Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2021, 04:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Harvest Host's, Boondocker's questions!

I see there are yearly fee based clubs like Harvest Host's, Boondockers, etc., that list various businesses and locations where people with fully contained RV's can camp for free, where space is available.

I am wondering how successful RV’rs are just asking permission to camp overnight or two, from those same businesses, while visiting their business?

Since the clubs recommend their members purchase something from the business, which is likely to happen any way, I am trying to learn why paying eighty or more dollars a year is beneficial... other than receiving a partial list of area businesses.
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Good question.
I'd think the fee for Harvest Host is to use the app and data base, not to reimburse the Hosts. So yes, I'll bet they'd welcome you.
I wonder if the business has to pay HH to be included???
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
I can only speak first hand of Boondockers. You have have a membership to send a stay request. Until the stay request is accepted you don't know exactly where the location is or who to contact. As a host you receive a request and are able to check feedback and get a little further information on the proposed guest before accepting/rejecting. I don't know how you'd scam that system and I think the $50 yearly is well worth what you get. They may be making a killing on the system but the return for your purchase is pretty worth it, IMO.

I was a host just because I enjoy the occasional visitor and I like RV people. Each time someone stayed at my property I got a credit for three months of Boondockers use. As it doesn't fit my style of travel, making reservations and arriving on a timely basis, I never used my credits.

Possibly you could scam the Harvest Host system but I would think in many instances it would be annoying to the business to work outside the Harvest Host system.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWanderer View Post
I am wondering how successful RV’rs are just asking permission to camp overnight or two, from those same businesses, while visiting their business?

Since the clubs recommend their members purchase something from the business, which is likely to happen any way, I am trying to learn why paying eighty or more dollars a year is beneficial... other than receiving a partial list of area businesses.
From my experience, the hosts would expect you to be a member before they would allow you to camp on their property. They may even ask for your membership number - I think they're supposed to. Through the app you get access to the full database of the hosts, along with their contact information. Not sure what you mean by a partial list.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Granville , Ohio
You are paying for the directory of places. I suppose you could call up random locations to see if they would welcome you. Some may, some may not.
Roadhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
I think from the hosts point of view, what they get by having the membership program is some sense of security regarding who is staying overnight on there property. Not truly a total stranger, as the HH administration (database) will have various info about you, likely including any prior incidents that might have involved you. This must be giving some level of comfort to the host locations. Random folks that pull in off the road, you truly have no idea what you might be getting into. The Harvest Host idea is a great concept, it just doesn't fit the way the wife and I travel. On a road day, we often drive until pretty late in the evening, 8pm or later, and based on where we are late in the day, we start scouting candidate locations. The need to contact a host 24hr in advance just does not line up with our free form traveling very well so we withdrew from the program.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
I can only speak first hand of Boondockers. You have have a membership to send a stay request. Until the stay request is accepted you don't know exactly where the location is or who to contact. As a host you receive a request and are able to check feedback and get a little further information on the proposed guest before accepting/rejecting. I don't know how you'd scam that system and I think the $50 yearly is well worth what you get. They may be making a killing on the system but the return for your purchase is pretty worth it, IMO.

I was a host just because I enjoy the occasional visitor and I like RV people. Each time someone stayed at my property I got a credit for three months of Boondockers use. As it doesn't fit my style of travel, making reservations and arriving on a timely basis, I never used my credits.

Possibly you could scam the Harvest Host system but I would think in many instances it would be annoying to the business to work outside the Harvest Host system.
I am not trying to scam the system, I am trying to cut out paying for a middle man, especially since I am likely to rarely use such a service!

I generally have one or more destinations in mind when I go, head to them and upon arrival, request permission to park overnight when desired. If permission is not granted, it's easy to move a bit further down the road and closer to the next spot on the agenda!

I was primarily wondering if membership gave preferential treatment to those requesting accommodations or if it was a requirement by the business, in order to camp on their property!
Old 03-13-2021, 11:30 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
I think from the hosts point of view, what they get by having the membership program is some sense of security regarding who is staying overnight on there property. Not truly a total stranger, as the HH administration (database) will have various info about you, likely including any prior incidents that might have involved you. This must be giving some level of comfort to the host locations. Random folks that pull in off the road, you truly have no idea what you might be getting into. The Harvest Host idea is a great concept, it just doesn't fit the way the wife and I travel. On a road day, we often drive until pretty late in the evening, 8pm or later, and based on where we are late in the day, we start scouting candidate locations. The need to contact a host 24hr in advance just does not line up with our free form traveling very well so we withdrew from the program.
That makes a lot of sense! Thanks!
Old 03-13-2021, 11:36 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
From my experience, the hosts would expect you to be a member before they would allow you to camp on their property. They may even ask for your membership number - I think they're supposed to. Through the app you get access to the full database of the hosts, along with their contact information. Not sure what you mean by a partial list.
By partial list, I meant a list of only those businesses affiliated with the club and not a listing of every business in an area.

For example, there may be ten businesses in an area and only two are member businesses. Now the other eight businesses not listed might also allow overnight camping, but since they are not listed in the club directory, the club directory is only a partial list of businesses.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:41 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Granville , Ohio
I would guess that many of the non participating Harvest Hosts have been solicited to join and have chosen to not join.
Roadhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
When I’ve used Harvest Hosts, they require a reservation, they require you to sign in, to give your membership number, etc.

If you’d like to use Harvest Hosts, then buy the membership. If not, then don’t buy it. It’s really not that expensive and it’s generally a cool experience.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:20 AM   #12
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I agree with Dennis. It’s not very expensive when you compare it to a night’s stay at a KOA. We certainly don’t need hookups for a one nighter. Another benefit is the reviews published for each location. Those, along with the site description, gives me a pretty good idea of what the location is like. I would not want to do that research on my own, just to save a few dollars.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
berlin , Maryland
Although we haven't used HH yet we like the idea. If someone takes the time to locate businesses that will allow us to spend a nite saving us the trouble as we travel I could care less if they make a few bucks. It is what makes the world go round.
Capt who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:22 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is a lot of variability from location to location with Harvest Hosts. With some of them, you are welcome to stay the night if you are not a member. The fee ranges from $20 to $50 depending on the location..... Others only allow members. I suspect there are some who don't care .... We have not run into any in that category.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #15
IrishMillie

2019 Basecamp
1977 24' Argosy 24
Fruitland Park , Florida
The host are supposed to ask for and record your HH membership number. They take reservations to insure folks who stay have room and a nice experience. I’ve been a member since 2016 and love it. Worth every penny
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWanderer View Post
I see there are yearly fee based clubs like Harvest Host's, Boondockers, etc., that list various businesses and locations where people with fully contained RV's can camp for free, where space is available.

I recently became a host for Boondockers Welcome. Hosts get a 3-month credit toward membership each time they host someone. We haven't used the service yet for camping, but I'm looking forward to it. My sense, in looking at other listings, is that the vast majority of BDW sites are private homes, not businesses. Without joining you would have no way of knowing where they are. I think your question may apply to Harvest Hosts, but not Boondockers Welcome.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
We strongly endorse the Harvest Host program. We have never been turned down in three years of using it. We usually have fun at each location. We spend money at the host location and enjoy what we buy. Sometimes it is not even expected for you to buy something. For example, the KY Railroad museum is a host. The Stafford Air & Space museum in OK was wonderful. They're not always a winery or brewery. The Harvest Host program has greatly enhanced our camping experience.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I think what HH is offering is the ability to book and stay on somebody's land without you having to go knock on strangers doors to ask permission.

Much easier to go someplace certain than wonder the area looking.

$80.00 seems pretty cheap for information that solves the problem of where to be in a strange area.

Or come out west we have hundreds of thousands's of acres of free land to camp on.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Steamboat springs , Colorado
HH membership

We tried HH for a year. One vineyard we were in the parking lot, the view was nice. Unfortunately the host failed to tell us that the vineyard was being sprayed the next morning, and a few people showed up in hazmat suits. Another vineyard, another parking lot on a busy road. Good wine and we bought about $80 worth. Lastly the vineyard that was growing hemp, which was fine. Alas they also we're having a theatre production that night with an after party which lasted until around 3a.m. and they didn't even invite us! In my personal experience it's not worth it. $ spent on membership plus $ spent on the mandatory buy something could be used for something more useful.
deedeerode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' International
Galloway , OH
My wife and I belong to Harvest Hosts. We have only used it a few times but each time the locations have been unique, quiet, the hosts extremely nice, and the view is often nice.

Our most recent stay was at a goat farm in the panhandle of Florida. They make soap and other products from goat milk. My wife got to cuddle baby Goats! She was in heaven.

Other HH locations we have stayed at have been wineries, and an organic grocery store that had a petting zoo.

We have loved our HH stays although we normally spend more shopping at those locations then we'd spend for a night of camping, but that's just us, we like finding unique items to buy.
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote