Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2021, 05:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Hate Crowds: Ray's Growler works

Years ago I did a Thread that mentioned my Growler. Five years ago, more or less, someone on the Forum asked to explain HOW it works and HOW to make one.

No, it was not Uncle Bob... but he and I are in the same facility... Airstream Lockdown.

Lets say you are at a crowded RV Park. Yellowstone is great. It works.

Lets say you are at a Boondock location with a loud party at Midnight. It works.

Lets imagine you have something that will give everyone... goosebumps at a crowded RV Park. It works.

This is it. Best is a five gallon METAL can. Popcorn used to come in them. I loaned Ray's Growler and never saw him again. My brother is like that.

Most everyone can get a Plastic Bucket. The bigger, the lower the Tone. A small one sounds like a Squirrel. A larger one a Rhino. Since you are in the USA... lets settle for a Grizzly (metal five gallon+ can) or just a Black / Brown Bear (plastic five gallon bucket.

The shoe lace or cord is important. Nylon and a half inch or wider for BASS. Smaller widths for TENOR. Some work better than others. The cords given with ID Tags are wide and Nylon.

Center the hole so the cord fits through it. Tie a large knot, or figure out something you may come up with. Knot the outside and snug knot on the inside the bucket.

The longer the cord... the longer this contraption works. Three feet from the bottom of the bucket to the end is a gooooood Growler. Experiment with options.

Wet the lace, cord or whatever you are going to try. Some are better than others. DO NOT LOAN RAY'S GROWLER to anyone. They will never bring it back. Remember my Brother? Yes...him. He gets Great Campsites just by Growling and waiting... It is already paid for, so go for it.

I include photographs at great expense to myself and the hired actress. I could not afford video with sound, so this is what you get.

If you have questions, please ask Uncle Bob. Maybe Thalweg. He likes Bear. Singular or Plural Bear, of course.

Try a coffee can. You can drive someone crazy and they will move their trailer, tent or refrigerator carton in the morning. Oh yes... they will once you get good at it.

Hunting Season... be a bit cautious. These can sound like a Bull Elk with telephone poles for a rack. These guys camp in tents, so you probably cannot use their campsite, anyways.

OK? Try it. Tell us how it worked. If you were beaten up by a crowd of upset campers... add a video. We all enjoy someone else getting all the attention. I am still in hiding...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0087.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	403328   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0088.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	403329  

Name:	DSCN0089.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	403330  
Old 09-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

No need to make one of those .... I ... umm ...errr ... seem to have one. Not sure why it says "Ray" on the side of it ...

They are fun around Halloween as well.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I thought a "growler" was a big beer mug, often used for home brew tasting.

My beagle does a pretty good job of reducing the crowds in a campground. She can growl, bark, make other dogs bark, tear open trash bags, and poop pretty good.

One big advantage by traveling with an Airstream is if you don't like where you are at, just hitch up and move on down the road. Many people agree, so why not give them a good reason to just leave.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2105 Bessie Cute Face-800x600.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	403331  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:18 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I thought a "growler" was a big beer mug, often used for home brew tasting.

David
Hi

Actually that version is best done as a double wall / "thermos" version with a capacity of around a gallon and a backup CO2 system:

https://drinktanks.com/collections/craft

Keeps the beer cold on the long drive back to the campsite and holds enough for "at least an evening".

Bob
Old 09-04-2021, 07:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Ray. Do you pull the wet cord thru and that makes a sound like a animal growling?

Sorry I'm camping and can't try it out Yet
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Not for Party Poopers... Have some Fun and be Young again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraclassic View Post
Ray. Do you pull the wet cord thru and that makes a sound like a animal growling?

Sorry I'm camping and can't try it out Yet
"Put your lips together and blow"... (whistle on a great movie).

Wet the cord where your thumb and index finger squeeze the cord. Even leave a bit of water in the bucket if your 'working area' is drying out.

I use my thumb and index finger. More pressure onto the cord and less pressure can change the Pitch and sound. Your finger moving on the cord is like a Violin string. It will vibrate and the sound is amplified by the the container, can or even a small cup.

Kids will drive YOU and everyone else NUTS... they are having fun in the process.

Small cans. Good kids project, up to 87 years young... keeps them busy when you hear... "I'm Bored.....". Better than Snipe Hunting with a burlap bag.

You can take a nail to make the hole, or a drill bit. The tighter the hole, you are less likely to pull the cord through with the knot.

I am taking my Growler with me... for the beer. And the other for the entertainment... after the... beer.

If anyone feels foolish trying this... maybe it is time to enjoy just being... Crazy as a Fox. You are camping. Neighbors will want to know what you are up to. Make something up... "I am a Nature Photographer and need to get some Bears up close to the Campground for some Photo Opportunity..."

Secure the bucket(s) size like a watermelon, your arm around it nice and secure, the other is the working part. Never carried a watermelon out of a melon patch... you are a bit younger than myself.

Next month: Music blowing into Beer Bottles and other Bottles. (Not really.)

Tell us how the Growler works... Don't loan it out if it does. You will never get it back.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
I haven't made one of these since I was/am a kid. I've got some plastic buckets. Hum, DW will give me the look and ask "What are you up to now?"
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If nothing else, this sort of thing *is* a great way to keep the kids entertained simply using "stuff" that likely is lying around. I can see at least four candidate buckets from where I'm sitting. If it's caned beans for dinner ... there's some more "raw material".

Bob
Old 09-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #9
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Ray, your so old fashioned. Connect your computer to your AS sound system and find some sound effects of growling bears and mountain lions. If you really want a good scare, a herd of charging elephants also has a lasting effect.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 04:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
My brother, Tiffin Motorhome, boondocking in rural central FL, had loud tent campers near him.
He had one made from a raison box. Made a few growls at various intervals.
He reported that the tent got very quiet and was gone when he got up the next morning.
He used rosin (like baseball or violin) for the cord. Didn't wet it.
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 05:29 PM   #11
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Love it !! I want one

Maybe 25 years ago we boon-docked about an hr from home at a sweet little spot on the river ...very quiet and private in logging country....no one around for miles.....1st night was amazing ...2nd night party animals arrived and set up about 75ft away...full blast all night finally about 3-4am we got up and I drove my better half home ....left the rig locked up at the site.
I was super P O 'd. and couldn't sleep then at all. I went into the shop and got my old chainsaw...disconnected the muffler...... drove back about 7am, and they were all sleeping in their cars and tents. Went in and put the kettle on for coffee ....put on ear muffs... fired up the saw and buried it in an old rotten first growth stump running full throttle ....10 -15 min then made coffee and then back to the stump ....they were all packed and gone in less than an hour and I had a nice quiet breakfast river side .....it was sweet !!
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:19 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , AB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Conner View Post
He used rosin (like baseball or violin) for the cord. Didn't wet it.
Rosin on a nylon fishing line makes the most awful sounds. You don't need a bucket - loop one end around the bumper or something of the victim's car/trailer and go stand waaay in the distance behind a tree - they won't see the line in the evening/night and the spooky sounds will come from everywhere around their vehicle - the whole vehicle will vibrate!
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , AB
My father in law would always mow his lawn early the next morning after the neighbours had a party.
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:50 PM   #14
G-Ranch

1970 25' Tradewind
Smyrna , Georgia
Early morning payback

An Early morning squirrel hunt with a 12 Ga never fails to bring justice before breakfast. 😉
G-Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote