Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' International CCD
Belchertown , Massachusetts
Has anyone found places to boondock in New England?

I see absolutely no threads here, which is disheartening! Don't know whether it's because this is a new forum, that New Englanders just don't go boondocking or that there aren't any places to go around the northeast. It's hard to believe, but who knows??

So, if you have found any gems, I'd love to hear about them!
riverstreet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
New England has lots of people and little open public space. Some large land owners have closed access because of liabilty concerns and abused by people with ATV's and off road bikes. People who know of places keep them to themselves. Much better pickings out west with alot of open public use areas. Check with the large lumber companies in northern Maine. They have some camping areas, may or may not be still available to the public.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Yep, I hear ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverstreet2
I see absolutely no threads here, which is disheartening! Don't know whether it's because this is a new forum, that New Englanders just don't go boondocking or that there aren't any places to go around the northeast. It's hard to believe, but who knows??

So, if you have found any gems, I'd love to hear about them!
This is also a disappointment to us. As Over59 says there are many people and few public lands here in New England. I'd love a "wilderness" camping experience where we felt we were the only ones around for miles. But I have not found this magic place (yet) anywhere near our home - meaning within a couple hours drive from New Boston, NH.

BTW, I'm the New England Unit Membership Chairperson for the Wally Byam Caravan Club International (WBCCI) - you know, the "Airstream Club". Let me know if you'd like any information about our club. Also check the Region 1 Rally thread here on the forums. It will give you a good idea what the New England Unit is all about - It's just fun and camping for our Unit!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
We found a ton of places in Maine , mostly from Bangor to Calais off rte. 9 . This is paper company land . If you get a Maine Atlas and Gazetteer by DeLorme it will have a simble for primitive campsite , most of which are on lakes ponds and streams. The only requirment is that you go to the nearest ranger station and post on the map where you will be , this is mainly for fire control . We spent a week hopping from lake to lake and had the best time ever . Most times we were the only ones on the whole lake .The only down side is that most of this is on gravel roads and you will have to share them with logging trucks .Not the best conditions for a shiny AS , but many are not far off the pavement . If you are brave enough to try it you will find places you didn't think existed any more.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
We found a ton of places in Maine , mostly from Bangor to Calais off rte. 9 . This is paper company land . If you get a Maine Atlas and Gazetteer by DeLorme it will have a simble for primitive campsite , most of which are on lakes ponds and streams. The only requirment is that you go to the nearest ranger station and post on the map where you will be , this is mainly for fire control . We spent a week hopping from lake to lake and had the best time ever . Most times we were the only ones on the whole lake .The only down side is that most of this is on gravel roads and you will have to share them with logging trucks .Not the best conditions for a shiny AS , but many are not far off the pavement . If you are brave enough to try it you will find places you didn't think existed any more.
Agreed, I have done some camping on paper company land...although it was in my PAS days (Pre AirStream Days).
Although not really "boondocking" many of the NF sites are remote, beautiful, quiet, and many got almost no traffic. Check out the RT 113 are in NH.
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' International CCD
Belchertown , Massachusetts
Thanks for the info - I appreciate it. And it makes sense why there is so little public land here - not like out west. Of course, that is my real dream - to travel out there again. The southwest has always been one of my favorite areas. It just that it takes a bit to drive out there and then have time to visit. My husband and I are still working, so to get the 2 weeks at least to do that is difficult. But I can dream about it!!!
In the meantime there are very nice campgrounds around here and I will have to be satisfied with that for a while. And maybe we will be brave enough, as ticki2 says, to try some of those remote spots in northern Maine!...
riverstreet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Check out the national park areas up around Mt. Washington in NH, particularly through Pinkham Notch. We were up there several years ago, and while we did not choose to stay there, there were options at some of the parks.

There is very little even in the greater Boston area for campgrounds, let alone boondocking. You may need to head further north, Maine included (check out Moose Lake and Moose River areas).
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:05 PM   #8

2005 25' Safari
Rieglesville , Pennsylvania
Hey. I'm looking to. There has to be some gems in the Adirondack's. I seem to remember some RV's parked along the access road to John Brooks back country lodge off of the Adirondack Loj road near Lake Placid. We tent camped for 20 years at the Adirondack Loj wilderness camp ground. Got the AS after a perticularly bad night in a leaky tent 2 years ago. Were heading up that way the day after labor day and plan to check out the road again.
shinypod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
T2R9 Maine...

Quote:
Township 2, Range 9 in Maine. Not enough people to have towns in this area. That's where Leon hunts every year for deer - don't worry Bambi lovers he has not gotten anything for about 15 years, it's really moose country there, the coyotes take care of any excess deer that may be around.

But, even with a poor hunt we love the area. It's out there! To get to the hunting camp we need to travel 12 miles of old logging roads and you will *never* find me on them with my Airstream. Talk about dimples on a golfball! I'm sure the entire front of our rig would look like the surface of the moon after a just a few miles..... I'll take the truck and a tent for these type of adventures. My boondocking dream is to find a wilderness experience that does not cause me to add character to the exterior of "The Tube".

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinypod
Hey. I'm looking to. There has to be some gems in the Adirondack's. I seem to remember some RV's parked along the access road to John Brooks back country lodge off of the Adirondack Loj road near Lake Placid. We tent camped for 20 years at the Adirondack Loj wilderness camp ground. Got the AS after a perticularly bad night in a leaky tent 2 years ago. Were heading up that way the day after labor day and plan to check out the road again.
If you're heading to the Adirondack's, check out the Cranberry Lake area. It's been 100 years since I was there, but the time of year you are heading there will likely be beautiful. Bring a canoe or something!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:55 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2004 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Pensacola , Florida
Boondocking locations

Hi There:
Overnight parking is available at many of the Wal Marts, Loew's B.J's
and Sam's Clubs.

I was talking with a fellow last summer, who indicated that he did
a lot of boondocking in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. He was
going to sent me his list, but I never got it.

The EastCoast RVing_Traveling group has a combination of the national
forests, Wal Marts, Sam's Club some Lowe's plus .

You can reach is by

http://autos.group.yahoo.com/groups/EastCoastRVing_Traveling
HappyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:12 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Pensacola , Florida
Specific sites in Maine

Hi There:

What are the locations of those sites in Maine?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyJoe
Hi There:

What are the locations of those sites in Maine?
They are pretty much scattered in the northern and eastern part of the state . If you can find or send for a ( The Maine Atlas and Gazetteer ) by DeLORME publishing , they are shown in there . Look in the front for the symbol for " primitive campsite " . Great book , shows all the back roads and trails . Good luck
Old 03-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
They are pretty much scattered in the northern and eastern part of the state . If you can find or send for a ( The Maine Atlas and Gazetteer ) by DeLORME publishing , they are shown in there . Look in the front for the symbol for " primitive campsite " . Great book , shows all the back roads and trails . Good luck
Tiki2,

I have my DeLorme Atlas, can you give me those lakes you hoped to and from in Map #'s?
Like Michelle I need to do "THE WILD THING" every now and then I I was looking at some lake and campgrounds in Jackman. ME (Map 39) and found some small campgrounds with power and all. Not as far out as the primatives, but I see no roads to those. We'd never get the AS out there.

Robin THe Round ONE

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Tiki2,

I have my DeLorme Atlas, can you give me those lakes you hoped to and from in Map #'s?
Like Michelle I need to do "THE WILD THING" every now and then I I was looking at some lake and campgrounds in Jackman. ME (Map 39) and found some small campgrounds with power and all. Not as far out as the primatives, but I see no roads to those. We'd never get the AS out there.

Robin THe Round ONE

Robin , the lakes we went to are all off route 9 , also called the Air Line , between Bedington and Crawford , there are many others also . The Ranger Station is just east of where rte 193 cuts off to Cherryfield ( map 25 .
First one was Mopang Second Lake , dash lines are gravel roads , most are very good , but they are gravel .
Second was First Chain Lake 2nd site in , saw eagles there (map 35)
Grand Lake Stream is quit an adventure but it's a long way in with an AS
For a change of pace head over to Jonesport on the ocean.The town operates a small campground on a jetty overlooking the town and harbor , it was less than 10 buck a night. Electric only , no water or sewer , but you can walk to town for lobster.
Best thing to do is stay at a commercial campground in the area then go adventuring sans trailer and see what your comfortable with getting in and out of.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Do you have a fishing pole???????

The Feds made a policy that requires that there be access to rivers for fishing. Have a fishing licence ready and answer the door with pole in hand.
There are many pull off areas near the rivers.
....Another option would be parking at a trail head on The Appalachian Trail. Once I found a parking lot near a river ( It might have been a local park ) A few times I slept on the side of the road. Either Vermont police are very tolerant of sleepy travelers , or there aren't many police around late at night , But so far I have not been bothered.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Robin , the lakes we went to are all off route 9 , also called the Air Line , between Bedington and Crawford , there are many others also . The Ranger Station is just east of where rte 193 cuts off to Cherryfield ( map 25 .
First one was Mopang Second Lake , dash lines are gravel roads , most are very good , but they are gravel .
Second was First Chain Lake 2nd site in , saw eagles there (map 35)
Grand Lake Stream is quit an adventure but it's a long way in with an AS
For a change of pace head over to Jonesport on the ocean.The town operates a small campground on a jetty overlooking the town and harbor , it was less than 10 buck a night. Electric only , no water or sewer , but you can walk to town for lobster.
Best thing to do is stay at a commercial campground in the area then go adventuring sans trailer and see what your comfortable with getting in and out of.
Hope this helps.

It sure does! I pulled my Atlas out and then ZOOMED in with my "Maine Fishing Maps" also by DeLorme which cross references the altlas but focuses on fishing spots, pools, dams, portage, etc. I do see the Station listed on it.

IRichard and I are thinking of checking out a few of these places, call it a "scout out" trip for future backwoods rally/rendevous sites.

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Pensacola , Florida
New England Boomdocking

Hi There: The EastCoastRVing_Traveling group has listed in the northeast
file over 20 sites in New Hampshire and about 25 to 30 sites in
Maine. We have some more Main sites to put in.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Pensacola , Florida
Smile Boondocking in Maine

Hi There

I recently put on the EastCoastRVing_Traveling and the camping
tips group about 20 sites for boondocking in the State of Maine.
Also, some of the roads may lead to other sites.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:55 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Dock'n In New England

Don't know if this meet's the strict definition of Boondocking, and we did so much Stream'n thru N.E. several years ago, I cant't quite remember where Point Folly is but we sure enjoyed our stay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAM'N IN NEW ENGLAND.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	43456