’s Garage? He got this one out of Teddy Roosevelt’s house. I think you’re on to something...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	732BFD7E-D4DC-4ED8-BD74-CBDFBCAC6D6F.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	368853  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
But, but, but...

You meant a steam turbine powered flywheel, right? Because I think that would work. You would definitely need a one ton or bigger tow vehicle, however. Your try it and report back.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Doesn't your 2016 30' Airstream have a 50-amp shore power connection? Not sure the two 2200 units will handle the loads of both air conditioners, especially if they need to start up at the same time. You only have a 30-amp outlet on the companion 2200 unit, right? [*]

Do you have Easy Start [or comparable] on the A/C units?

Maybe turn off the circuit breakers for the inverter and microwave? Or perhaps your fancy electrical system can combine the 120-volt output of your inverter with the 120-volt shore power from the gens? Seems to me some solar/lithium folks can do that.

Here is the Generator/Solar sub-forum . . . there may be helpful info there:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/
See also: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/

Also, does the low pressure propane port have enough gas flow for the two gens working hard at the same time?

"propane port capacity two generators" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=prop...w=1440&bih=727

Curious to hear your results in hot weather. You could close off the bedroom and only use 1 A/C?

Good luck,

Peter

[*] -- 30-amp outlet on companion 2200 unit:
https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...lel-capability
http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...-Operation.pdf

1) I have a 50 Amp trailer. For the test I used the 50 Amp cable to minimize a voltage drop. The Honda companion has a 30 Amp output and I use a 30 to 50 amp adaptor. It's in the picture. The two generators power just the air conditioners, nothing else. The fridge is set for propane, not AC (important). The converters are OFF (also important).

2) Both air conditioners have the Easy Start.

3) The inverter is OFF.

4) The low pressure propane port has been modified from 1/4" to a 3/8" quick disconnect. I can also use an external propane tank with a modified "T" connector. See the picture. The propane store told me to drill out the adaptor for more gas flow.

The hot weather performance is excellent.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bob.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	550.5 KB
ID:	368868  
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote